• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

I strongly disagree with this. Knowing what the soldiers your leading actually do is to me critical. How are you supposed to mentor junior leaders when you have never done the job they’re doing ?

I absolutely agree with you. So can we make that a PAN CAF policy again ?

Because that is fully not the concept of SEMs for the CWO corps. Unless you're combat arms. Then your numbers are protected and you get some of everyone else.

How can an RSM in a Bn assess the performance of his CSMs if he’s never set a CCP / controlled the fast pack done any other CSM job ? That’s absurd.

It is you're correct.

Beggin yer pardon but you put an RCAF CWO as RSM - it won’t be pretty. And an Army RSM at the unit level is not an administrator. Ask any Infantry type.

I agree with you.

The theory behind the CWO Corps disagrees with you.

Unless you're Combat Arms. Then your positions are protected and you get some of everyone else too.

I think @Halifax Tar was pointing out that the whole Chief Corps concept was never really going to work as intended, because so many positions require a direct knowledge of the unit and how it functions. What happened though is those units protect certain trade's CWO positions, but mean that the support side of the house lost it's protection. As an example, the CFINT Gp CWO isn't an Int Op, or Met Tech, the trades that belong to the branch.

Hit the nail on the head.

The total number of Cdr/LCol+ is (last I looked) about 3x the number of CPO1/CWO. Lots more officers to cull in a sickly season than CWOs.
I was told, many, many years decades ago, by an officer who, I believe, actually knew the score, that the mid-1960s decision to "benchmark" military occupations against the civil service was goring along smoothly until someone said, "Right, now directors ..."

Then, as now, a director in the civil service is the first executive level - where technical skill and knowledge meet policy. So, easy, right? The first executive level in the military is ship's captain, battalion/regimental CO and RCAF squadron CO ... right? I mean those really are executive positions, aren't they?

Well, maybe not ... or at least not so fast. Back circa 1965 the title director wasn't used much in the military except inn the Army where they was a DArty and DInf and DSigs and so on ... all full colonels. "Look," said a couple of senior officers, "if we make all our directors captains(N) and colonels and group captains then we will get big pay raises for our boys." (There weren't many women at all in their CF in 1965 and damned few of that few were colonels.)

Anyway, that's what happened so a real executive gave up command of his ship unit or squadron and came to Ottawa and was a section head, a technical expert while (s)he had to wait for promotion to be an executive, again.

I absolutely agree with you. So can we make that a PAN CAF policy again ?

Because that is fully not the concept of SEMs for the CWO corps. Unless you're combat arms. Then your numbers are protected and you get some of everyone else.

It is you're correct.

I agree with you.

The theory behind the CWO Corps disagrees with you.

Unless you're Combat Arms. Then your positions are protected and you get some of everyone else too.

Hit the nail on the head.
Right misread you. Terrible option all around

How can an RSM in a Bn assess the performance of his CSMs if he’s never set a CCP / controlled the fast pack done any other CSM job ? That’s absurd.
Isn't the OC doing the performance assessment for the CSM?

I pay into a Sqn fund. Completely optional and mostly supports things like BBQs on Ground Trg Days and Christmas parties. $7/month. No one does extras in the AF and certainly not for opting to not pay into the Fund. They just have to pay for their burgers at GTD BBQ.

Air Force version of Regt Dues?

I pay into a Sqn fund. Completely optional and mostly supports things like BBQs on Ground Trg Days and Christmas parties. $7/month. No one does extras in the AF and certainly not for opting to not pay into the Fund. They just have to pay for their burgers at GTD BBQ.

Air Force version of Regt Dues?

I'll give you an example of how the Army rolls...

Have you seen the 'Museum of the Regiments' in Calgary? Very nice, worth a visit The Military Museums - The Military Museums

Someone on here will correct me but, as I understand it, it was mostly funded by the 'involuntary' contributions of thousands of soldiers passing through various training depots in Alberta. I'm guessing that few of them visited it, either.

Ironically, soon after it was built, the CAF shut down CFB Calgary and moved everyone to Edmonton.

I'll give you an example of how the Army rolls...

Have you seen the 'Museum of the Regiments' in Calgary? Very nice, worth a visit The Military Museums - The Military Museums

Someone on here will correct me but, as I understand it, it was mostly funded by the 'involuntary' contributions of thousands of soldiers passing through various training depots in Alberta. I'm guessing that few of them visited it, either.

Ironically, soon after it was built, the CAF shut down CFB Calgary and moved everyone to Edmonton.

Nice museum, not sure I'll say I support the funding model. :rolleyes:

Sqn Fund = free hot dogs!! I'll stick with the Sqn Fund.

Back