• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)

recceguy said:
It's early enough in your career also, that if you want to go to armour, it shouldn't be a problem.
But why on earth would he want to go armour if he's already infantry? Nice recruiting effort though  ;)

Journeyman said:
But why on earth would he want to go armour if he's already infantry? Nice recruiting effort though  ;)

Because he asked?

cesare753 said:
I'm in the Royal Regiment of Canada, I've been in for about 6 months, I’m still to complete my SQ and BIQ this summer and I may be moving to Calgary soon after my training. I was wondering if it were at all possible to transfer from R Regt C to a unit in Calgary, maybe The Calgary Highlanders, or The King's Own Calgary Regiment.

If anyone would be able to shed some light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated

Just wondering if it's possible to switch units while your in the middle of a course?

What more information do you need? Its a weekend course and I want to transfer units to a different city but same trade, and I want to do it soon, maybe before the course is over. So I want to know if you can put in a transfer if my course is still running?

ONT said:
What more information do you need? Its a weekend course and I want to transfer units to a different city but same trade, and I want to do it soon, maybe before the course is over. So I want to know if you can put in a transfer if my course is still running?

Well that is the information that Mr. Wallace was asking for.

MILNET.CA MENTOR

NFLD Sapper said:
Well that is the information that Mr. Wallace was asking for.

MILNET.CA MENTOR

Alright, I wasn't sure. Anyone have any ideas?

You would have to find out if the unit in the new city has a position for you and are they willing to take on an untrained Pte. You may also ask if they are willing to keep paying for you to complete the course in a different location.

Where are you now and where do you want to go?

I would probably finish out the course with my current unit, but then ask for a transfer to the new city afterwards. I would imagine that the current city would be pretty upset about me doing that though...correct? The only other thing is that my course ends in May and I know the unit goes on stand down around June, so would that leave enough time for me to get the transfer through so I could do summer courses with my new unit?

Transfers are the nature of the beast in the Reserve world - as long as you're open about your plans you likely won't have any trouble - the gaining unit just has to agree to take you on, but I can't say I've ever heard of that not happening.

You should go thru your CoC in the official sense.  You might have a contact at the unit you want to transfer to who is saying yes you can go there, but that isn't official.

The G1 folks at your Bde HQ will need to be involved, which means your Unit CoC will need to initiate the paperwork for the transfer, etc.  If you are going from one CBG to another CBG in the same Area, that involves more.  If you are transferring Areas...well you get the point I think.

Engage your CoC now, so they have time to staff the paperwork.  With the cutbacks in Class A and B wages, waiting might ensure this doesn't happen for you.

:2c:

Eye In The Sky said:
You should go thru your CoC in the official sense.  You might have a contact at the unit you want to transfer to who is saying yes you can go there, but that isn't official.

The G1 folks at your Bde HQ will need to be involved, which means your Unit CoC will need to initiate the paperwork for the transfer, etc.  If you are going from one CBG to another CBG in the same Area, that involves more.  If you are transferring Areas...well you get the point I think.

Engage your CoC now, so they have time to staff the paperwork.  With the cutbacks in Class A and B wages, waiting might ensure this doesn't happen for you.

:2c:

And there it is. Go see your CoC, and give them your request.

Milnet.ca Staff

How is it done? I was told it is more complicated than transferring between two Army units. If I have completed Army BMQ and SQ, will I still have to do the Naval reserve BMQ?

While I can't give you an authoritative answer, I would be extremely surprised if you had to do BMQ over again.  BMQ is supposed to be generic across all three elements.  You would come in to the NAVRES as untrained though....and likely be wondering why everyone is talking about "the heads" instead of the bathroom.  ;D

It is a tad more complicated because you are changing environments. Land to Sea.  It may also require you to do a Occupational Transfer as well.  Since there aren't any infantrymen in the navy.  If you are a purple trade then that is one less thing to worry about.

I transferred one of my soldiers to an air trade with air reserves within a six week period.  Not all are that quick but they can be.

Go see your orderly room staff. 

In addition, I would say that coming from the militia, your BMQ may not be recognized as contrary to the militia, the Taval reserve is training to the reg force standard on BMQ.

On requesting your transfer from the militia, your file will be assessed and an offer will be made to you. A PLAR (Previous learning assessment request will be needed to recognize your BMQ as this one falls under the authority of CDA.

Hornblower said:
In addition, I would say that coming from the militia, your BMQ may not be recognized as contrary to the militia, the Taval reserve is training to the reg force standard on BMQ.

Thanks for the chuckles.

I was ill-informed about trades by my CFRC and i signed up into the naval reserves, i currently in pre-bmq courses at my naval detachment, and id really like to transfer over to army as the army reserve has MP trades. My question is, is this possible before ive even started basic?
how long would it exactly take since im going from navy to army? and how exactly would i be able to do this as in who do i talk too? so i can make my CF career an enjoyable one.

You haven't even done BMQ and you're already sure you won't like it?  You're 17.  I say give it a chance (at least do BMQ and trades training) and see if you don't change your mind.  Then, you can talk to your supervisor and look into ways to go about changing trade/element/component in a positive manner.

The way I see it, if someone wanted to quit before even starting (and chances are you've taken a position somebody else really wanted), I wouldn't go out of my way to help them.  Just my  :2c:

the CFRC career counseller talked me into his idea, Why be in a trade that wouldnt help me in the long run, im going into criminology for post-secondary so wouldnt it be the ideal decision to get into the occupation im getting educated in? 

Any way as you said im 17, everyone makes mistakes. Im not here to listen to your opinion of me taking a trade im here for help/guidance so i enjoy my career in the CF. In no way am i quitting, i dont get where you'd assume that, im just trying to get into something that id enjoy and would benefit me.

Back