• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

I wonder if the LPC HQ is worried about Alberta? With Nenshi declaring he's running for the AB NDP leadership, might he want a larger stage in the future? He's everything the LPC claims to be but isn't.

18 months is going to soon be 12 Months, then 6, then 1….
Surely the LPC brain trust has to be running the down-back up scenarios and numbers to figure out if they keep the albatross around their neck for the next…does some fractional math in head1/6th of a DECADE

I wonder if the LPC HQ is worried about Alberta? With Nenshi declaring he's running for the AB NDP leadership, might he want a larger stage in the future? He's everything the LPC claims to be but isn't.
I don’t see how this plays immediately (2025), no matter how well Nenshi does.

I could see this playing…2026… if Nenshi jumps federal into a LPC that is in tatters. He could run it…except, he is from Alberta and that is a hard mountain to climb in that Party.

I don’t see how this plays immediately (2025), no matter how well Nenshi does.

I could see this playing…2026… if Nenshi jumps federal into a LPC that is in tatters. He could run it…except, he is from Alberta and that is a hard mountain to climb in that Party.
That's my thought; post 2025 as a Federal NDP leader. Hence why LPC would try to destroy him; their philosophy seems to be better CPC than NDP.

Maybe the LPC takes its lumps then rebuilds. As for who would be the leader there might be someone in the wings preparing even now. I don’t think any of JTs Gang of Four or Five would be acceptable

That's my thought; post 2025 as a Federal NDP leader. Hence why LPC would try to destroy him; their philosophy seems to be better CPC than NDP.
Oh, I see.

I thought you were proposing he go LPC, post 2025.

This is intriguing, on a couple of levels. The Singh faction isn’t going to give up control of federal NDP, willingly. Nenshi would have to have a pretty well organized national network to overcome some temple politics.

The current crop of Liberals are (demonstrably) not a bunch of long term thinkers. They are probably less worried about a Nenshi Led NDP in…2029? Than they are about the CPC, today.

But, yeah- Nenshi could shake things up Federally and conceivably consign the LPC to third party status…or worse.

Oh, I see.

I thought you were proposing he go LPC, post 2025.

This is intriguing, on a couple of levels. The Singh faction isn’t going to give up control of federal NDP, willingly. Nenshi would have to have a pretty well organized national network to overcome some temple politics.

The current crop of Liberals are (demonstrably) not a bunch of long term thinkers. They are probably less worried about a Nenshi Led NDP in…2029? Than they are about the CPC, today.

But, yeah- Nenshi could shake things up Federally and conceivably consign the LPC to third party status…or worse.
unless the NDP tanks as well which is beginning to look increasingly likely unless Singh gets a quicky divorce.

unless the NDP tanks as well which is beginning to look increasingly likely unless Singh gets a quicky divorce.
They’ve actually been closing the spread with the LPC and they’re leading LPC strongly West of Kenora…

They’ve actually been closing the spread with the LPC and they’re leading LPC strongly West of Kenora…
The risk for the LPC is that, if the NDP reaches a certain tipping point, the entire Progressive vote will flow over to the NDP. Since (arguably) the Manley Liberals have already left the LPC, that leaves…who to vote Liberal besides Montreal Island residents?

Hope there is a no confidence vote after the Budget next month,

The risk for the LPC is that, if the NDP reaches a certain tipping point, the entire Progressive vote will flow over to the NDP. Since (arguably) the Manley Liberals have already left the LPC, that leaves…who to vote Liberal besides Montreal Island residents?
Very real risk for the Grits. There may be a few more Blue Grits hanging in, hoping for Le Dauphin to hand over to Mark Carney, but I think they’ll relent in the coming months. Gotta hand it to Jag-man…BMWs, Rolexes and Gucci bags and he’s still an influencer…I think it’s only a matter weeks before we see an NDP over LPC cross over.

Hope there is a no confidence vote after the Budget next month,
It won’t matter if the LPC-NDP Confidence and supply Arrangement stays intact…it will likely only come about if/when the NDP feels they have a chance to capitalize on the swing of progressives from LPC to NDP and they can become the opposition in an election. They’re not there yet, but if they have folks like Tom Mulcair advising them and they listen, it’s not outside of the realm of the possible.

It won’t matter if the LPC-NDP Confidence and supply Arrangement stays intact…it will likely only come about if/when the NDP feels they have a chance to capitalize on the swing of progressives from LPC to NDP and they can become the opposition in an election. They’re not there yet, but if they have folks like Tom Mulcair advising them and they listen, it’s not outside of the realm of the possible.
Tom Mulcair has stated he has distanced himself from the party a bit

LILLEY: Trudeau Liberals to spend more on debt payments than health

Debt payments skyrocketing as spending remains out of control - Brian Lilley - Mar 12, 2024

Hold onto your wallets — the Trudeau government looks set to start spending plenty of money once again.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland gave that hint when asked what the focus of the federal budget will be when it’s released on April 16.
“It’s housing, housing, housing,” Freeland said in Victoria, British Columbia on Monday.

That means spending, spending, spending.

The Trudeau government’s main focus on housing has been on the affordable housing side of the equation. Which doesn’t mean making sure that you can afford to buy a home — it means subsidized housing for low-income (New??) Canadians.

There is definitely a place for that, but there is no doubt that such a focus costs money and lots of it. This, of course, is all on top of the nearly $100 million in new spending for CBC this coming year plus the costs of newly announced programs like pharmacare.

Right now, the federal government is already stretched thin and any increase in spending will not only increase the debt and debt payments but also keep inflation higher than it should be. One of the reasons the Bank of Canada didn’t announce interest rate cuts last week and is unlikely to next month is the rate of government spending.

Last week the Parliamentary Budget Officer (PBO) released a report warning that the Trudeau government’s spending plans remain out of control. The amount that taxpayers spend just to service the national debt is expected to go up by 33.4% this current year and 11.6% in the coming year.

That means the amount we pay to cover just the interest on the national debt will rise from $35 billion last year to $46.7 billion this year and $52.1 billion next year. It’s important to put those figures in perspective because those debt payments offer no services and rob precious dollars from services.

By next year, the federal government will spend more on debt payments, $52.1 billion, than they do on health transfers to the provinces and territories, $49.2 billion. The debt payments will be 9.3 times the $5.6 billion the Trudeau Liberals are spending to get their $10-a-day child care off the ground.

The debt payments will be double what we will spend on the military.

The PBO also reports that the number of people on the federal payroll has exploded in recent years. From roughly 340,000 people when the Trudeau Liberals took power to 432,000 this year and expected to rise to 439,000 next year.

While the size of the federal workforce has increased by 30%, I’m not sure anyone could argue that service levels have increased by 30%, if at all.

Of course, in addition to spending on staff payroll, the Trudeau Liberals have also increased the federal government’s spending on outside consultants. They’ve gone from $10.4 billion when they took office to $17.7 billion in 2022.

“Reducing the use of external consultants, bringing expenditures closer to 2005-06 levels,” is one of the ways the Trudeau Liberals promised to control spending in their 2015 election platform.

Of course, that was the same campaign where they promised three small deficits to help stimulate the economy. None of the deficits were small and we are apparently still stimulating the economy nine years later.

The PBO said last week that assuming “no new measures are introduced, and existing temporary measures sunset as scheduled, the deficit is projected to resume its downward trajectory.”

The problem is, that won’t be the only new spending — this government seems to grow in all directions at all times.

Bottom line, spending is going up, the debt payments will only get bigger, and those interest rates hitting our own personal budgets will remain higher than they need to be because the Trudeau government can’t get its fiscal house in order.

Back