• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian

In St Johns we often went back to the Cenotaph ofr the Sgts Memorial after the formal parade and left it there as one would a wreath.

I alway leave my poppy at the Cenotaph after the parade, I pin it to a wreath.  After pinning the poppy, I step back come to attention salute as per the drill of laying a wreath.  Any units I have served with this has been the unit SOP.  Then its off to the Legion for a pint with the Veterans and to hear all their stories.  In my mind that is what its all about anyway, spending time with those who fought for our freedom, hearing what they have to say, and just saying Thanks.

-LEST WE FORGET-  :cdn:

Inch said:
Actually, you're supposed to wear it from the 1st of Nov until Remembrance day, so you would probably wear it prior to Nov 11th and no, your headdress isn't always on, you take it off when inside the Legion.

We were briefed this week:  The CF starts wearing the poppy on 29 OCT - 29 OCT - 29 OCT
(i.e. eleven days in November plus three days in October = two weeks)

Caesar said:
As a side issue: where do you put your poppy after the parade on Nov 11? It seems wrong to me to throw them out. In our unit we pin it to some MacKenzie tartan above the bar in the mess.

I always keep a poppy in my pocket, so I will have one to place on the coffin at the next veteran's funeral.
It also comes in handy prior to Remembrance Day, when I lose mine for the umpteenth time ... sigh ...

One of the most moving things I have ever seen was in Ottawa a couple of years ago, at Remembrance Day. Following the formal ceremonies, literally hundreds of average civvy folks brought their families up to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and respectfully laid their poppies on or around the tomb. Who says Canadians don't care?

Rounder said:
    Exactly, and if the CDS is on TV and he is seen without a poppy on, as it would be on his beret, do you think Canadian public would understand why? No, I don't think they would.

My response to anyone whining about someone in the military being seen without a poppy would be "just what exactly do you think that uniform they're wearing stands for???" The poppy shows recognition of sacrifices of the past. The uniform takes that recognition and adds to it the willingness of the wearer to make the same sacrifice as those who have gone before if necessary.

As to where exactly the poppy is worn, I don't really care so long as it's standard. Since the legion members around here have been wearing it on their jackets for as long as I can remember, not on their berets, I have no problem following their example.

Oh yes, and my poppy always ends up resting in front of the cenotaph with the wreaths along with many others from the various people watching the ceremony.

I have worn my poppy on my tunic and will keep it there.  I think that regardless of where it is placed, it still means the same thing.  We will remember them.  I do agree that the loss of tradition is a sad thing.  If it's a matter of tradition then it needs to be addressed to a higher power.  I can agree that the headdress is a good place for it.  The previous arguments support that you need only one poppy if it's on your lid.  There are others however, that maintain that poppies are more easily lost from the headdress.  The only part of wearing on the tunic that I dislike is that fact that you need several poppies and they almost always get crushed or ripped of while take off or putting on layers.  I like the pin idea.  Going to see if I can find a few like that.  To Inch-  do you think the higher ups would support a badge sewn onto the lapel or rank slip on for use during the 2 weeks prior to Nov. 11th?  If it's sewn on it's not FOD.  Just a thought.

Feel free to disagree.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

:cdn:LEST WE FORGET :cdn:

Our CSM told us yesterday that the poppy will be worn over the left breast pocket this year. And the middle of the poppy must be original, no Maple Leaf button. It seems to change every year.

Out unit informed us that Oct 29 was the first day the poppy could be worn up to 2 weeks after Nov 11.

Yes-that stupid pin on the poppy-when is somebody going to apply some technology to that? Or...is it a case of "lose one, buy one...?"

Cheers.

It's something our American friends are missing out on, I think.

Actually, the various groups (DAV, VFW, American Legion) do sell poppies here every year around Veteran's Day. Admittedly, it's not nearly as prevalent here as it is in Canada. Also, the poppies are a lot different...

The Army Guy said:
To Inch-   do you think the higher ups would support a badge sewn onto the lapel or rank slip on for use during the 2 weeks prior to Nov. 11th?   If it's sewn on it's not FOD.   Just a thought.

Feel free to disagree.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

:cdn:LEST WE FORGET :cdn:

I would say that getting something sewn on for 2 weeks every year would be a huge hassle. With the new flight suits we don't sew anything on ourselves, so you'd have hundreds of guys bringing stuff into the tailor to be sewn that we're only going to wear for 2 weeks.  I like the badge idea and that could work, all badges on the green flight suits are velcro'd on, it'd be super simple to replace one of our badges with a velcro'd poppy badge.

Cheers

Just a suggestion, but for those worried about the poppy falling off or getting stuck, why not go to a craft store, buy the blank pin with safety backings and glue the green centre of the poppy to the front of the pin. I'm not sure if it would be allowed, but just a suggestion.  :)

In civies I use a small Canadian flag in the center - it has a proper pin

Just a suggestion, but for those worried about the poppy falling off or getting stuck, why not go to a craft store, buy the blank pin with safety backings and glue the green centre of the poppy to the front of the pin. I'm not sure if it would be allowed, but just a suggestion

I've dont this before, and it works well.

head dress for me.

As for the General that was concerned about what people thought of himself and his Poppy? All I would say is I don't need some plastic flower to help me remember, as everyday is November 11th for me.

Dileas Gu Brath

Tess, CD, a guy who once tried to read esquire

I'm glad to have stimulated so much discussion on this interesting topic but no one has even attempted to answer my question?  Which is:

Does (did) the navy wear the poppy on their white-tops (& now berets)? Or is it purely an army thing?

Sailing Instructor said:
I'm glad to have stimulated so much discussion on this interesting topic but no one has even attempted to answer my question?   Which is:

Does (did) the navy wear the poppy on their white-tops (& now berets)? Or is it purely an army thing?

Okay - in the absence of anybody who can answer from a pre-unification historical perspective (i.e. when the RCN swabbies wore a more real, traditional naval uniform), I know the CF Dress Manual showed naval pers in DEU wearing the poppy on their white, peaked "forage" caps.

Ah, thanks very much then.  This is where I'll attempt to wear it tomorrow & see if I can at least 'stimulate some discussion' (how's that for a euphemism for 'jacking-up'!).

Being a DINASOUR I don't ever recall wearing a POPPY on my uniform, headdress or whatever. While serving in the army I don't ever recall wearing a POPPY. I was more concerned wether we were going to wear Greatcoats and gloves or just Battledress for the Remembrance Parade, it can be darn cold in November. My personell preference for civilian dress is to wear it on the lapel. I have replaced the dark centre of the issue poppy with a small Canadian Flag that is available from your MP it also has a better fastening device. You have to consider guys that I go back to the 50s. I'm not against anything new but as a civilian I will do things the way I please.

Back