• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Top Candidate

thorbahn

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm on BMQ right now (well, on weekends) and have heard that at the graduation someone is awarded as "top candidate". I was wondering what the course staff would look for when deciding on which candidate to choose. (the criteria for top candidate)

Thanks for any info!

thorbahn said:
Hi, I'm on BMQ right now (well, on weekends) and have heard that at the graduation someone is awarded as "top candidate". I was wondering what the course staff would look for when deciding on which candidate to choose. (the criteria for top candidate)

Thanks for any info!

At CFSME we would lokk at overall marks on all POs and attitude during the course

Yo, I just finished BMQ in St.Jean, for top \candidate they look at everything, directives, po failures, all your test marks,(weapons, drill, mk, first aid, etc.) and attitude basically whomever is the most squeaky clean.

thorbahn said:

Thanks for any info!
I'm a BMQ instructor. we look at the marks, chits, appearnace, attitude, teamwork, PT etc. Basically everything. Whoever is all around on top gets it.

2FERSapper said:
I'm a BMQ instructor. we look at the marks, chits, appearnace, attitude, teamwork, PT etc. Basically everything. Whoever is all around on top gets it.

hey Sapper, who is the ultimate decision maker on who gets it and do you normally tell the rest of the platoon, or only those who recieve the top 3?

Actually, usually we just flip a coin.

No, usualy the way it works is every section commander submits his/her top candidate and then there's a discussion.  The marks usualy tend to be really close, so the DS bring up different good and bad points about each of the three and just generaly compare notes.  In the end it's either decided by a unanimous decision or a vote.  The top candidate is usualy reckognized during the graduation ceremony.

48Highlander said:
Actually, usually we just flip a coin.

No, usualy the way it works is every section commander submits his/her top candidate and then there's a discussion.  The marks usualy tend to be really close, so the DS bring up different good and bad points about each of the three and just generaly compare notes.  In the end it's either decided by a unanimous decision or a vote.  The top candidate is usualy reckognized during the graduation ceremony.

Ohh yaaaaa, thats why we had all those guys run out of ranks during our ceremony.  Must of just slipped my mind I guess.

well what REALLY happens is we slide 1 blunt object and 1 sharpe object into this ring were the top 2 troops are. And its your classic fight to the the death. With the music from star trek when Kirk and Spock were fighting. Great times. Na 48 hit the nail on the head.

I finished basic in november and took home top candidate, top athlete, and top marksman.

to get top candidate get the best marks on tests. study and do homework.DONT SLEEP the less sleep you get the better, get used to not sleeping or VR.tests are first aid, nbcd, military knowledge (you get a certificate and $50 free grad pictures for top candidate -win all 3 and you get all pictures free)

to get top athlete it looked like whoever did the best on the express test. i find the military more about cardio and endurance than power. just always do the best you can do. ALWAYS! i cant stress it enough. practice running you should be running 10km no problem (you get a certificate a trophy and a t-shirt for top athlete)

to get top marksman is the easiest one since i had never shot a rifle before basic. STAY CALM and just do what your told. the instructors are great they know exactly what they are doing. they will tell you exactly what to do to tighten your grouping. (you get a certificate for top marksman)

its nice on grad parade when you get to recieve awards infron of everyone

get along well with everyone and you can win comradeship award or improve and get improvement award

keep in mind basic is very easy. everyone who doesnt get hurt passes. the slackers will be weeded out later

General Attitude, Marks, Drive and Number of times introduced to warning system.  Top Candidate is nice, but I've seen a lot of soldiers so wrapped around the axles about getting it they either forget to do their job or start blading everyone in site.

old adage : A "C" is a "P", and weekends are free.

just give everything you're all, and if you come out top candidate, good on you. But if you dont, it doesnt matter. As long as you know you gave it all you had, then you'll be fine. Too many guys on my course got the stars in their eyes and wanted that Plaque, the result was several confrontations as people began attempting to take centre stage all the time looking for recognition. Its most often the quiet guy who does his job and helps buddy that gets it, not the most vocal and dominant.

Sometimes there is no top candidate. My BMQ we didn't get graded or top candidate as it "may make certain individuals feel bad".

firstl like to say i hate the "a c's a p" attitude. it drives me nuts. its a underachieving way of sailing through courses. secondly shortbus all to often ive seen both that grayman and the loud vocal guy win top candidates. it goes either way. really depends on the instructors. FinallyAquilus, thats awful. Unfortunatly that is a problem we are face far to often in the army today. When i did my ql2 we were ranked. everyone who passed was given a number from 1-30(30 people passed) same with my ql3 in gagetown. Then i go out for my ql5 and your no longer allowed to give a # for a person. Its not nice. You shouldnt do that. so they changed it to just top 3rd, middle 3rd or bottem3rd then my next course there was no ranking at all. just  top candidate.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does "a c's a p" mean?

thorbahn said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does "a c's a p" mean?

as in grades.........C is a P means a grade of C is a Pass..........

aim for the minimum standard .......not a good idea.

A grade of "C" is still a "Pass".

Most CF courses grade students with a letter grade A-B-C against the criteria for each performance check (test) as defined in the Course Training Plan, the average leading to a final grade. One failed test can automatically result in a "C" for the course. Some courses use a Pass/Fail final grading.

CFAO 26-12 -- CANADIAN FORCES COURSE REPORTING SYSTEM
http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/026-12_e.asp

14.    c.  The overall course grade of A, B, C or the course result "Fail"
          shall be based on -

(1)  the performance objectives stated in the CTS,

(2)  the methods used to discriminate between these gradings as
              stated in Chapter 3 of the CTS, and

(3)  the relative performance levels for the grades as defined in
              paragraph 18 below.

(4)  Where the CTS directs that a letter grade be used, the
              following alphabetical grades are assigned -

(a)  A. Achieved all performance objectives without
                    difficulty, and demonstrated exceptional ability in at
                    least those performance objectives as detailed in
                    Chapter 3 of the appropriate CTS.  This grade (A)
                    indicates that the trainee's performance was superior
                    to that of the majority of the trainees who have taken
                    the course.  Those performance objectives in which the
                    student showed particular strength and led to the
                    awarding of this grade shall be detailed in Block 17
                    and include a description of his superior performance.

(b)  B. Achieved all performance objectives without
                    difficulty.  The majority of graduates should normally
                    be assigned this grade.  If, in the judgement of the
                    school commandant, a student experiences difficulty in
                    one or more non-critical performance objectives, but,
                    demonstrated exceptional ability in other performance
                    objectives sufficient to off-set these deficiencies, he
                    may be awarded a "B".  The details shall be recorded in
                    Block 17.

(c)  C. Achieved all performance objectives, but experienced
                    difficulty in one or more of the objectives; details
                    shall be entered in Block 17.  This grade indicates
                    that the trainee achieved the course standard but his
                    overall performance was not up to the level of the
                    majority of the trainees who have taken the course.

Michael OLeary said:
A grade of "C" is still a "Pass".

Most CF courses grade students with a letter grade A-B-C against the criteria for each performance check (test) as defined in the Course Training Plan, the average leading to a final grade. One failed test can automatically result in a "C" for the course. Some courses use a Pass/Fail final grading.

CFAO 26-12 -- CANADIAN FORCES COURSE REPORTING SYSTEM
http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/026-12_e.asp

Yes, C is still a pass, but as professional soldiers, should me not strive for better ?  Some soldiers AIM for the minimum, i call them minimum soldiers and i hate it !

What was meant by it was, a pass is a pass.  As a proffesional learning everything your trade is a responsibilty of yours.  However, getting bent out of shape about being top candidate is not.  Way to many people make a huge thing out of it.  Very few times have seen someone being "Top Candidate" have a major impact on their career.

the "top candidate" thing is not what i was implying at all.  This destinction should , IMHO, be done away with.  What i simply meant is that we should not aim for the minimum passing mark. Some soldiers actualy want nothing more than a P...if thats what you get trough your efforts, then so be it but not strive for the minimum.....

Back