• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

The Carbon rebate debate:
Has this initiative changed your driving habits at all?
Not really for me, and I think I'd be more supportive of the "Tax" if the money collected went towards public transit, train travel, nuclear energy production. Things that would actually go towards reducing carbon footprint, not a new bureaucratic money shuffle.

I think the logic is people would use the rebate to buy a new furnace or more fuel efficient car, in order to pay less tax. But it’s not nearly enough to do that, especially if you’re living paycheque to paycheque.

I think the logic is people would use the rebate to buy a new furnace or more fuel efficient car, in order to pay less tax. But it’s not nearly enough to do that, especially if you’re living paycheque to paycheque.
Most people I know are using it to pay down the debt they have accumulated due to higher interest rates, greedflation, and stagnant wages.

You know.... crises that are affecting Canadians far more than our miniscule amount of greenhouse gas emissions globally.

Last edited:
Once again, your weekly reminder that money is fungible. The only thing achieved by saying revenue will be put toward some particular goal is to build a floor under its funding. And the floor is probably well below the amount at which there'd be no point in funding it.

It would take a decade and more per household to even replace a high-efficiency NG furnace with an electric heat-pump (most going for $10K-15K…and still needing some back-up/secondary heat source for when ambient outside temp drops below the heat-pump’s lower temp cutoff.

Anyone with half a brain knows the Carbon Tax is just another way for the Govt to siphon money. It has little to do with helping the environment.

The key to being wealthy is figuring out ways to pay as little tax as possible.
Which requires money unfortunately.
Yup, if the government states that 90% goes back to taxpayers in the form of rebate (though I am doubtful even if it’s that high, given personal experience on the back-side of the rebate-tax curve), I don’t expect anything other than the remaining 10% being attrited within the machinations of government and no net monies going to anything of substance to directly address carbon reduction.

The Carbon Tax is essentially the government charging an excise tax on everyday necessities, in one of the coldest and largest countries on earth.
…all the while the government conveniently looks the other way from their rebated-assisted O&M lower costs in future sunny waysville, when citizens ask about who’s going to help us with the CAPEX to electrify their home heating and vehicles.

…and….remember that Federal program to help Canadians retrofit their homes with heat pumps and other efficient electrical heating systems, that was supposed to last until 2027?

Yup, closed down. Apparently too many Canadians trying to convert from carbon-heavy heating methods…

The application window for the federal government's Greener Homes grant program will close within two weeks as the federal government transitions to a new home energy retrofit program.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson announced the new timeline in a news release Monday. Starting Monday, Feb. 5, homeowners have two weeks to apply for a Greener Homes grant.

…unless of course you are a remaining Liberal voter in the Maritimes living in NS, NB, PEI or NL and currently using heating oil…

It is only a matter of time until the government - at least this one - taxes all food products. It seems this GoC has an insatiable appetite for our money.

You'd almost think they are Communist.....hey wait what???

It is only a matter of time until the government - at least this one - taxes all food products. It seems this GoC has an insatiable appetite for our money.

You'd almost think they are Communist.....hey wait what???
Shhhh! The good idea faeries are everywhere.

No, he did not. Poor translation of idiomatic Quebecois French.
My hardcore Franco buddies say «C’est plate (en’ostie)» really means ‘this/that sucks’ which is actually worse than being bored. That’s how I always heard it used, and guided by the “hostie de chalice en tabernacle” crowd.

Follow-up…then what is the correct idiomatic translation then?

ie. Not the québécois lexical translation as noted at «je-parle-québécois.com», I suppose.

Plate : Très employé au Québec, "plate" est synonyme de "dommage", "regrettable" ou "ennuyant".

Deux sens peuvent habituellement lui être attribués :

a) ennuyeux.
ex : Osti que ce film est plate !

b) dommage, décevant.
Ex : C'est plate qu'elle soit pas là.

Follow-up…then what is the correct idiomatic translation then?

ie. Not the québécois lexical translation as noted at «je-parle-québécois.com», I suppose.

Anyone got a link to Trudeau's comment?

Back