• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Here is a picture that was taken during the International Women's Day Display showing off the prototype Canadian Army Service Dress.

View attachment 83660
Few observations:
  1. So far, we've only seen officer uniforms, who don't wear trade or marksmanship badges on the lower sleeves. Any chance those might be removed for NCMs?
  2. No division or brigade badges. I assume this is just a prototype thing and not an indication
  3. The epaulets have a Canada badge, which seems to fit with RegF and a few ResF units replacing the Canada shoulder flash for cloth unit badges.
  4. I'm probably reading too much into it.

I’m sure some RSMs will ensure that various regiments maintain their random differences.
I wonder if the artillery Instructor in Gunnery and Assistant Instructor in Gunnery hats will be authorized or will only be allowed in artillery schools.

Few observations:
  1. So far, we've only seen officer uniforms, who don't wear trade or marksmanship badges on the lower sleeves. Any chance those might be removed for NCMs?
  2. No division or brigade badges. I assume this is just a prototype thing and not an indication
  3. The epaulets have a Canada badge, which seems to fit with RegF and a few ResF units replacing the Canada shoulder flash for cloth unit badges.
The shoulder titles on the mannequin say RCHA, the same as the cap badge and buttons.

Yeah that’s inoffensively fine.
That made me laugh out loud.

Is there going to be all the same random bling attached or are we reducing that ? Ie do we need a command badge ?
Oh I think we all know the answer to that :sneaky:

My question is why anyone (regardless of uniform) wears a command badge unless by exception? For example - if an RCAF member is serving in a unit within RCAF command, they shouldn’t need to wear a command badge - it’s pretty obvious that they are in the RCAF. However, if they are an RCAF person (say an HRA) serving onboard a ship, then they should wear an RCN Command badge.

Few observations:
It’s likely just a demo for the fit/cut. No point specifically having all the bling on (or have a disclaimer sign saying “imagine the rest of the CAF bling”).

I wonder if the artillery Instructor in Gunnery and Assistant Instructor in Gunnery hats will be authorized or will only be allowed in artillery schools.
Are they allowed outside the schools now? I haven’t seen one of those in the wild, but then again I’m not in the Arty.

No more command badge - cost too much to produce.
Tease GIF by Shark Week

It’s likely just a demo for the fit/cut. No point specifically having all the bling on (or have a disclaimer sign saying “imagine the rest of the CAF bling”).

Are they allowed outside the schools now? I haven’t seen one of those in the wild, but then again I’m not in the Arty.
The rule was (is?) that you had to actually be conducting instructional duties to wear the IG/AIG hat. Not on parade and not randomly walking around base.

Would everyone wear that hat?
Myself and my kind won't be.

My guess would be that we will probably end up with something similar to the British.
Scottish and Irish won't change
Armoured will probably still wear berets
The Princess Louise Fusiliers will probably still wear berets because of their hackel
Rifle Regiments may still wear the beret because it's actually the right colour for them, and because the jumpers in the QOR wouldn't be able to go that long without wearing their maroon berets.

Myself and my kind won't be.

My guess would be that we will probably end up with something similar to the British.
Scottish and Irish won't change
Armoured will probably still wear berets
The Princess Louise Fusiliers will probably still wear berets because of their hackel
Rifle Regiments may still wear the beret because it's actually the right colour for them, and because the jumpers in the QOR wouldn't be able to go that long without wearing their maroon berets.
I imagine it would be similar to now. Whatever you wear with DEU now with the Forage Cap replacing « beret » . Instances where other headdress is authorized would remain on the books and i assume changes would have to be requested by individual units for an update to the regs.

I hope so, forage caps are sick. Berets look awful with the full suit. It's hard to explain but your head looks way too small against the bulky DEU suit.
But how do you attach your regimental feather or other garnish? Also a Sam Browne for the Officers?
Prince%20Charles%20Visit-160%20Wearing%20a%20Sam%20Browne%20and%20Lanyard.jpg

But how do you attach your regimental feather or other garnish? Also a Sam Browne for the Officers?
Prince%20Charles%20Visit-160%20Wearing%20a%20Sam%20Browne%20and%20Lanyard.jpg
I stand by what I said, I still think it looks dumb haha. Also ,I'm 100% on board for officer Sam Browne's. Looks cool. LCF is an important factor in Army dress uniforms imo. Outward projections to the public matter.

That made me laugh out loud.

Oh I think we all know the answer to that :sneaky:

My question is why anyone (regardless of uniform) wears a command badge unless by exception? For example - if an RCAF member is serving in a unit within RCAF command, they shouldn’t need to wear a command badge - it’s pretty obvious that they are in the RCAF. However, if they are an RCAF person (say an HRA) serving onboard a ship, then they should wear an RCN Command badge.

Makes sense. I remember there being lots of groans when the RCAF Command Badge was released. It really seemed like a redundant piece of kit for the members already in blue.

That said, the RCN has resisted the trend to produce their own command badge insignia for their service dress. Perhaps they know something the other commands don't?

^^
When I worked for ADM IM, they gave me a command badge. I never wore it. Nobody said a damn thing to me. The badges are just another stupid thing to put a hole in your shirt and jacket.

Back