• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. 2012 Election

On Nov 6 Who Will Win President Obama or Mitt Romney ?

• President Obama

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ModlrMike said:
But if they didn't actually cast a vote is it voter fraud?

Even an attempt to cast a vote is a crime.
(regardless of intent)

On another note, everything we have all said prior to today is all moot.

It seems the Presidential race is all but over, and Newt Gingrich will be the winner.

Why you may ask? See for yourself....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/01/chuck-norris-backs-gingrich-in-nomination-battle.html

What Newt Learned From Nixon
"Conservatives may denounce class warfare, yet by shrewdly combining the politics of class with the politics of culture, Newt Gingrich won his first election in 14 years, humbled Mitt Romney and upended the Republican Party.

He also exposed profound frailties in Romney as a candidate, throwing him badly off-balance on questions related to his personal wealth, business career and income taxes. Unless Romney finds a comfortable and genuine way of talking about his money, he will present President Obama’s team a weakness that they’ll exploit mercilessly. The country is thinking more skeptically about wealth and privilege in the wake of the Occupy Wall Street protests. Romney has not adjusted.

Gingrich skillfully set up his opponent to step on the landmine of class by transforming Romney from his self-cast role as a successful businessman into a heartless financier more interested in profits than in job creation. "

Linke here - http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/what_newt_learned_from_nixon_20120122/

Looks like Mit could ne Red meat for Either "Eye of Newt" or Obama

"Well, what have we here? Said the big old bear - Nom! Nom! Nom!"

Now If Ron Paul cal learn from this ...

Mitt Romney looks like an aluminum siding salesman.

"Trust me. Would I screw you?"

Kalatzi said:
Linke here - http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/what_newt_learned_from_nixon_20120122/

Looks like Mit could ne Red meat for Either "Eye of Newt" or Obama

"Well, what have we here? Said the big old bear - Nom! Nom! Nom!"

Now If Ron Paul cal learn from this ...

Just what are you trying to say? I am confused by your gibberish.

Please clarify.

Jim Seggie said:
Just what are you trying to say? I am confused by your gibberish.

Please clarify.

So it wasn't just me then. :nod:

Redeye said:
I guess you just haven't gotten around to issuing - no wait - I mean just cutting and pasting - your sharp condemnation of James O'Keefe's antics?

Since I haven't been able to find them, can you please linkback to your posts decrying the illegal exposure of US surveillance efforts against the financial system of Islamic terror groups by the NY times during the Bush administration?

Thucydides said:
Since I haven't been able to find them, can you please linkback to your posts decrying the illegal exposure of US surveillance efforts against the financial system of Islamic terror groups by the NY times during the Bush administration?

I'm sorry, non sequitur much?

So, what was with the Florida primary debate last night? All this nonsense about Cuba I kind of expected. For what it's worth, without the blockade giving Fidel some legitimacy, I suspect that the USSR's collapse would have ended Cuba's "revolution", but the bad guy to point to made it easier to rally Cubans around their leadership and endure the "special period". When they then got onto Terri Schiavo, I was really shaking my head, and like David Frum, I was wondering when Elian Gonzalez was going to come up for discussion. I think of all the debates I've watched (which is most of them), this one was probably the worst. I laughed at Frum's Twitter feed. I can almost imagine it won't be long before he throws his hands up and endorses President Obama.

Newt's winning SC will be interesting when people also look at Romney's tax returns and the grudging manner in which he finally released them. I think Newt would be the better candidate for Obama, because he's probably a lot easier to beat, but we'll see how it goes.

It did set the stage for an interesting State of the Union speech tonight.

Redeye said:
I laughed at Frum's Twitter feed. I can almost imagine it won't be long before he throws his hands up and endorses President Obama.

You may not be far off. Frum is so dissatisfied with the way the GOP and the Conservatives have swung so far to the right, and have limited themselves to an obstructionist agenda that he felt he could no longer defend their actions in his bi-weekly point / counterpoint essay with Robert Riesh (sp?) on NPR's Market Place, so he stepped down. And a lot of the more recent interviews and appearances I've seen, he's been very critical of the lack of choice in the GOP race.

President Obama is setting the stage for quite a contest this year. He's highlighting obstructionism and corruption brilliantly. Whoever crafted this message and this speech is a genius, because while he's not actually pointing partisan fingers, anyone watching will get the subtext right away.

Redeye said:
President Obama is setting the stage for quite a contest this year. He's highlighting obstructionism and corruption brilliantly. Whoever crafted this message and this speech is a genius, because while he's not actually pointing partisan figures, anyone watching will get the subtext right away.

He sure speaks pretty that is for sure...to bad there isn't much substance behind the words.  The GOP is doing itself no favours, with a stellar cast of the usual dry offerings that might have won against another democrat but IMHO not against Obama.  The Dems have gotten good at crafting their message, while the GOP has seem to fractured into camps with various competing messages.

That's a fair comment. SOTU speeches, however, generally are crafted that way. They're not meant to be campaign speeches. They're supposed to walk a balance of sorts.

I agree about the GOP - except, they're doing worse than that - they've basically offered a slate (on the POTUS race, at least) of offerings that are unpalatable to most people. And frankly, the debates are just making them look even worse. They're playing right into the Dem's hand in an election that was probably theirs to lose.

MJP said:
He sure speaks pretty that is for sure...to bad there isn't much substance behind the words.  The GOP is doing itself no favours, with a stellar cast of the usual dry offerings that might have won against another democrat but IMHO not against Obama.  The Dems have gotten good at crafting their message, while the GOP has seem to fractured into camps with various competing messages.

MJP said:

That pretty much sums it up......we (Canada) should bake and sent a congratulation cake to Obama.....like about next month.

President Obama's legacy will be the first black President,most radical as far as agenda is concerned.He has packed his administration with radical environmentalists and anti-business activists. Twenty years ago I would have laughed off seeing a Manchurian candidate getting elected,now its reality.First time around the media hid the real Obama from the voter,this time around he has a record that will be very hard to put lipstick on.

tomahawk6 said:
First time around the media hid the real Obama from the voter,this time around he has a record that will be very hard to put lipstick on.

I agree with you on this point. I think that many folks will take the ' I'm from Missouri, show me ' approach. President Obama's administration has had plenty of time to do their thing. The media and the elitist 1% celebs won't be able to hold back the adverse sentiment.

tomahawk6 said:
President Obama's legacy will be the first black President,most radical as far as agenda is concerned.He has packed his administration with radical environmentalists and anti-business activists. Twenty years ago I would have laughed off seeing a Manchurian candidate getting elected,now its reality.First time around the media hid the real Obama from the voter,this time around he has a record that will be very hard to put lipstick on.

Wow. You sound like you watch a lot of Glenn Beck type stuff. That's a load of crap. Nothing about his agenda was particularly radical, nor even particularly new. Healthcare reform? Not a new idea, hell, even Republicans endorsed the idea of an individual mandate, and it's been around as a concept about as long as America has. Anti-business? Hardly. He's against business running the country, because that's what the Constitution says. The very concept of the US Republic is government by of and for the people, not by of and for its business sector.

Nothing really of his core platform was a surprise or was hidden by the media. He set out what he wanted to do and set upon doing what he could to the extent possible (which wasn't a great extent, given the nature of the legislative arm of the United States Government at the moment.

He's set up a message to his core supporters and to independents that is fairly clear - here's what I came to do, here's what I did, here's what I want to do, and here's why I can't. That's pretty clear, and I think it'll likely resonate.

I guess you're proving that propaganda works. If he was really some kind of "radical leftist", then I'd wager that actual "radical leftists" would be a little more supportive of him rather than whining about how he won't do what they want.

State of the Union or campaign speech? Boston Herald editorial:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/editorials/view.bg?articleid=1398504

Prez fans the flames
By Boston Herald Editorial Staff
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - Updated 9 hours ago

State of the Union addresses are inherently political. But there is something a bit unseemly about seeing the president exploit the raw insecurity many Americans feel about their finances, for election-year advantage. This White House rarely hesitates to go there and President Barack Obama did so again last night.

It was less an assessment of the state of our union than it was a campaign kickoff — sandwiched, not coincidentally, between a weekend of glitzy fundraisers and a road trip to five states key to the November election.

The reliable villains — Republicans who obstruct his agenda, those monocled millionaires and billionaires with the gall to build businesses and pay the bulk of the nation’s taxes, even oil companies — all played foil.

Anyone who wants to restore an economy based on “outsourcing, bad debt and phony financial profits” will be denied, he promised, calling upon his trusty straw man. And the wealthy must pay their “fair share,” he insisted, while once again perpetuating the myth that Warren Buffett’s secretary (a guest in the First Lady’s box) shoulders a higher tax burden than her billionaire boss.

And in rhetoric worth of an Occupy general assembly Obama led us to believe that we can tax our way to income equality. The false choice: Between maintaining tax breaks for the wealthy — or making investments in “everything else,” but especially education, medical research, a strong military and care for veterans. Nope, no politicking there.

Obama deservedly had his moment to revel in the demise of Osama bin Laden. And in a speech themed “An America Built to Last” he outlined initiatives to promote high-tech manufacturing and develop new sources of renewable energy to help strengthen the middle class, which would be fine if we weren’t all suffering from post-Solyndra syndrome.

Much of the president’s message reflects the genuine concerns of the middle class as the economy sputters and millions of Americans seek only that “fair shot” he described. But this country has long resisted the notion of punishing success. Team Obama, it seems, is making it a priority.

A useful survey of the coming election campaign, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisons of the Copyright Act from the Financial Post:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/01/24/terence-corcoran-the-united-states-of-envy/
Terence Corcoran: The United States of Envy

Terence Corcoran

Jan 24, 2012

Welcome to the United States of Envy, land of the free and home of the brave so long as nobody makes too much more money than the next guy

Republican candidate Mitt Romney could have released his income tax returns two days ago or two weeks from now. Instead, he dumped 500 pages of his returns into America’s raging class warfare zone on the same day President Barack Obama was set to deliver his State of the Union address — an election document that, among other things, contained numerous devices aimed at expanding the war.

Welcome to the United States of Envy, land of the free and home of the brave so long as nobody makes too much more money than the next guy. The President’s address was peppered with references to fairness, the middle class, inequality and other code words that pander to the anti-rich and anti-capitalist Democratic core.

In a direct provocation aimed at Mr. Romney and his Republican compatriots, Mr. Obama orchestrated the public relations trick of having the personal secretary of billionaire Democrat Warren Buffett sit beside Michelle Obama during the State of the Union address. Mr. Buffett famously declared that he paid a higher tax rate on his total income, about 15%, than did his secretary, Debbie Bosanek.

Mr. Buffett never released his personal tax returns, which would show that—like Mr. Romney—he earns the vast bulk of his annual income from investments. Investment income is taxed at a lower rate than earned income, mainly because taxes are already paid by the corporation that generates the investment income.

Having Mr. Buffett’s secretary sitting beside the First Lady reflected the priority Mr. Obama will give to class warfare over the next year. He supports the Buffett Rule, which allegedly aims to tax the rich on all their income at the same rate that everybody else is taxed. Details are sketchy, but the Buffett surtax on the rich would apparently apply to about 500,000 Americans who earn more than $1-million a year.

The essential message is: Let’s Tax Away Mitt Romney’s Rich Man’s Income. His $20-million taxable income per year is also seen as ill-gotten by some definition, either through inheritance or corporate takeovers or venture capital activities or via Wall Street manipulation. Never mind that Mr. Romney’s effective tax rates—13.9% in 2010 and $15.4% in 2011—reflect his high investment income that is already taxed at various corporate levels. Any attempt to extract more tax out of Mr. Romney or any of America’s rich would amount to abusive double taxation.

All this attention directed at the oppressive rich and down-trodden middle class marks a a depressing decline in the U.S. moral code, which is that people have a right to get rich and getting rich helps fuel the economy.

Preoccupation with the incomes of Mr. Romney and the U.S. rich represents class warfare that is also a war on America’s past. Ayn Rand famously also said: “The upper classes are merely a nation’s past; the middle class is its future.” From out of today’s middle class will come tomorrow’s rich. Mr. Obama’s attack on today’s rich is also an attack on tomorrow’s rich, aiming to foreclose on the future ability of American’s to get rich being capitalists.

The Occupy Wall Street movement, born in the United States of Envy, aligns 99% of the population against the 1%, the rich that are America’s past. While he is running to be president tomorrow, Mr. Romney—as a wealthy man—represents America’s past achievements.

Perhaps the Romney strategy was to directly engage the Democrats in a war Mr. Obama seems all to eager to wage. “You want to go after the rich? Well, I’m rich and I’m ready to defend my wealth and my family’s achievement and America’s achievement in allowing us to become rich. My job is to make sure all American’s have the same opportunity.”

If that’s his plan, it’s a good one.

The inconvenient fact for President Obama is that the US tax code which Governor Romney and Warren Buffett use to their advantage, has been crafted by successive Democratic and Republican governments because almost every reputable economist, on the left and right of the spectrum, agrees that investments create jobs while government spending, broadly and beyond certain core responsibilities, creates dependencies.

Mr. Romney can - maybe will - press for tax code reform, to close some of the loopholes, he can back Obama into a corner with that because the President, like other elected officials, is a virtual hostage to a vast array of special interests who want the tax cose left alone. Promise to reform the tax code in any meaningful way and a lot of that super-PAC money, upon which Obama depends more than does Romney, will dry up.

Waging a class war does make Obama a quintessentially European style social democratic politician and, equally, makes him "out of step" with mainstream, middle-America.

tomahawk6 said:

Really?  What parts of his Agenda were radical?  Who in his admistration is a radical enviromentalist and anti-business?

I wonder if anyone will see the irony in Obama being worth $10.5 million but decrying the rich and implying that they are the problem... Or the fact he won a Nobel Peace prize for not doing anything, but then went on to start bombing Libya, putting more troops into Afghanistan, not closing Gitmo, and killing Bin Laden by violating a nations sovereignty... nah, that's right wing propaganda!

Bird_Gunner45 said:
I wonder if anyone will see the irony in Obama being worth $10.5 million but decrying the rich and implying that they are the problem... Or the fact he won a Nobel Peace prize for not doing anything, but then went on to start bombing Libya, putting more troops into Afghanistan, not closing Gitmo, and killing Bin Laden by violating a nations sovereignty... nah, that's right wing propaganda!

Nothing to see or report on here, just move on folks...

I suspect there will be two campaigns; the Legacy media campaign and a new and much larger one waged over the Internet and through Samizdat (like the "Higher prices brought to you by Obama" sticker campaign apparently being waged in grocery stores and gas stations). We will see the Legacy media one with all the bells and whistles that mainstream party money can buy, but since the independent voters are the real key to this election, the underground campaigns will be going overtime to influence them.

Back