• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thumb Finger (REALLY OFF TOPIC)

H

Harjinder

Ok...I know this is REALLY off topic, but I have had a few heated discussions about it in math class (don't ask). Is the thumb a finger? I looked up the definition of a 'finger' and got â Å“One of the five digits of the hand, especially one other than the thumbâ ?. Well it doesn't say the thumb‘s not a finger, just emphasizing that it is the least like the others. I say it is a finger. What do you think?

well the thing is, al lteh other digits are called fingers : Pinky FINGER, ring FINGER, middle FINGER, pointer FINGER, and then there‘s the thumb. therefore i say it is a thumb not a finger.
:cdn:

Oh it would still be called a thumb, but it would be concidered a finger as well.

This one‘s pretty deep but I‘ll weigh in with a thought: maybe it‘s because we need to differentiate from the other phalanges, and we have opposable thumbs, not opposable fingers.

Some egghead will tell us the real answer soon enough. Won‘t be able to sleep until then....

Al

The definition according to Websters is:

"1 : any of the five terminating members of the hand : a digit of the forelimb; especially : one other than the thumb"

Since the dictionary is intended to be taken literaly, the answer would be YES, the thumb is a finger.

Though the last bit "especially : one other than the thumb" would lead me to believe that the thumb is somewhat less of a finger than the other four.

Considering that, it is my conclusion that the thumb is half a finger.
I further support my conclusion with fact that the thumb has only 1 joint while the other fingers have 2.

Wow. A half-finger eh? That seems to be the closest thing to an explination as I‘ve heard. A half-finger it is!

Actually, the thumb does have the same number of joints as any other finger, but it is further back towards the wrist, and not visible. Interesting fact, the thumb is actually longer than the fingers for the same reason.

I really have too much time on my hands.

The all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs just like all Manitobans are Canadians but not all Canadians are Manitobans.

Originally posted by ToRN:
[qb] I really have too much time on my hands. [/qb]
Is that a pun I see. If it is I‘ll give you two thumbs up. hahahaha. Sorry. Another thing to ponder is how can you have a middle finger when there is an even number of fingers. Therefore the thumb is a finger.

Now who‘s handing out the puns, eh?? :D

You know, I was thinking the same thing about the Middle finger thing, and I am surprised that no one else on the forum said anything before you did. (I even missed it the first time)

.... Lol, who REALLY cares if your thumb is a finger? The main thing is, you HAVE a thumb. If you didn‘t.. you wouldn‘t be able to drink your Timmie‘s coffee or eat timbits, or hold a rifle properly! Then what would we all do? :eek:

Not to mention we wouldn‘t be able to change channels on the remote. Imagine actually getting up to change channels. What would happen when the political debates or the other fine programs on tv. ;)

Also, when someone asks you how many fingers you have, do you answer "10" or do you say "8 with two thumbs"?

The thumb is a finger.

Well, I once heard that eventrually everyone will have two thumbs per hand because two thumbs will make playing video games easier. It's all about evolution!
Another question one has to ask is, if a thumb is not a finger than what is a thumb? Is a thumb only a thumb? or has it a bigger conection in the world!?

elizabeth said:
Well, I once heard that eventrually everyone will have two thumbs per hand because two thumbs will make playing video games easier. It's all about evolution!
I very much doubt that.

Back