• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Navy to donate its last SSK

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
The US Navy will "donate" its last diesel-electric submarine though it still is said to have another on loan from the Swedish.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070203/ap_on_re_us/submarine_donation

Navy seeks new owner for San Diego sub
By THOMAS WATKINS, Associated Press Writer
Fri Feb 2, 8:32 PM ET

SAN DIEGO - Free to a good home: vintage submarine, recently restored. One prior owner.

ADVERTISEMENT

That's not quite how the notice is worded, but that's the message from the Navy, which is looking for someone to take over the USS Dolphin, one of the oldest submarines in its fleet.

The Dolphin, a one-of-a-kind research vessel, was commissioned in 1968. In a notice published in this week's Federal Register, the Navy said it will accept offers from government agencies, nonprofit groups or other institutions willing to make the submarine into a museum.

The Navy hopes to keep the vessel in its home port of San Diego. Any new owner will also be required to keep the 165-foot sub in good condition.

"The donee will be required to maintain the vessel as a static display in a condition that is satisfactory to the Secretary of the Navy," the notice states.

Navy spokeswoman Pat Dolan said the Navy started its vessel donation program in 1945, when it gave the battleship Texas, a dreadnought that fought in both World Wars, to a state historic site near Houston. At least 47 other boats have been donated through the program, Dolan said.

Navy spokesman Lt. John Gay said the Dolphin was decommissioned Jan. 15 because the type of acoustic and engineering research it did could be performed by other vessels. Even so, the Navy spent about $60 million repairing the sub after it caught fire in May 2002.

Despite the recent investment in the Dolphin, Gay said, getting rid of the boat would save money in the long term, as operating costs for the aging vessel were more than $18 million a year.

The Dolphin was the last diesel-electric submarine in the U.S. fleet, though the Navy still has at least one other on lease from Sweden, Gay said.

Aspiring submarine owners have until March to submit offers.

___

On the Net:

Navy Ship Donation Program, http://www.navsea.navy.mil/ndp/

From how I see it, instead of donating/selling to this old diesel boat as a static museum, I think it would be better used by America's ally Taiwan/the ROC, since it is in badly in need of subs to stave any future invasion by mainland China. The ROC Navy only has 2 Dutch-made "Hai-Lung" class subs and 2 "Guppy" modernized WW2 era subs, which are all it has to face more than 60 Chinese submarines the Chinese Navy/PLAN has.

It may be old, but it could still be useful in Taiwanese hands. I'll leave it to the opinions of the professionals on this board to confirm just how useful it will be.

CougarKing said:
From how I see it, instead of donating/selling to this old diesel boat as a static museum, I think it would be better used by America's ally Taiwan/the ROC, since it is in badly in need of subs to stave any future invasion by mainland China. The ROC Navy only has 2 Dutch-made "Hai-Lung" class subs and 2 "Guppy" modernized WW2 era subs, which are all it has to face more than 60 Chinese submarines the Chinese Navy/PLAN has.

It may be old, but it could still be useful in Taiwanese hands. I'll leave it to the opinions of the professionals on this board to confirm just how useful it will be.

From what I remember about the Dolphin, it's not in much of a fighting shape. Being a research boat, it's been outfitted with tons of cool gadgets that aren't that useful in fighting a war.

Could it have some sort of use? Yes
Would it be worth it? Doubtful.

It could probably be used as some sort of "recce" boat, but that's about it. Taiwan, if it wants to get subs, would be better off buying... say... Oberons. That wouldn't be very good, but it'd be better than a research boat.

Frederik G said:
Taiwan, if it wants to get subs, would be better off buying... say... Oberons. That wouldn't be very good, but it'd be better than a research boat.

Yes, buying Oberons wouldn't be "very good at all", since they're quite old; they're even older than the two Dutch-made Hai Lung class diesel submarines which were sold to Taiwan in the 1980s.

Perhaps Taiwan should consider other prospective sub vendors like Sweden and Germany, with the latter known for its best-selling Type 209 class subs; the only problem with this is that neither Sweden or Germany recognize Taiwan as the "One China" and instead recognize mainland China/Beijing as China, so they would not want to jeopardize their trade with the mainland (Volkwagen Boras, which are similar to VW Jettas here, were pretty common in Beijing the last time I was in China) by selling weapons to Taiwan.

And I highly doubt that the Russians would sell any of their diesel subs to Taiwan since they've already sold Kilo class subs to mainland China and would not want to jeopardize their relationship with their long-time ally and partner.

Thus, it is left to the US govt. to decide whether they're willing to sell any subs- whether old or new- to Taiwan; either Bush or the new President in 2008 will have to decide whether to piss off their Chinese trading partners and sell subs to Taiwan or let the status quo continue with the growing Chinese naval buildup. They cannot allow the imbalance to continue, if they want to keep the PRC's possible expansionist aims in check; they also have the Taiwan Relations Act of 1979 to consider, since they are bound by this law to come to Taiwan's aid if the PRC invades.

Cougarking,

The USS Dolphin would not be useful to anyone as a warship.  It was used as a research sub and is not equiped to undertake wartime roles and would, IMHO, cost as much as a brand new sub to retrofit for such role. It wouldnt be a good "bang for your buck" situation.

CougarKing said:
is said to have another on loan from the Swedish.

That submarine is the "Gottland"....IIRC it is a Sweedish Navy A-19 class boat.  I have had the pleasure of having it as a target several times now.

cdnaviator said:
That sunbmarine is the "Gottland"....IIRC it is a Sweedish Navy A-19 class boat.  I have had the pleasure of having it as a target several times now.

I think this may be infringing on OPSEC, but since you "targeted" it in an exercise, did you "sink" it? ;D

Never mind, I'll go back to my lane, sir.   :-X

CougarKing said:
I think this may be infringing on OPSEC, but since you "targeted" it in an exercise, did you "sink" it? ;D

You would be correct, i wont be discussing that further.

Never mind, I'll go back to my lane, sir.   :-X

I'm not an officer.....

Back