• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Presidential Election 2024 - Trump vs Harris - Vote Hard with a Vengence

Well obviously we need to pop quiz her and plunk her in front of the fry station. /s

The takeaway I’m seeing here is that the GOP has criticized her on all sorts of policies as VP. Some valid, some less so. So why are they down to “she didn’t work at McDonalds during college”? Is that seriously going to be a wedge issue for folks choosing POTUS?

From the Snopes article linked:

Aside from the above-mentioned news reports, there was no tangible evidence of Harris working at McDonald's as a college student. We reached out to Harris' campaign, as well as McDonald's headquarters, seeking tax records or other proof — which could include photos or videos of her working at the restaurant, employment records or physical items such as a uniform or name tag. We also reached out to Harris' sister, Maya, as well as a close friend from Howard University seeking comment, and looked for public interviews by friends or family members of Harris' to confirm the story, with no luck.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I wouldn’t generally keep stuff from a part-time job almost 40 years ago. Nor would I be really taking photos (or have photos taken of me) working said part time job in the 1980s. I wouldn’t waste film or videocassette time on my time working the cash at McDs. Also, if I was McD corporate, I wouldn’t want to be dragged into this - and that’s assuming they keep track of every single employee in the past 40+ years.

I can maybe get “if she lies about this, what else is she lying about” line of questioning, but having “They’re eating the dogs” Trump pushing that narrative is absolutely hilarious.

Well obviously we need to pop quiz her and plunk her in front of the fry station. /s
It's hardly an issue worth pursuing, but, yes, usually the burden of proof is not on proving the negative.
The takeaway I’m seeing here is that the GOP has criticized her on all sorts of policies as VP. Some valid, some less so. So why are they down to “she didn’t work at McDonalds during college”? Is that seriously going to be a wedge issue for folks choosing POTUS?
Issue of character. People shouldn't pad their resumes. What does it say if a person pads their resume with chickensh!t in an effort to pander to voters?

It's hardly an issue worth pursuing, but, yes, usually the burden of proof is not on proving the negative.

Issue of character. People shouldn't pad their resumes. What does it say if a person pads their resume with chickensh!t in an effort to pander to voters?
I see your point, but no offense to former or current McDs employees, saying you worked there during school isn’t really padding anything.

But to answer that question, exactly what would satisfy the people concerned that she didn’t work at McDs in the 80s? Her sister saying she did? McDonald’s corporate releasing some sort of worksheet? Would there be MAGA supporters going after them for doing so? Past examples have seen their supporters going after people and corporations who don’t parrot their views.

Shrug I no longer have a shred of proof that I worked at Canadian Tire in 2006, or Home Depot in 2009. I definitely didn’t take photos of me working at either, and never kept in touch with any coworkers there. Not being able prove a college job several decades ago? IMO this is a nothingberder by team Trump.
You didn't keep one of the iconic orange aprons?

I see your point, but no offense to former or current McDs employees, saying you worked there during school isn’t really padding anything.

But to answer that question, exactly what would satisfy the people concerned that she didn’t work at McDs in the 80s? Her sister saying she did? McDonald’s corporate releasing some sort of worksheet? Would there be MAGA supporters going after them for doing so? Past examples have seen their supporters going after people and corporations who don’t parrot their views.
Politicians want to connect with voters. Politicians shouldn't lie about their past to connect with voters. She's definitely being held to a higher standard than Biden - his repeated false onion belt stories rarely did more than cause eyes to roll.

Anyone who keeps income tax returns indefinitely probably has a copy of an employer-provided form confirming earnings.

Anyone who keeps income tax returns indefinitely probably has a copy of an employer-provided form confirming earnings.
Sure, but most of us at some point need room in our filing cabinet and purge a bunch of old stuff, or toss it in a move.

When I was 16 I worked as meat cutter at IGA. IGA isn’t much of a thing anymore. Pretty sure some of the butchers I worked with are dead and the ones that aren’t likely don’t remember one of many kids that cycled through there.

And at that age I didn’t really think about saving my tax info beyond the immediate need to file and then forget. I might have a shoe box with that somewhere but I doubt it.

And no I didn’t keep the unholy green aprons and pants they made us wear…

Sure, but most of us at some point need room in our filing cabinet and purge a bunch of old stuff, or toss it in a move.
I suspect that the half-full banker's box I throw my copy of my T1+receipts into every year has all my returns. If so, at worst I can use it to verify my CPP, one day.

Regardless, I like the idea of politicians squirming to prove their onion-belt stories. The problem starts with them, not with their critics.

I suspect that the half-full banker's box I throw my copy of my T1+receipts into every year has all my returns. If so, at worst I can use it to verify my CPP, one day.

Regardless, I like the idea of politicians squirming to prove their onion-belt stories. The problem starts with them, not with their critics.
Like proving you had a paper route to show you did something outside of politics or that you didn’t your dad give you millions while claiming you are self made?

Sure. But in the end I don’t think it really matters.

Hopefully, one would keep at least the seven years of past returns that CRA can have a second look at. I'll grant keeping the over 50 years of my past returns is a little excessive, but now I claim they are genealogical records (shows where I lived/worked and who/when I married/divorced). They don't take up a lot of space and having been audited reviewed twice, my records showed that the error I made was in favour of the government that resulted in them writing me the cheque instead of me owing them.

Based on what is reported:

The petition Musk is asking people to sign reads: "The First and Second Amendments guarantee freedom of speech and the right to bear arms. By signing below, I am pledging my support for the First and Second Amendments."
Attendees of Saturday's event had to sign the petition, which allows America PAC to garner contact details for more potential voters that it can work to get to the polls for Trump.

It would be legal, as it isn’t directly buying votes. But contact details, well speaking from experience once the Trump team gets them you can attempt to remove yourself but it has been well over 4 years and I still get MAGA spam and money requests regardless of how many times I remove myself from their rolls.
Same with the Cons in Canada. Sign this petition and then its constant begging and frothing for money by text message, email etc. and quite frankly it’s annoying.

Sure. But in the end I don’t think it really matters.
Along with all the other things Trump says that infuriate people, it distracts them. They waste time talking and writing about it instead of more substantive issues. The payoff is huge compared to the few seconds it takes to utter it.

Back