• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tom Hanks may star as WW2 CO of destroyer in "Greyhound" movie

Anybody ever see this movie? Is it available online somewhere? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_K-225
Cheers

CloudCover said:
Anybody ever see this movie? Is it available online somewhere? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_K-225
Cheers

https://www.google.com/search?q=corvette+k+225&sxsrf=ALeKk0008NOyZg4QppYDkSo-PLMZk7qAYA:1595587206693&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjpzqbF2eXqAhXsnuAKHSOiDzwQ_AUoAXoECCEQAw&biw=1280&bih=641#spf=1595587210863

BeyondTheNow said:
This is a good little article about it.

Tom Hanks' Greyhound Is a Quietly Thrilling War Drama That's Not Just for Dads

https://time.com/5865255/greyhound-review-tom-hanks/

The trailer didn’t do it justice. I really enjoyed it. I thought it had a great balance of realistic/technical aspects vs the story and emotional sentiments—One element didn’t overpower another. The CGI was a lot better than I was anticipating too.

I like Hanks. He’s good at portraying strong and knowledgeable, yet humble characters who aren’t void of humanity and values, regardless of what’s at stake.

(I found myself thinking about what would be worse—being in a freezing/frozen snow covered trench, or standing on a frozen ice-covered deck with freezing water being splashed in one’s face. The Army and Navy folk will have to weigh in. I haven’t experienced either, and neither one seems appealing. Go Airforce ;) )

I have done both field and lots and lots of sea time.  They both have their "things".  Comparing them wouldnt do either justice IMHO.

CloudCover said:
Cheers

I've seen it on the Turner Classic Movies cable channel.

I watched 'Greyhound' the other day.  I highly recommend.

From a technical perspective, there is much to commend.  It looked (to me) like they got most things right in terms of how the ship would operate, as well as the confusion, fatigue, burden of command, etc. I actually watched it a second time to really look closely at these items. 

I did most of my training on the old steamers.  They were just a short evolutionary step ahead of what is shown in Greyhound.  This film put me right back there on those ships. 

stoker dave said:
I watched 'Greyhound' the other day.  I highly recommend.

From a technical perspective, there is much to commend.  It looked (to me) like they got most things right in terms of how the ship would operate, as well as the confusion, fatigue, burden of command, etc. I actually watched it a second time to really look closely at these items. 

I did most of my training on the old steamers.  They were just a short evolutionary step ahead of what is shown in Greyhound.  This film put me right back there on those ships.

It's good to see someone with your experience recommending the movie, I certainly enjoyed it but I'm no expert in that history; I've noticed in a lot of comments sections elsewhere a lot of Navy history dilettante's sound like this guy

Attachments

• Bro vet rule 5.jpg
    Bro vet rule 5.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 109
Jarnhamar said:
Who had the best submarines in WW2?

That depends alot on the time frame and the role being played.

Early WW2 German UBoats were nothing to write home about, technically or from a crew comfort POV. By the end of the war, the type 21 was a technical marvel. Early war Japanese submarines were much bigger and better than US subs and their torpedoes were much better. By the end of the war, US subs featured radar, air conditioning and at least acceptable torpedoes. Russian submarines were awful, but still managed to sink German shipping; the Italians took a big bite out of the RN Med Fleet.

So...it depends.

Jarnhamar said:
Who had the best submarines in WW2?

The Allied submarine campaign in the Pacific led largely by the US was, arguably, the most successful of its kind during WW2 and was helped considerably by rapid improvements in technology and sub/torpedo design. It remains largely unacknowledged, however, because : the Silent Service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_submarines_in_the_Pacific_War

Sequel in the works:

We made such a contribution both at sea and in the air during the BOA it's really a shame we can't get some descent Canadian centric media out about it. Paul Gross, sit down.

We made such a contribution both at sea and in the air during the BOA it's really a shame we can't get some descent Canadian centric media out about it. Paul Gross, sit down.
We as a nation are incapable of telling out stories without pissing off a large segment of the (insert name here) population. And when we do, we get the shyte that Gross produces.

I think we are reasonably capable of telling our stories, but we don't have the capacity to 'selling' our stories. High quality products need returns on investment, and 'Hollywood' isn't interested in stories that (a) aren't American and (b) don't have a big name for the marquee. This is a bit of a general statement. I think Dunkirk did ok; no huge actors but Christopher Nolan has been on a bit of a roll.

The one exception to (a) is British war-related stories. In spite of their insularity, Americans do have an awareness for Churchill. The other general exception are stories regarding British Royals. In spite of tossing them out a couple hundred years ago, and mocking anything that involves 'subjects' (including us), they do seem to love the royals.

The one exception to (a) is British war-related stories. In spite of their insularity, Americans do have an awareness for Churchill. The other general exception are stories regarding British Royals. In spite of tossing them out a couple hundred years ago, and mocking anything that involves 'subjects' (including us), they do seem to love the royals.
The Americans don't like it when you point out to them that they are more class conscious than the Brits. Their royalty is the Hollywood clique and the remnants of the self destructive Kennedy clan. They still go on and on about Camelot. Bloody posers!

The Americans don't like it when you point out to them that they are more class conscious than the Brits. Their royalty is the Hollywood clique and the remnants of the self destructive Kennedy clan. They still go on and on about Camelot. Bloody posers!
My dad always said we could wipe out Britain's national debt by selling the royal family to the US.

I still can't find anywhere to watch this - is it only on the Apple streaming service?

I think we are reasonably capable of telling our stories, but we don't have the capacity to 'selling' our stories.

The National Film Board of Canada and the CBC produced "Death by Moonlight: Bomber Command".

This led to a CBC Ombudsman's report.

It became the subject of an inquiry by the Senate of Canada.

The Bomber Harris Trust ( made up of Canadian veterans ) sued the CBC and the film makers for slander.
The Bomber Harris Trust appealed to the, Ontario Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada, but were dismissed at every level.

The Queen Mother, honorary Colonel of Bomber Command, tried to stop the broadcast.

Maybe Canadian film producers feel some parts of Canada's World War Two effort are best left in the past. 🤷‍♂️

Back