• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Maybe in your corner of the CAF, but I can assure you every time someone has referend to No. 1s in my 20+ years, it has meant either No. 1 or No. 1A.

Excuse me... I need a little drink right about now ;)

Turn Up Reaction GIF by Laff

No. 1 is DEU with medals, belts, and gloves. No. 1A is DEU with medals.

I believe the orders of dress you are referring to are No. 1B(full dress), 1C(patrol dress), and 1D(patrol with ribbons).

Dress instructions | Annex A Ceremonial dress - No. 1 - Canada.ca
You're correct, for now.

Depending on what happens with the Army Service Dress project and the recent reinstatement of 1B through D as orders of dress in the CA Dress Instructions; I can see "DEU 1/1A" falling out of practice, depending on outcomes.

You're correct, for now.

Depending on what happens with the Army Service Dress project and the recent reinstatement of 1B through D as orders of dress in the CA Dress Instructions; I can see "DEU 1/1A" falling out of practice, depending on outcomes.
Hey, did someone mention “cutting $1B out of the budget”? :ROFLMAO:

You're correct, for now.

Except for the other three elements of the CAF that don't have those orders of dress.

Hey, did someone mention “cutting $1B out of the budget”? :ROFLMAO:
Optional orders of dress often become "required for duties, at member's expense." See Mess Kit.

Except for the other three elements of the CAF that don't have those orders of dress.
That's great for the RCAF/RCN. CA has its own Dress Instructions that include those orders of dress. Hopefully it will mean far fewer Skittle parades in the future.

Optional orders of dress often become "required for duties, at member's expense." See Mess Kit.
The RCN has had 1C and 1D for a long time as an optional dress, and it has yet to become mandatory for most of the RCN. I think a few positions "require" it, but I suspect at that stage it's just a cost of doing business.

That's great for the RCAF/RCN. CA has its own Dress Instructions that include those orders of dress. Hopefully it will mean far fewer Skittle parades in the future.
The RCN has a set of dress instructions as well... We still wear the same orders of dress as others on parades. I've never see a summer parade where navy members are ordered to wear No 1C while army, air and special forces members wear No. 1A.

Unless you are part of a unit/parade that has only CA members present, it is unlikely things will change much even with new uniforms. I've never seen two people in a unit on parade in different orders of dress, apart from special positions. So as I indicated before, for most of the CAF there will be little change in the meaning of "No. 1s"...

Except for al the Uber-Colonial things of course ;)

View attachment 80612

View attachment 80613

View attachment 80614
The first two are money making tourist events and good for the local economy. There would be an uproar from Quebec City & Parks Canada (Park Canada depends on the entrance fee from the tourist to help maintain the Citadel), and the City of Ottawa if these two ceremonies were cancelled. The last one .... debatable. Should RMC quit being a military university and become like Sandhurst or retain its status quo?

The first two are money making tourist events and good for the local economy. There would be an uproar from Quebec City & Parks Canada (Park Canada depends on the entrance fee from the tourist to help maintain the Citadel), and the City of Ottawa if these two ceremonies were cancelled. The last one .... debatable. Should RMC quit being a military university and become like Sandhurst or retain its status quo?
The CG hasn’t paraded since Covid. Last summer, the CG Band would play for half an hour from 1000. The CG may be back next year though.

Like in the "old" army. "Required" for some. And while it may be purchased at own expense for others who may "optionally" wear it, not everyone gets to decide when they may wear it.

From The RCR
1696988807441.png

to The Black Watch
1696989200491.png

To RC Sigs
1696989378868.png

I suspect it was removed because you can't polish brown rough-out boots that are most commonly worn on a daily basis, rather than to stop people from polishing shoes/boots for parades.

I'm pretty sure a parade order can tell people to polish their boots for the occasion, as it doesn't counter any orders in the dress manual, meerly

It’s not the hill I’d die on but someone might be up for the challenge🙂

No - it’s DEU 1C and 1D. The closest RCN equivalent would be if high collar whites were allowed all year.
And the Navy white tunic can be worn by Army pers as a summer Patrol Dress. Just the tunic, pants, boots and headdress are the same as Patrols.

And the Navy white tunic can be worn by Army pers as a summer Patrol Dress. Just the tunic, pants, boots and headdress are the same as Patrols.
I seem to recall there is a set of Patrols in the FGH museum made in white linen for a RegForce Garry officer in the very early 70s . He was serving with the IJCC or what the body was the was stood up with the American withdrawal from Vietnam.

Back