• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

My understanding is as far as the land of opportunity goes Alberta is about all we have left.

If 'The Albertan Land of Opportunity' was a film clip ... ;)

Driving Winter Storm GIF by Outside Watch

Politicians fear rising anger and just can't figure out where it's coming from.

Also politicians:

Government won't commit to releasing names of MPs who allegedly conspired with foreign actors

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland says Liberals will conduct an 'internal followup' on meddling claims

Last edited:
There's apparently a video of a debate with him and Pollivre, where he's reduced to a stammering wreck after Pollivre confronts him with his contradictions and double speak.
Quiet professional vs lifelong attack dog...

I wouldn't weigh that too heavily.

Quiet professional vs lifelong attack dog...

I wouldn't weigh that too heavily.
Need a bit of both to be a decent politician, though - especially running as a rookie politician.

Still, he'd make an interesting ingredient in the Team Red Captain Selection stew if he decides to go for it.

Politicians fear rising anger and just can't figure out where it's coming from.

Also politicians:

Government won't commit to releasing names of MPs who allegedly conspired with foreign actors

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland says Liberals will conduct an 'internal followup' on meddling claims

Oh my freaking lord... 😂

I can't even be frustrated or annoyed by them anymore. And boy does it ever feel good!!

All I literally can do is shake my head & laugh at the comedy that is the LPC...

"We will have the most transparent government in the history of Canada..."

"Except about China, or anything that has to do with China. Or about that time when they incarcerated 2 of our citizens over the Huawai thing. Oh yeah, and the economy...just know that things are going grreeaaatttt. Like really really good, yeah! What's this about our dollar being worth almost nothing? Russian disinformation I tell you, pay it no heed! In fact, anything bad you hear about us IS Russian disinformation, so yeah..." said in the voice of Peter Parker's grumpy boss at the newspaper

To be fair, the last time they decided to appoint someone from in house to assess them (about their dealings with China then too, ha!) it went well. Really really well.

I have total faith this will work itself out just fine

I suspect the reason some LPC types aren’t calling for him to leave is because they already know he is.

You also don't want to be the first, and mark yourself.

Plus people are probably looking and thinking "Do I really want to be Kim Campbell mark II?"
too true. The next liberal leader needs to be one that is willing to take a hit for the team. But where do you find a selfless liberal?

too true. The next liberal leader needs to be one that is willing to take a hit for the team. But where do you find a selfless liberal?
Possibly. The issue is just be able to find a leader that is more likeable than PP. his personal numbers are not the greatest.

This is clearly a change election. They would need to find a leader that is change enough.

If it’s more of the same, it won’t make a difference.

Unpopular as the answer is, they’re correct that the government doesn’t get to just charge people.

That would be a decision by select investigators within the RCMP and the Public Prosecution Service of Canada. I can’t find anything specifying that a treason charge requires attorney general consent, but I’m browsing on my phone and may have just not found it. Sure as hell the AG would be in the loop.

Police and crown could not move on this unless they had a body of disclosable evidence. That would have to be negotiated with the intelligence community: domestic for sure, and potentially foreign allies. Crown would need intelligence partners to lift caveats prohibiting disclosure. This would be a conscious choice to accept the loss of some sources and methods. In the strictest sense it’s the Attoeney General who holds the legal authority to exercise national secure privilege to exclude evidence; in practice, that’s coordinated between police, crown, and originating agencies through a team at Department of Justice who deal with national security litigation. This is a process used in other national security prosecutions.

All that to say- there are a lot of moving parts and some of the gears grind each other, and I’m just scratching the surface. The intelligence community defaults against disclosure; it would likely require a serious political decision and direction to the heads of IC agencies to authorize disclosure sufficiently to prosecute, knowing the downstream impact that would have on future security intelligence collection.

All of that is based on the system as it exists presently. Changing that system would require some very sober and deliberate legislative reform to amend how national security evidence can be handled by the courts. It that doesn’t solve the ‘right now’ problem.

The party leaders could simply and without fanfare and comment eject certain members from their causes, say that they can divulge why, and let the public draw their own inferences from that. But this entire venture remains an effort to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I suspect the reason some LPC types aren’t calling for him to leave is because they already know he is.
Maaaaaaaaaaaybe, but when I hear Team Red Boosting Commentariat (who've worked those back rooms themselves) saying it's time, if someone knows he's going, s/he's keeping it VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY quiet - too quiet for political types.
... The issue is just be able to find a leader that is more likeable than PP. his personal numbers are not the greatest ...
Right there. Some polling done by someone who used to work Team Red (also archived here if previous link doesn't work) ...
... shows a good chunk of people who are unwilling to vote Red now because of JT would be willing to do so if he left. If those polls are to be believed, the lead could drop by as much as 14 points.
Screenshot 2024-06-05 125930.jpg
OTOH, that's one poll I'm aware of that asked that specific question.

Copying this into the Institutions Trust thread as well, given cross-relevance.

Milnet.ca Staff
Have at ‘er. And my longer reply on the prosecutorial concerns would probably be a better fit there anyway. I mixed up which thread I was in.

Back