• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tough choice, don't know what to do.

jdmoney

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay so here is a little bit of background on the situation. I am only in the reserves not the reg force and I am 26.

I was doing my SQ ("bmq land") in May/June (may 26-june 26) at Meaford. I injured my knee pretty bad durning the second week but toughed it out for the rest of the training because I didn't want to goto the MIR and get RTU'd (that may have been a very bad idea). I eventually went to the MIR with only a few days left on course because I couldn't fail the course any more it was just admin stuff. It was also getting to the point where I could barely walk. I couldn't even keep up with a regular march from place to place. The Dr. said I probably shouldn't be on the next DP1 course (June 30 - Aug 1) because i should rest it. He said it should heal in about 15 days. So i was out of that course. But because the Dr said 15 days I told my sargent from my home unit that I should be able to leave for Aug 4 - Sept 5. During the 15 days it never really felt healed. It didn't hurt as much to walk and I could deal with the walking pain. Stairs were still a little painfull but managable (I can deal with quite a bit of pain). So I decided to try a very light jog anyway. BAD IDEA. I didn't even make it 200 meteres before my knee kinda gave out and I paid for it with extreme pain for the next 2 days and again couldnt walk properly. So I decided to goto my own Dr who said it seems/feels like both of my meniscus are torn. He sent me for x-rays and recommended me to an orthopedic surgeon for MRI/surgery. But being canada that takes forever and I am schedualed to leave Aug 4th. This is where my problem comes in and I would like some advice from those who have an understanding of how the process works. I want to go and see if i can manage the pain but I don't want to risk further injury, and I don't want to get kicked out of the forces for getting a medical RTU on my DP1. But I also don't want to have to call my sargent and tell him " I don't think I can go". I don't want him to think I am just being a little b!#ch or that I just want to be lazy or anything like that, the pain really is that bad and the knee sometimes gives out. I also don't want to create an adminstration burdon for him because the course is only a week and a few days away. I really want to go because I love the military and I want to get my training done asap so i can go on even better courses, but I am quite worried that I wouldn't be able to complete the course succesfully because of the knee. So please I am having a very tough time with what to do and any advice is greatly apprieciated.

As staff at one of the schools here at CTC GAGETOWN I would suggest that you inform your chain of command that you are hurt and tell them that you won't be on course, you will not be an administrative burden at your home unit. They will find other ways to employ you.

Heal up and try next summer to complete your training.

My  :2c: take it or leave it.

EDITED TO FIX GRAMMAR

This is just my advice, I would suggest going to your Sgt and explaining the situation.  He would probably more pissed at you if you get medically RTU after two day due to the fact that you showed up injured than if you could not go on the course.  Most of the time a unit only has limited spots on a course so if you can't go chances are they can find someone else that is healthy to fill the spot.

You also do not want to do any more injury to yourself.  Let yourself properly heal then you will be able to do the course.

JD,

Although I commend you for your passion and commitment, you must eliminate both as they are clouding your judgement.  You have a serious injury and require medical treatment now.  Any attempt to tough it out will only result in more problems and headaches.  I recommend you are forthright and upfront to all those involved and then ask for next steps.  Pushing the knee joint with two torn meniscii will result in greater damage. Obscuring or hiding any medical facts from the CF will guarantee a less than favourable release.

My advice is this:

TALK TO YOUR CofC!

Why ask advice from a bunch of random people on the Internet who don't know you or your exact situation?

I know you told us that you're a Reservist and you're 26 ... but we don't know you. Your Chain of Command is there to assist you. If you don't trust them, how can you follow them and how can they trust you? Maybe your Sgt has info on another DP1, maybe he's had other people in similar situations, maybe he's been there himself!

If it was ME, I'd be pissed if I found out a subordinate had taken a problem like this to someone else ... what in insult to my leadership and your trust in me!

Otis

If you go on this course, you will end your career, its as simple as that.  You cannot run by your own admission, there is no way in hell you can cope with an infantry course.  People in good health have a hard time coping physically and you are not in good health right now.

Get the doc to write a note confirming you are scheduled for surgery.  NCOs are not stupid.  They understand that injuries happen and hes not going to want to force you onto that course only to see you released from the military shortly after.

You are going to be medically unfit until after you have healed from that surgery.  You need to think long term.  Heal up and then go at it next summer.

Thanks for the input. It is appreciated, although it doesn't make it any easier to have to withdraw :(

I'm not scheduled for surgery yet, it takes a while to get to see the orthopedic surgeon which sucks because I want it to be healed yesterday :) But he can still write one saying what he thinks and that i am waiting for an MRI.

Again thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated

Back