• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Veterans Ombudsman Information Thread- Merged

Veterans Ombudsman

Inactive
Reaction score
As detailed in the Order in Council, the Veterans Ombudsman may establish a Veterans Ombudsman Advisory Committee to provide advice on matters relating to the Ombudsman's mandate. The composition of the Committee shall be determined by the Ombudsman taking into consideration the need for representation from veterans' and stakeholders' groups.

Send your nomination via email to: communication@ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca before 16 April 2008.

For more information, visit: http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca or see below.

Mandate
The mandate of the Veterans Ombudsman Advisory Committee shall be:

To advise the Ombudsman on matters relating to the well-being and fair treatment of VAC clients;
To make observations and comments on systemic problems within the VAC portfolio and recommend to the Ombudsman ways to deal with these issues;
To serve as a sounding board for initiatives or recommendations being considered by the Ombudsman's Office;
To develop and administer the annual Ombudsman's Commendations and recommend potential recipients to the Ombudsman.
Membership
The members of the Committee are drawn from persons nominated to the Ombudsman's by stakeholder groups. Membership on the Committee may include, but is not limited to, representation from:

A veteran or a member of the immediate family member of a veteran of:
WWII
The Korean War
Canada's contribution to UN Operations
Canada's contribution to NATO operations
Service in conflict areas not included above in support of GOC policy
Service in conflict area not included above in support the policy of an allied nation
Aboriginal descent
RCMP service

Members serving with:
The CF
The RCMP
VAC

Professionals with knowledge of or experience in dealing with veterans' issues from the following disciplines:
Medicine
Law
* We are not seeking representation from any specific Veterans Advocacy Groups; however, that is not to say that nominees cannot be active members of a Veterans Advocacy Group.

Nominations should be submitted by 16 April 2008 and should include the following information:

Name of the nominees
including ranks, titles and decorations if any for official correspondence);

Service background (including operational deployments if any);

Connection/relationship with and understanding of the issues related to the veteran community;

Availability for scheduled meetings, unscheduled meetings and conference calls as determined by the Chair;

Possible conflicting interests, such as:
official relationships with VAC,
receipt of veteran benefits and services if any,
formal positions with Veteran Advocacy Groups, or others.
Disclosure of possible conflicting interests is not intended to affect the selection of members of the OVO Advisory Committee, it merely protects the transparency and independence of the Office.

Attendance and Tenure
Members are appointed for a term of two years. It is expected that members will attend all meetings in the absence of exceptional circumstances. At the end of the two-year term, members may be re-appointed at the discretion of the Ombudsman for a further term of two years. The Ombudsman will endeavour to ensure that appointments of members are scheduled to allow for continuity and systematic rotation of membership. A member may withdraw from service on the Committee at any time upon written notification to the Executive Secretary. The Ombudsman may terminate membership at any time and advise the Executive Secretary to provide written notification to the member.

Reporting Structure
A Chairperson will be appointed by the Ombudsman who will sit as an ex officio member of the Committee. All members have equal status during discussions and following each meeting the Committee will submit recommendations to the Ombudsman for consideration. The authority for final decisions subsequent to Advisory Committee meetings rests with the Ombudsman.

Operations
Secretariat functions are provided by the Office of the Ombudsman. The Committee meets three times a year at a location to be determined by the Ombudsman. A number of items will be included on the agenda for meetings but the following subjects will recur on an ongoing basis.

Spring
To discuss the annual report (Ottawa)

Fall
To review the nominations for the Ombudsman Commendations (Ottawa/ Regional meeting)

Winter
To present the Ombudsman Commendations (Ottawa/Regional meeting)
Additional meetings may be held in consultation with the members and subject to the Ombudsman's approval. At the recommendation of the Committee and with the approval of the Chair, interested parties may be invited to make representations to the Committee in writing or in person, or may be granted observer status for discussion of a particular agenda item or for an entire meeting.

Confidentiality
In order to protect the confidentiality of complainants, committee members will not have access to case files. Discussions and notes of meetings are confidential and will be circulated to committee members and attendees only.

Compensation
Committee members are not entitled to remuneration; however, they will be compensated in accordance with Treasury Board travel policies and guidelines for travel expenses incurred to attend scheduled meetings.

No salary.

Veterans Ombudsman said:
The Ombudsman may terminate membership at any time and advise the Executive Secretary to provide written notification to the ...

Confidentiality
In order to protect the confidentiality of complainants, committee members will not have access to case files. Discussions and notes of meetings are confidential and will be circulated to committee members and attendees only.

Compensation
Committee members are not entitled to remuneration; however, they will be compensated in accordance with Treasury Board travel policies and guidelines for travel expenses incurred to attend scheduled meetings.

I wonder if the Ombudsman has to say why the membership is terminate.

I also wonder what "No acces of cases files" mean about the quantity of informations the members have acces to, in order
to advise properly...

The Advisory Committee will provide advice on broad and/or systemic issues, not individual files. Hence, members of the Advisory Committee will not have access to case files.

A veteran or a member of the immediate family member of a veteran of:
WWII
The Korean War
Canada's contribution to UN Operations
Canada's contribution to NATO operations
Service in conflict area not included above in support the policy of an allied nation
Aboriginal descent
RCMP service

Can someone please tell me how that fit's into the mix? And please don't say Aboriginal war vet's.I understand that natives have served/are serving in all of the above.But WTF does aboriginal descent have to do with ANYTHING above?

Two possibilities come to mind. I’ll give the cynical one first. It’s added for pure political correctness value this is after all Disneyland on the Rideau. Seriously I could presume as the criteria does not list service in Commonwealth, NATO or other Allied forces, it could refer to the fact that our Aboriginal brothers in arms having what amounts to dual US/Caandian citizenship have in the past and continue to enroll ion the US military.

Danjanou said:
Seriously I could presume as the criteria does not list service in Commonwealth, NATO or other Allied forces, it could refer to the fact that our Aboriginal brothers in arms having what amounts to dual US/Caandian citizenship have in the past and continue to enroll ion the US military.

Wouldn't that refer to commonwealth?

Aboriginal is a broad term that can cover many different nation's of people.So I doubt it is referring to dual citizenship,or it would have named the tribe's.

X-mo-1979 said:

Wouldn't that refer to commonwealth? As in serving in UK, US, etc forces, I would think, but not necessarily on the same conflicts-------- Iraq? maybe

Aboriginal is a broad term that can cover many different nation's of people.So I doubt it is referring to dual citizenship,or it would have named the tribe's.

Greymatters said:
No perks, all sacrifice! 

I wouldn't say all sacrifice.

I was on the "board of Governors" (thanks to kratz for the name) of one of my university.
I learned a lot. I thought I was making opinions of students heard, wasn't sure about any other impact, until I speak
about the impacts of having 300 student in the third year of my program (psychology), with less then 30 places for the master
(can't be a psychologist without one). Some students were scrared sh*tless about their future, they felt heavy stress. The board
then change the budget for psychologist services for students (from 50k to 100k).

X-mo-1979 said:
Can someone please tell me how that fit's into the mix? And please don't say Aboriginal war vet's.I understand that natives have served/are serving in all of the above.But WTF does aboriginal descent have to do with ANYTHING above?

When the full paragraph is read, it says:

"A veteran or a member of the immediate family member of a veteran of:
. . .
Aboriginal descent"

Of WW2 veterans, Canadians of aboriginal descent probably were, as a group, the most widely and systematically ignored for benefits following their return from overseas.  Having their voice at the table would be taking a step towards fixing some of the remaining problems of that era.

I thought I would take a second to advise everyone about our Office of the Veterans Ombudsman Facebook page and blog!

Prior to leaving the CF I volunteered my services to the Legion. My intention was to encourage young vets of the Afghanistan Campaign to join a veterans organization or form an association. When these great patriots retire some are going to need the special services offered by VAC: others will develop special needs later in life. I reasoned that those vets will come to appreciate the services of the various advocacy groups and associations that exist to champion the needs of veterans. Young vets were quick to point out to me that they already have an "association," they associate online!

So, the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman will be appearing on Facebook. The aim is to let the younger members of our veteran community know we are here, looking out for their rights and making sure they are treated fairly. How it is received and how it develops remains to be seen; however, I could foresee it becoming a resource where veterans can find links to the various organizations that provide services to vets. Look us up - our organization is listed as "Veterans Ombudsman des vétérans".

For those of you who want to read up on us more often, check out my blog at: http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/content/blog.cfm.

That said, due to the sensitive and confidential nature of our work we will not be using our Facebook page for any official business. Our Early Resolution Officers will still interact with our veterans by email, phone or letter.

Take care everyone!

P@ (Pat)

VETERANS OMBUDSMAN LAUNCHES NATIONAL "LEAVE NOBODY BEHIND" CAMPAIGN

Charlottetown – Today, Colonel (ret) Pat Stogran, Canada’s Veterans Ombudsman, launched the national "Leave Nobody Behind" campaign. The Ombudsman is calling on all Canadians, including military and Royal Canadian Mounted Police Veterans and their family members, to work with him to identify ex-service personnel who might be suffering in silence because they have not sought assistance or appropriate services do not exist for them at the present time. 

"We don't leave our wounded on the battlefield, so injured Veterans should not be left to care for themselves. I will leave nobody behind", said Colonel Stogran. "The Office of the Veterans Ombudsman is the rallying point for all Veteran issues. Everyone should feel that they can come to us on any matter that impacts on the Veteran community, and be confident that we will
follow up."

The Ombudsman announced this initiative at Legion Branch Number 1 in Charlottetown, where he was doing his first in an ongoing series of townhall meetings.  These townhalls enable the Ombudsman to maintain a dialogue with the Veterans’ community, thus ensuring that the work of the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman (OVO) remains relevant to our Veterans. 

For more information on the Ombudsman and the OVO, or to advise the Office of a Veteran who might be in need of assistance, please call us at:
1-877-330-4343 or visit our website at: www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca.

Veterans Ombudsman said:
The Ombudsman announced this initiative at Legion Branch Number 1 in Charlottetown, where he was doing his first in an ongoing series of townhall meetings.  These townhalls enable the Ombudsman to maintain a dialogue with the Veterans’ community....

Checked your web page, but couldn't find a schedule for these townhall meetings - any way to share the when & where's?  Thanks!

The calendar function on our website should be up and running shortly. Upcoming townhalls will be posted there. In the meantime, keep checking our blog for information on the Ombudsman and his activities.

Thanks!
Lisa - OVO

Back