• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Use of "Military Current Affairs & News" board for RIP messages

Journeyman said:
If the Mods can be sufficiently ruthless to note that "Off topic comments will be deleted" ....

So now you want us to be ruthless with posts we don't feel fit the intent of threads?

Michael O'Leary said:
So now you want us to be ruthless with posts we don't feel fit the intent of threads?

I'm merely quoting the thread's title.
Thoughts and Prayers
Updates, tributes and memorials for Canadian soldiers who have been injured or killed. Off topic comments will be deleted.

We're both well aware how much weight my opinion carries regarding Mods  ;)

Here is what is currently happening with these threads.

When created, the bulk of the threads in question start out as a news item.
That is, a press release or news story.  The names are added to the threads
after we are sure the names have been publicly released.

Once the thread hits 90 days after the first post, it is moved to the Thoughts
& Prayers board.  This is usually well after the thread has become inactive,
so most people do not notice the move.  When it is moved, they are renamed.
Usually in the format of: Rank, Name, Unit, Date.

The move keeps the thread from being completely buried inside the "newsroom"
and makes it easier to find long term for those looking.

The only difficulty I see with that format is

there is the initial newsclip
    there are generally a bit of query, couple of updates
    then it becomes almost exclusively a condolance thread

any updates added after that are hard to find....do you suggest starting a new news thread, or just leave it like it is?

old medic said:
The move keeps the thread from being completely buried inside the "newsroom"
and makes it easier to find long term for those looking.

Understood....but this method does nothing* for the short-term searching for news/details/updates....when many of us have concerns for friends currently in harms' way

* other than :salute: from people like tess, of course  ;)

Maybe you could start a "Cheesy" Thoughts and Prayers section to placate everyone?  Throw some flags into the mix too.
:salute:

can we get someone to design a smiley ramp party?

:salute::deadhorse: :salute:

THis is a discussion site and people are bound to discuss.
Threads with news on our fallen brothers and sisters (including sometimes critisim of various things) get combined with "RIP" threads.

What do the mods think about seperating threads containing news updates and discussions with ones containing RIP comments.

Personally if I knew someone who passed away I would appreciate the option of reading a RIP thread including comments from people who served with them and not have to sift through the various  (and ever changing) news articles, comments and speculation.  If I did want to read that then I could at my own choosing.

Does that sound like a decent idea?

I have started a Remembering: 11 April 2007 2 Cdn Fallen thread in "Thoughts and Prayers" forum.

Thread Link

Back