• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War of 1812 Merged Thread

Alright, I'll give in on the southern exposure thing..... ;)

...and of course yet another 1812 thread is spiraling down the drain.      ::)

Locked with usual caveats.

The Milnet.ca Staff

They have a pretty warped perspective if you ask me. They invaded us with a hell of a lot more troops, around 36,000 regulars I believe, and we started out with 5,000 Regulars. (Though our force did rise a lot during the war). We inflicted more casualties, we won more battles against all odds; Brock when he captured Fort Detroit, or even more amazing the battle Chateauguay where we had 400 militia and 170 Natives and we defeated 4,000 American regulars. Of course we suffered our defeats too, but WE were invaded and we REPELLED them. The reason they aren't using loonies is because they invaded us, I hope thats not their only argument.  We did burn their White House, so they could see that as us invading, but that was for the burning of York. I do believe that the British stopped pressing American sailors into the Navy and doing all that, so they won and achieved their goals in that respect, but Canada won by repelling an invading force while being outnumbered. Anyway, I just dislike the Americans saying they won. :cdn: ( Do correct me if I'm wrong, I'm prone to doing that, I'm just going off the top of my head here)

As one historical wag pointed out, the War of 1812 is a favorite because EVERYONE won!  :D

War of 1812 observance preparation shows gap
U. S. way behind  Canada in funding

By Thomas J. Prohaska
NEWS NIAGARA REPORTER
Published: April 10, 2010, 12:30 am

Canadian government agencies and foundations are pouring money into plans and projects for the bicentennial of the War of 1812.

Americans, not so much. So far the funding tally for the bicentennial commemoration stands: Canada, $19.5 million; U. S., $5,000.

The $5,000, so far the only donation from the American side, was approved last week by the Niagara County Legislature.

No money for the bicentennial was included in this year’s Erie County budget, and funding requests are supposed to be submitted by this fall, according to Grant

Loomis, spokesman for Erie County Executive Chris Collins.

“As a general rule, Erie County doesn’t fund individual events. We fund cultural organizations after a review process. The amount is generally about $5 million, and there’s heavy competition for those dollars,” Loomis said.

Gov. David A. Paterson vetoed a bill last summer that would have created a state commission for the War of 1812, similar to one that helped with the 250th anniversary observance of the French and Indian War.

No dollar amount was attached to the bill, but based on the French and Indian precedent, it probably would have brought in about $500,000, said Thomas E. Schofield, a Youngstown resident who serves as vice president of the Niagara Bicentennial of the War of 1812 Legacy Council Corp.

“It was vetoed because [Paterson] thought the state lacked the resources,” Schofield said.

“We’ve been working so far with funding from the Canadian side, and New York needs to catch up,” Schofield told the Legislature.

Much of the Canadian funding is for large projects, said Vincent Del Buono, a Niagara-on- the-Lake, Ont., legal analyst who serves as Legacy Council president.

The Ontario and Canadian governments have earmarked $3.4 million each for a makeover of the Niagara Falls, Ont., Historical Museum.

Also, Parks Canada has lined up $6 million for improvements at Fort George, on the Niagara River just south of Niagara- on-the-Lake, along with an additional $500,000 for new signs on the Niagara River Parkway.

Del Buono said the Fort George work will include a new visitor center and repairs to the log palisades around the fort.

Canadian federal and provincial governments also put in $4.87 million for a visitor center at Old Fort Erie, across the river from Buffalo.

The Legacy Council’s Web site, www.discover1812.com , and the first edition of a bicentennial map were funded through a $200,000 appropriation from the Regional Municipality of Niagara, $165,000 from the Ontario Trillium Foundation and $150,000 from the Ontario Ministry of Tourism. Canadian Heritage and Parks Canada supplied $45,000 for a seminar in Hamilton, Ont., April 23-24 on the role of the arts in the bicentennial. Del Buono remains optimistic that American funds will eventually flow.

“New York State’s struggles will not continue forever,” he said. “The level of volunteer involvement and grass-roots interest on the American side is impressive.”

My impression is that the War of 1812 has never really been much on the radar in the US. Except for the Battle of New Orleans (fought after the peace agreement was signed), and the bombardment of Fort McHenry at Baltimore (Oh, say, can you see...etc), I think most American folks without a keen interest in military history would be hard pressed to name a single battle. I don't think it has ever really been seen in the US as an epic tale of national survival against great odds, the way it has been handed down in our national heritage. Any serious analysis of the forces involved would suggest that the idea of  an Imperial plot to restore the US to the Empire was nonsense: the British forces were also somewhat occupied with Napoleon at the time. It doesn't stack up very well next to the Revolutionary War as a great narrative.

Not to mention that the War of 1812 featured some of America's least impressive military performances, and unsettling aspects such as the resistance of the northern New England states to the entire idea of the war.

Having said that, I'm not too sure what answer I would get if I asked 100 Canadians to name a battle from the War of 1812.....

Cheers

Other than Johnny Horton's song, I don't think the US is even aware that anything happened.

Of course this is all Obama's fault 8)
Can't have anyone think the Battle of New Orleans was anything but a Bush\ FEMA fiasco.  ;)

Oh, I dunno. It depends what you want to commemorate. As far as Maryland is concerned the fun doesn't start for another four years. Have a look at this link.

http://mddailyrecord.com/maryland-business/2010/02/04/war-of-1812-bicentennial-means-moo-lah-for-baltimore/

That's just one of many pieces that popped up when I googled 'funding commemoration Baltimore 1814'. The point of this link is it highlights the tourism opportunity Maryland wants to grasp. There will be commemoration aplenty.

The funding figures in the newspaper story above are presented as national totals when they're not. 

Comment Columnists / Christina Blizzard
Liberals balk at 1812 salute: Blizzard

Memorial for men who died in one of the most important battles in Canada’s history dismissed by Grits

By CHRISTINA BLIZZARD, Toronto Sun

Last Updated: September 23, 2010 10:36pm

Mention the War of 1812 and I had to scratch around in my brain to remember my high school history class.

I went to school in the U.K., so that era was generally taught through the prism of the Napoleonic Wars.
The most important feature of the War of 1812 that I could recall was that its biggest battle — New Orleans — was actually fought after the peace treaty had been signed in Ghent in 1814.
Hamilton East-Stoney Creek MPP Paul Miller brought the war to the floor of the Legislature this week.

The Battle of Stoney Creek was fought June 6, 1813.
Casualty reports suggest 23 British soldiers were killed and 17 Americans died.
While the British lost more men, the battle is considered to have been a victory that saved Canada from becoming part of the U.S.

The Americans were pushed back to the Niagara River — and were never able to make further inroads in Canada.
In 1998 and 1999, an archeological restoration project at Battlefield Park revealed military artefacts and almost 800 human bone fragments.
As the soil erodes, those human remains have moved closer to the surface.

It was also discovered that the battlefield and burial site actually extended further — into private property. When that land went up for sale, Hamilton council bought it, with the help of private money.
Miller wants the remains of those long-dead soldiers — believed to be British, American and First Nations — to be re-interred in a more dignified and appropriate way.

When he raised the issue in the Legislature in May, Premier Dalton McGuinty promised “to look into it.”
In June, Miller wrote to Tourism and Culture Minister Michael Chan requesting $200,000 for a cemetery and memorial.
Chan’s response appears confused. He said there’s no money to purchase the land — when the land has already been purchased. It’s the cemetery that’s at issue.

When Miller raised the issue in the House on Wednesday, Chan talked about how the government has allocated money to celebrate the bicentennial of the war in 2012.
“I would encourage the city of Hamilton to engage the western corridor bicentennial alliance to come up with a proposal so that we can, come 2012, celebrate 1812 in Stoney Creek.”

Miller says Stoney Creek will have to compete with other bicentennial projects for what would amount to about $50,000 — which wouldn’t even pay for the machinery they’d need for the re-interment.
“This bogus argument that he used to deny the funding is absolutely atrocious,” Miller said.

He’s quite right. This is disgusting.
The names and faces of those who died in that historic battle may be long forgotten, but it’s shameful for this government to allow their sacrifice to die with them.

A civilized country honours its war dead
A civilized country gives a decent final resting place to enemy combatants who die on its soil — especially when those old foes are now our friends.
It’s shocking they won’t do so.

This is the government that gave $1 million to a cricket club, yet they don’t have enough money to give a decent burial to soldiers who died in one of the pivotal nation-building battles of this country.
Chan needs to rethink his answer and make a new overture to the people of Stoney Creek.

Hey, he could call it the 1812 overture.

christina.blizzard@sunmedia.ca Twitter: @ChrizBlizz

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I saw it and thought many would be entertained by it.  "The First Invasion" is a highly Americanized account of the War of 1812, where they are portrayed and they are portrayed as the innocent victims and underdog nation.  I'll leave it at that and let you draw your own opinions from there.

http://canadianmilitaryandefence.blogspot.com/2010/12/first-invasion-war-of-1812.html

Reviving thread to show Canada's new total investment, via the National Post/Postmedia News - I look forward to the puppet version w/southeast Asian tunes....
The Conservative government is planning a $100-million national celebration to mark the bicentennial of the War of 1812 next year.

It is understood that the current plans for the commemoration include re-enactments of famous battles, the repair of monuments and plaques, a new visitor centre at Fort York in Toronto, a documentary, a national essay-writing competition and a dedicated website. Dean Del Mastro, the parliamentary secretary for Canadian Heritage, confirmed the government is keen to make the bicentennial a major event. He said the Prime Minister and Heritage Minister James Moore are intent on making sure the significance of the anniversary isn't missed.

"It is going to be something that will unite Canadians and foster a greater understanding of our history," he said. "The country's borders were established by the outcome of the war. It was a big moment in our history and a lot of Canadians don't know a lot about it."

The Conservatives are currently engaged in negotiating a perimeter security deal with the United States but Mr. Del Mastro said he did not think the Americans would be upset by events that celebrate the burning of the White House and the Capitol building, after a British raid in 1814.

"There will be celebrations on both sides of the border and American groups will come to Canada to celebrate the partnership that has evolved since then," he said. In fact, many of the events will celebrate 200 years of peaceful co-existence with a former adversary. "These were events that forged our future and made us able to continue as a separate nation," said Sandra Shaul, project manager for the City of Toronto's bicentennial commemorations.

One of the challenges identified by some event organizers is how to interest recent immigrants to Canada. Ms. Shaul said one proposal is to tell the story of 1812 using puppets accompanied by south-east Asian music.

"We have to help people understand this story through their own stories. We will have re-enactments done accurately but we also have to answer the question: Why should I care? What does it mean to me? I have a very diverse audience and I have to find an entry point to the story," she said ....

I'm just starting to read a book call "1812: War with America" by Jon Latimer. I admit, I'm more of a WW2 History buff. But I felt the need to educate myself more on our friends to the south. Since my fellow workers here, like to thump their chest over this conflict.

And this book, to be honest, I can't put it down. It is a very intresting, and informative.

Regards,
TN2IC

Ms. Shaul said one proposal is to tell the story of 1812 using puppets accompanied by south-east Asian music.

You've got to be frikkin' kidding me!

milnews.ca said:
I look forward to the puppet version w/southeast Asian tunes....

They are lucky to have a place for a puppet show. There was a battle between Metro and the City over the future of Fort York.
Metro wanted to build an on-ramp from Bathurst St. to the Gardiner west-bound, directly over Fort York.
There was also a proposal to link Highway 400 to the Gardiner to meet in the vicinity of Fort York. They considered re-locating the fort to the waterfront.
However, the fort was not moved, the Bathurst on-ramp was canceled, as was the Highway 400 interchange at Fort York.
Re-routing the expressway around the fort caused a six degree curve.

During the War of 1812, Fort York actually sat on the shore of Lake Ontario. Before all the landfill.

Fort York is now a National Historic Site, and houses Canada's largest collection of original War of 1812 period buildings.

Perhaps the lack of funding from the American side is because they don't like to talk about wars they didn't win?  ;D

I was watching CTV news ( Canada AM )  and  the ticker tape news always running during the news cast and this question came to mind. War of 1812  has to be the strangest war ever fought, both sides in the war are claiming victory. Who won the war? Who lost? I know in Canadian History classes I was taught we won the war and tossed out the invaders out of what is now Canada.  Not sure what is taught in US history  classes about the war. We Canadians do not say  much about the war  near the border where battles took place not to offend the American tourists that  visit the area.

One American historian claims Canada won the war.  See The National Post story: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/11/27/canada-won-the-war-of-1812-u-s-historian-admits/

Just curious what  do you  think , who won the war?

There are conflicting versions, however one that I read (and I will have to dig out the source) concluded that both Canada and the United States won in that the former was henceforth left alone to develop under the British Crown while the latter was accepted as an independent state by the British. The British perhaps broke more or less even, although they had to support the Canadian colonies, they also grewr to cooperate with the Americans. The group that lost, and lost miserably, where the native peoples, especially in the territories claimed by the US. It had been British policy to support the development of an "Indian" territory in the northwest, that is the upper Great Lakes states running down towards the Mississippi. This was dropped and American settlement moved in and forced the aboriginals out of their homeland with no compensation.

I am not sure the War of 1812 was the strangest war ever. While researching something else I came across a reference to the border war between Peru and Ecuador in July 1941, which included the use of airborne forces by the Peruvians. In other words, Peru was the third country after Germany and the UK to conduct an operational parachute assault. Who'da thunk?

Back