• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

We can start a new Ukraine thread here and, if Mike can undo my faux pas, I can merge them back together.
Thanks,
Bruce

Thank U Reaction GIF by BROCKHAMPTON

Time to repopulate the earth ...

The minister was asked for an update on the delivery of an air-defence system Canada pledged to donate more than a year ago.

In response, Blair said he did not have a timeline yet and that Canada is looking for other ways to help.

First question -

Who did the government pay $400,000,000? The US, Raytheon or Kongsberg?
And if the contracting party is in default of its obligations then why not switch to an alternative supplier?

Second question -

Where are we with respect to shipping those CRV-7 rockets from Dundurn?

First question -

And if the contracting party is in default of its obligations then why not switch to an alternative supplier?

Second question -

Third question -

Is a U.S. approval (or, specifically, lack thereof) for the sale holding things up?

Enquiring minds want to know ...

Time to repopulate the earth ...

First question -

Second question -

1. The issue is the lead time for NASAMS is 18 months right now due to the volume of orders.

2.last I heard they were being checked to even see if it was safe to do so. Ukraine says they will assume the risk but we still gotta transport then to an airport and then to Europe

1. The issue is the lead time for NASAMS is 18 months right now due to the volume of orders.

2.last I heard they were being checked to even see if it was safe to do so. Ukraine says they will assume the risk but we still gotta transport then to an airport and then to Europe

Thanks for both of those.

The lead time issue I totally believe. How easy would it be to say that?
Having said that, the system consists of an assortment of missiles as well as "infrastructure" (launchers, radars, fire direction centres and transport).
Would it be a bad bet to suggest that while the "infrastructure" would come in handy the real issue is missiles to put in their existing "infrastructure"?

As to the CRV-7s

Sample size and degree of acceptable risk? Testing procedures? Qualified personnel? What's up?
Those could be being used immediately to take down drones or to shell Russian trenches.

Further to the NASAMS question.

I stumbled over this:

*Based on an avg. 300 rounds per interception at $27 a round

The three primary/only NASAMS rounds are the ESSM, the AIM-120 and the AIM-9 and range in price from 1 to 2 MUSD apiece.
400 MCAD, or 300 MUSD would buy Ukraine 200 interceptions.

The Russians are sending that many targets in a single night.

I question a bunch of the costs in that document.

Changed the title as the old "Ukraine" thread is unrecoverable.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Bruce

Getting this thread started off. Seems there will be no shortages of R37. Not sure if I agree with the Prof that the Russian use of Glide bombs against fixed defences was not a major factor in the collapse of Ukrainian defences.

Back