• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Two Questions I am curious about (I have done searchs on forums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leathlord

Inactive
Reaction score
Two questions I need some help on about CF that my searches of these boards couldn't turn up anything.

1) Do the Canadian Forces have a Buddy System in the Recruitment system (This system exists in the U.S. I was wondering if it existed in Canada)?

A buddy system is where two or more recruits can sign up together and they will be in the same training, regiment, everything and they will also receive higher pay and benefits for signing up as buddies.

2) Do the Canadian Forces have promotions for College/University graduates (Another U.S. system)?

This system is where if you have fully completed college/university and show prove at your recruitment center you will automatically be promoted to the rank of Corporal skipping Private and Private First Class (U.S.A.).

I am not trying to sound like a **** or anything here guys I was just curious on an answer about this wondering that if in the Canadian Forces you get more rank for having a higher level of education or if you could sign up and stick with a buddy that your going into the army with.

Short Answer - No and No.

There is no formal "Buddy" system for enrolment such as the US Army uses.  If you and your buddy were accepted for the same occupation, and by some chance (miracle) were on the same Recruit course, you might spend some time on the same courses.

Second No - perhaps is a qualified Yes - There are incentives for specific occupations where the college courses related directly to the military training.  These change from time to time, so you would need to check with a recruiter when you apply to see if the education you have matches one of the incentives the CF is authorized to use. 

The final word on any incentive will be in the formal offer/enrolment documentation, so check that  closely if you think you qualify for an incentive - its a lot easier to turn down the offer than try to release 6 months into a training program.

Sort of a downer eh? Well now i'm confused what to do U.S. army or Canadian army the benefits seem amazingly one sided. Ah well thanks for the info even though I had hoped differently.

Leathlord said:
Sort of a downer eh? Well now i'm confused what to do U.S. army or Canadian army the benefits seem amazingly one sided. Ah well thanks for the info even though I had hoped differently.

Try some other comparisons......The Canadian vs the British.........The American vs Australian.......The Canadian vs German.........The Canadian vs Swiss........The American vs Israeli........I think you will find that there is no universal set of benefits set up for militaries.

Leathlord said:

Are those the only "benefits" you have compared between the two?

Have you also examined pay, benefits, pension, leave, accommodations, trade specific and general training opportunities, posting options (where, how often, etc.) and career options (promotions, change of trades, etc.) over the span of a career?

Not to diss you too much, but those are pretty shallow questions to basing a career choice on.....

The choice of joining the CF is a major career choice, and you should not base your decision upon those two very little aspect. The CF are more then just a "Job" it is a entire life opportunity. In fact, I doubt that you will ever find an other experience in what so ever will you do in your life.

Take time to further your analysis, talk with CF member, about the life, about the trade you would be interested, about every thing that is around the CF. this the only thing I can suggest.

I have talked with several people before joining the Pres and they were all good advice.  8)

I don't mean to rain on your career parade.....but

Joining any country's military implies that you are ready and willing to defend that country with your own life if needed.

Do you really want to defend the interests of a country other than your own?

If you are simply joining to forge ahead with your own career at the expense of the crown and not willing to accept the unlimited liability that goes with military service than you might want to question your own loyalty to your country.

Or maybe I am just being a hard****

Have a great career regardless of what you do.

Leathlord said:
2) Do the Canadian Forces have promotions for College/University graduates (Another U.S. system)?

This system is where if you have fully completed college/university and show prove at your recruitment center you will automatically be promoted to the rank of Corporal skipping Private and Private First Class (U.S.A.).

Entry Plans for the CF are on the link below:

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/resources/subsidizededucation_en.aspx

Semi-Skilled
This group of applicants possess a skill, which would make them fully employable with limited training. The training required may be Recruit School, Basic Driver Training, Second Language Training, etc. 

Skilled
Applicants in this category are directly employable on enrolment and, as a result, a higher Rank/Status level may be granted.

Next link shows "in demand" occupations. (noted in Column 3 with the !)

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/careermatcher_en.aspx

While I can't say for certain which trades this applies to, some trades used to offer "acting Corporal" rank upon completion of BMQ (Basic Training).  Military Police was one MOC that, upon graduation of BMQ, they were "acting/lacking" rank of Cpl IIRC.  The "in demand" trades are the ones this usually would apply to AFAIK. 

As for the Officer side of the house, it usually would only apply to DEO applicants.  However, they are OCdts until completion of IAP/BOTP (now referred to as BOMQ - Basic Officer Military Qualification) and then, depending on the specific MOC, they may be commissioned to the rank of Lt.  Nursing Officer is one that comes to mind immediately for me on that one.  Again, this is DEO applicants IIRC.

This is some general information.  It seems to vary with the requirements of the CF, specific trade, or other factors I am not aware of, however, there are some instances where previous education will give you a "step forward", but only after you either complete the Basic Training requirements as either NCM or Officer, or, due to previous training/experience/service, you are granted a bypass of those courses.

Now, with that in mind, the best source of this information in detail would be the staff at a CFRC close to you, who would have the latest and greatest information on anything I have said.

MRM

Here.  You can do the math.

http://www.army.com/money/payrates_enlisted_a07.html

http://64.254.158.112/pdf/Pay%20and%20Benefits-E.pdf

You'll see that from a basic salary comparison we do alright here in Canada, all things considered.  Now cost of living, taxes and the difference in currency does come into effect though. 

I think the actual questions have been answered, and in my opinions are good ideas for Canada.

Call me part of the minority.

Locked,

PM me if you have any further relevant answers tot he original post, or take it to PM with the Author.

dileas

tess

army.ca staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back