• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarnhamar said:
President Obama will skip Memorial Day visit to Arlington National Cemetery
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/27/AR2010052702696.html

Obama will appear at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery

"We don't really see the big deal, so long as he's taking the time to honor our fallen war heroes throughout Memorial Day weekend," said Ryan Gallucci, spokesman for AMVETS. " . . . Arlington is certainly not the only place our fallen heroes are buried, so why not pay your respects to veterans around the country?"

Steve Muro, the Department of Veterans Affairs acting undersecretary responsible for 131 national cemeteries, said Obama's decision to visit a cemetery named for Lincoln is appropriate, since the 16th president established the country's first 14 national cemeteries.

Obama is not the first president to miss the Arlington ceremony. Ronald Reagan spoke at West Point one year, and went to his California ranch another year. George H.W. Bush, a war veteran, did not go at all.

END QUOTE

The critics were either ignorant of the facts or they failed to mention the 2007 Veterans Day ceremony when Vice President Dick Cheney spoke while President George W. Bush observed the holiday in Texas.

Vice President Dan Quayle laid the wreath at Arlington on Memorial Day, 1992. I recall covering President George H.W. Bush, a distinguished World War II vet, as he marked the holiday that year at his favorite vacation spot, Kennebunkport, Maine, where he spoke to a veterans group.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-not-the-1st-president-to-miss-memorial-day-at-arlington/

END QUOTE

For any pilots interested, the METARS for Orly are available at:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/can-trumps-helicopter-marine-one-fly-rain/575695/

dapaterson said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/can-trumps-helicopter-marine-one-fly-rain/575695/

In the comments section of the linked article,

Donald Trump did not attend the ceremony in the rain, because his hair would have fallen apart, and he would have looked terrible.

His hair and image are the most important things to him, and a horrible photo of Donald Trump in the rain does far more damage to him than missing an event, with an excuse.

The side by side comparisons to Obama, vigorous and impervious to rain would have been unbearable.

The vanity-focussed explanation is likely the best one; Trump was afraid of what would happen to his hair in the rain and the wind. It’s both reasonable and logical, considering his obsession with his ‘do’.

Imagine the photo ops? His ego would never have survived.

END QUOTE

Sounds a bit hard to believe. But, considering other "bad hair days",

Jimmy Kimmel Mocks Trump’s Bald Spot
https://www.thedailybeast.com/jimmy-kimmel-mocks-trumps-bald-spot-reveal-now-the-red-hats-make-sense

A different take on things,

Los Angeles Times

13 hrs ago

Trump, stung by midterms and nervous about Mueller, retreats from traditional presidential duties
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/trump-stung-by-midterms-and-nervous-about-mueller-retreats-from-traditional-presidential-duties/ar-BBPG1i8?ocid=ientp
"For weeks this fall, an ebullient President Donald Trump traveled relentlessly to hold raise-the-rafters campaign rallies - sometimes three a day - in states where his presence was likely to help Republicans on the ballot."

mariomike said:
Donald Trump did not attend the ceremony in the rain, because his hair would have fallen apart, and he would have looked terrible.
Whew... back to suppositions;  people were posting wa-ayyy  too many verifiable facts... and we've all seen how unsettling those can be.  :pop:

Classic Trump. Shit talking France about WW1&2.

He really doesn't know when to shut up. He should probably try squeezing in a uniform before criticizing other countries military actions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.france24.com/en/20181113-usa-trump-macron-france-burst-tweets-paris-visit-twitter-wwi-wwii-germany-wine

Jarnhamar said:

He really doesn't know when to shut up. He should probably try squeezing in a uniform before criticizing other countries military actions.

Reddit had a few good retorts to that.

"Europe should pull its weight in NATO!"
"OK, we will do so with our own weapons instead of ones bought from you."
"Nononono go back to buying US weapons!"

and...

Trump: I want to leave NATO.
EU: Okay we'll turn the EU into more of a military bloc then just a trade zone.
Trump: No don't do that.

Jarnhamar said:

A couple of books I have read come to mind,

Massacre Over the Marne - The RCAF ( and RAF ) bombing raids on Revigny ( France ) in July 1944:
"One thing that I hope emerges from this book, quite apart from the day-to-day heroism of the average bomber crew, is the wonderful assistance given by the average French family to the airmen whose misfortune it was to be shot down. We might have our national differences today but, when the chips were down....well, let's just say that for the French it was all or nothing. It was their life not yours on the line, and that should never be forgotten."

"Rendez-vous 127" by A.C.M. Sir Basil Embry:
"It is perhaps difficult for anyone who has not lived under the oppression of German occupation and witnessed first-hand the frightful evil of Gestapo police methods to appreciate fully what it meant to work in direct opposition to them. The married man or woman caught harbouring an Allied airman brought reprisals on the whole family - even small children were put to death."

I think the tweets were childish. Were they warranted?  Macron and a few others decided to politicize the whole Remembrance occasion and intimated that a European Union could take care of itself. He opened that door wide open to the same retort that we've been hearing from the US since 1919. I doubt we would have seen the retaliatory tweets otherwise.

As for knowing history, the vast majority of Americans have been indoctrinated through movies, education, books, etc to believe they were the absolute saviors of Europe during both World Wars. He was only expressing the opinion that millions of Americans believe to be true. Just like Canadians today, claim responsibility for burning the White House.

Perhaps it might be better to step back and question why Macron would do this, and voiced by Merkel and Trudeau also? Why are they telling us nationalism doesn't mean patriotism? That's exactly what it means according to mast any dictionary. Is it possible that that was a direct shot at Trump for calling himself a nationalist? The whole thing appears engineered from the start. Maximum exposure, maximum audience, in their house on EU territory and all about globalism.

Just seems weird.

Now, before I lose more milpoints and am called a Trump bootlicker again, I'm just playing devil's advocate and shining the light from a different angle. Discuss the points, if you wish, don't discuss me.

Remember the Caravan tweets?

"Donald Trump has sent a total of 0 tweets on the caravan since the election"
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/politics/donald-trump-caravan/index.html

dapaterson said:

A ceiling at 600 feet isn't necessarily super low, but combined with visibility down to 1 3/4  miles in light rain and mist it makes for poor flying conditions. T

Here are the METARS and TAF for that period.

Weather data for Orly, FR (Sat Nov 10 15:00:00 2018)
Station Info
Id Syno Name Political Latitude Longitude Elevation
ft m
LFPO 7149 Orly FR 48'43'00N 2'23'04E 295 90
METARs, Aviation Forecasts
LFPO Orly, FR 48'43N 2'23E 295ft 90m

METAR LFPO 100730Z 19009KT 9999 -RA OVC011 11/10 Q1002 TEMPO 4000 RA BKN009

METAR LFPO 100800Z 18009KT 9999 -RA FEW010 OVC012 11/10 Q1002 TEMPO 4000 RA BKN009

METAR LFPO 100830Z 18009KT 150V210 9999 -RA FEW010 OVC012 11/10 Q1002 TEMPO 4000 RA BKN009

METAR LFPO 100900Z 18010KT 9999 -RA BKN010 11/10 Q1002 TEMPO 4000 RA BKN009

METAR LFPO 100930Z 19011KT 7000 RA BKN010 11/10 Q1002 TEMPO 4000 RA BKN009

METAR LFPO 101000Z 18011KT 6000 RA BKN008 11/10 Q1002 NOSIG

METAR LFPO 101100Z 19011KT 2700 -RA BR OVC006 11/11 Q1002 NOSIG

METAR LFPO 101130Z 20011KT 3000 -RA BR BKN006 OVC013 12/11 Q1001 TEMPO 2500 RA BKN006

METAR LFPO 101200Z 19012KT 9999 -RA BKN009 12/11 Q1001 TEMPO 2500 RA BKN006

METAR LFPO 101230Z 25010KT 7000 -RA BKN010 12/11 Q1001 TEMPO 2500 RA BKN006

METAR LFPO 101300Z 21009KT 180V250 9999 -RA BKN010 12/11 Q1001 TEMPO 2500 RA BKN006

METAR LFPO 101330Z 21010KT 170V250 9999 -RA BKN011 12/11 Q1001 TEMPO 2500 RA BKN006

METAR LFPO 101430Z 20010KT 170V230 7000 -RA BKN010 13/11 Q1001 TEMPO 2500 RA BKN006

METAR LFPO 101500Z 20010KT 9999 BKN010 13/11 Q1001 NOSIG

TAF AMD LFPO 101015Z 1010/1112 20015KT 9999 BKN020
TEMPO 1010/1012 20015G25KT -RA BKN012
PROB40 TEMPO 1010/1012 2500 RA BKN008 SCT020TCU
TEMPO 1012/1112 20015G28KT 4000 -SHRA BKN014 SCT020TCU

TAF LFPO 101100Z 1012/1118 19010KT 9999 BKN020
TEMPO 1012/1014 2500 RA BKN006
TEMPO 1014/1021 19015G25KT 4000 -SHRA BKN012
TEMPO 1021/1108 20020G30KT 3000 SHRA BKN012 SCT020CB
TEMPO 1112/1118 4000 RA BKN012 BKN050TCU

The forecast included the presence of cumulonimbus and towering cumulus clouds which imply severe convective turbulance in and in the vicinity of the clouds, combined with the presence of moderate mechanical turbulance casued by the strong gusts from the clouds.

The author is right that helos can fly in worse conditions, but when it's not a necessity why risk the life of the president and the entire crew? Based on poor conditions through the likely launch and recovery time it makes sense that they would cancel a non-urgent/emergency flight.

mariomike said:
Remember the Caravan tweets?

"Donald Trump has sent a total of 0 tweets on the caravan since the election"
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/politics/donald-trump-caravan/index.html
I dont see anyone caring. The situation is being handled. Nothing to talk about. Only CNN.

And honestly, given the animosity between the two and CNNs trouble with the truth, when speaking of the GOP and Trump, I myself wont believe anything they say unless i can corroborate with other sources.  Any orgnization that gives people like Lemon a podium to shriek his racist screes is not legitimate IMO.

If I came here citing an alt right wing news source, I'd be ridiculed for doing it. CNN fits the same category.

Fox is an alternative.

But, "Its average viewer is extremely old."

Jul 21, 2016

It's a crisis faced by other news networks as well, but Fox most of all: Its average viewer is extremely old. The median age of a primetime Fox News viewer is 68, according to Nielsen. That means half of the channel's viewers are older than 68. CNN's median primetime viewer, meanwhile, is 59.
https://qz.com/738346/fox-newss-biggest-problem-isnt-the-ailes-ouster-its-that-its-average-viewer-is-a-dinosaur/

END QUOTE

CNN was the No. 1 news network — on broadcast and on cable — during coverage of the 2018 midterm elections among adults 25-54.
https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/fox-news-cnn-split-2018-midterm-election-night-ratings-battle/383740

END QUOTE

mariomike said:
Fox is an alternative.

But, "Its average viewer is extremely old."

Jul 21, 2016

It's a crisis faced by other news networks as well, but Fox most of all: Its average viewer is extremely old. The median age of a primetime Fox News viewer is 68, according to Nielsen. That means half of the channel's viewers are older than 68. CNN's median primetime viewer, meanwhile, is 59.
https://qz.com/738346/fox-newss-biggest-problem-isnt-the-ailes-ouster-its-that-its-average-viewer-is-a-dinosaur/

END QUOTE

CNN was the No. 1 news network — on broadcast and on cable — during coverage of the 2018 midterm elections among adults 25-54.
https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/fox-news-cnn-split-2018-midterm-election-night-ratings-battle/383740

END QUOTE

You're point is missing, I believe.

Old people watch Fox, young people watch CNN. That seems to be it. Is that adding something, to the conversation, we should be exploring?

Ratings are cherry picked and really mean zero.

That's the whole gist of your post.

Posting links and articles sans explanation, leaves people wondering where you're going.

I don't understand your highlighting of 'old people', or where you're trying to lead us with it.

If you're attempting to stay neutral by posting something and not commenting, I think you're failing. However, when we're left to try and establish your point, without your help, we have to find what suits us and it might not convey what you were attempting to infer.

That's just my take on it though. Perhaps I'm missing something.

edit - sp

President Trump, energy and diplomacy:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/trump-wields-his-energy-weapon

Some key takaways is the United States is leveraging the ability to export energy to weaken opponents like Russia and Iran, and this energy independence provides much more flexibility for the Administration to pursue goals such as renegotiating trade deals and other aspects of the Administration's foreign policy.

While not mentioned in the article, the growing availability of inexpensive energy also is helping in other ways, particularly in powering the US economy and helping allied nations economies with overall lower global energy prices. As an energy producing nation ourselves, we need to unplug our hydrocarbon industry to reap the benefits of greater international market access, not to mention reducing our own reliance on imported oil (particularly on the East coast).

Fishbone Jones said:
I dont see anyone caring. The situation is being handled. Nothing to talk about. Only CNN.

And honestly, given the animosity between the two and CNNs trouble with the truth, when speaking of the GOP and Trump, I myself wont believe anything they say unless i can corroborate with other sources.  Any orgnization that gives people like Lemon a podium to shriek his racist screes is not legitimate IMO.

If I came here citing an alt right wing news source, I'd be ridiculed for doing it. CNN fits the same category.

Actually President Trump did care.  He sent 45 tweets about it in the two weeks prior to the mid terms.  Immediately after.  0.  His previous tweets made it sound like a barabarian invasion.

So I guess then that the border is ok now?  Or is going to be bad again when he needs to scare up votes?

Remius said:
Actually President Trump did care.  He sent 45 tweets about it in the two weeks prior to the mid terms.  Immediately after.  0.  His previous tweets made it sound like a barabarian invasion.

So I guess then that the border is ok now?  Or is going to be bad again when he needs to scare up votes?

You're confusing then with now.

I just don't see anything for him to tweet about. He has the troops there. Mattis is doing his job. Everything that needed saying has been said. Until they get to the border, there's nothing to say.

Barbarian invasion? I don't recall him saying that. Got a source? Otherwise, it's just a bit simplistic and hyperbolic.

People bitch when he tweets and now are upset he isn't tweeting. Seriously, he hasn't mentioned the caravans and that's what you guys are losing sleep about? I find it comical that that is what the left is crowing as news. It simply shows how gullible and accepting people are of the Max Headrooms of the airwaves. Especially if said teleprompter reader is espousing something the listener agrees with. One simply has to dislike Trump and they'll lap up all this cold pablum like a prime rib dinner.

Nobody would even care if it weren't for the media.

Mark Twain said it better than I ever could.

Trump isn't tweeting about the caravan, something nefarious is about to happen. The game is afoot Watson!  :rofl:

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 131
Further to my thoughts of the media.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/exclusive-72-percent-say-media-dividing-americans-spreading-hate?fbclid=IwAR3Jq43X5IzIwhe9J4AYxExD5RhoPh-NzClQA9sAPkVECkK_6tg5h-n32Vw

There will be a follow up on Trump's role. I'll wait for that before commenting.

I think, it's pretty clear what the vast majority of people really think about today's media. I think those being polled were being generous, but that's just me.

The only thing that old people and young people had to do with anything was in an observation to the study.

"While both genders were in agreement, generational age groups had an inverse relationship. Interestingly, younger voters age 18-24 and age 18-29 (81-82% strongly and somewhat agree/18-19% strongly and somewhat disagree) were much more likely to blame the media for spreading hate and misunderstanding than older voters age 65+ (62% strongly and somewhat agree/38% strongly and somewhat disagree) and age 70+ (67% strongly and somewhat agree/33% strongly and somewhat disagree)."

Furniture said:
A ceiling at 600 feet isn't necessarily super low,

Well, that depends on a bunch of things.

Like whether one's flying in it...

For those not familiar with flying operations, minimum VFR (Visual Flight Rules) requirements for operating in controlled airspace, in Canada, are three miles vis, no less than 500 feet vertical distance from cloud, and no less than one mile horizontally. Subtract, then, 500 feet from the reported ceiling. There are slightly different minima in control zones and uncontrolled airspace, and between helicopters and seized-wing aircraft, but not enough to make a difference in this case.

The ceiling given in a METAR (METeorological Aerodrome Report) is accurate for the reporting airfield. It does not take terrain or building heights into account at any distance from the airfield. Orly is south of the core of Paris, and well within the built-up area of the city. I do not know the height of the tallest buildings that would have been encountered along the route, but accepting a low ceiling and reduced visibility, with or without a head of state aboard, would have been stupid.

Broken cloud (“BKN” in TAFs and METARs) means 5/8 to 7/8 coverage. Broken cloud constitutes a ceiling. Gaps between clouds can close pretty quickly, which is why they’re known as “sucker holes”.

The crew would have received much more in-depth briefings from the Met guys at Orly than just a cursory glance at METARs and TAFs (Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts), and would have studied the terrain enroute as well. Based upon my limited (compared to theirs) information, I’d not have flown in the stated conditions, either. I’ve spent more than enough time concerned about weather conditions in which I’ve found myself over many years, and known too many who died or were severely injured in weather-related crashes.

I spent three years with 444 Squadron in Lahr, West Germany (1986-1989), where our limits for completing a mission were 250 feet AGL (Above Ground Level), clear of cloud, and 800 metres vis. Flying in those minima could be very uncomfortable at times, even with greatly-reduced airspeed. At normal cruise speed, one would cover that 800 metres in 15 seconds. Gary Larson nailed it in the Far Side “What’s that mountain goat doing way up here in these clouds” cartoon (but major towers, power lines, and high-rise buildings are more common).

Airspace is much more dense, complex, and busy in Europe than in most of Canada. We were far less familiar with much of the geography over which we often flew than the natives were, and geography can make big differences at low altitudes in poor weather. The Marine crew would have been even less familiar with the geography in which they were scheduled to fly than we were back then.

I also flew two six-month Police helicopter trials in Canada: Peel Region (Brampton and Mississauga) in the last half of 1999, and Toronto in the last half of 2000. Toronto International was slap in the middle of our patrol area during the Peel Region trial. Most of our work was done at night. A lot of the workload (and the Peel Region trial was the busiest that I’ve ever been in a cockpit) was intently monitoring a very busy ATC frequency as, from the controllers’ points of view, we bumbled around unpredictably (and, yes, I always kept them informed). We flew at a comfortable 1000 feet AGL while patrolling, and only went below that when absolutely necessary. Descending below 500 feet, on the rare occasion that we did so, above lit buildings at night was not comfortable; in theory, there are no unlit cranes or antennae poking up that high above building tops, but I was NOT going to break my comfort limits unless somebody’s life depended upon it.

Flying, then, after all of that, was not an option.

I am not sure where in Paris he was staying (one article mentioned the US Embassy), but I have read that it was a 60 km drive to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and that it would have taken 2.5 hours in each direction and required road closures throughout the total duration of the drive in both directions. Google Maps gives a distance of 87 km and a driving time of 1.1 to 1.5 hours, depending upon the route, from the city core (as defined by Google Maps). That distance might not sound like it would take that long, but this would have been a large motorcade.

Instead of going to Aisne-Marne, he went, later, to Suresnes American Cemetery about 12 km west of the city core (as defined by Google Maps), with a normal driving time of 29 minutes, or one-third that of the max time to Aisne-Marne.

What security concerns did his Secret Service, and French security personnel, have, with the route and driving time to Aisne-Marne? It’s generally best to listen to their recommendations. We also do not know how packed his schedule was. Was roughly six hours available? When was it known that conditions would be too bad to fly? Forecasts can change quickly. It may (or may not) have looked perfectly feasible to fly a few hours prior to the planned departure time, and then become too late to safely engage Plan B. I don’t know what the forecast was the previous day, when the flight was planned to depart, or how long it takes to fully engage the back-up plan.

Plus, of course, the headline would then have been “Trump Ignores Secret Service, Drives Anyway, Recklessly Endangers Many Lives”.

His visit to Suresnes also occurred in rain. Was there more, the same, or less rain there than Aisne-Marne? Nobody seems to have noted that. His hair likely got as wet as it would have had he gone to the original location, but I presume that the Presidential Umbrella would have been neither more nor less effective in either place. I don’t think that wet hair was his prime concern. Safety, security, and concern for others would have trumped that yugely.

This is a fuss with no substance - merely a concerted exercise to demonize a President, about whom so many have been wound up to believe the worst, by media and others. A fair chunk of the Parisien citizenry would certainly have bitched, justifiably so, in my opinion, if his motorcade had interfered with their drives home on top of any rain-related delays that already faced them.

Erring on the side of caution - sometimes A Good Thing, no matter what others may say.

I tend to agree to an extent.  I see absolutely no political gain whatsoever in missing the ceremony.  Not at home, not with the base.  But given the president’s habit of playing petty politics it is easy to see how it may be seen by some as something more deliberate.  Nothing shocks me when it comes to him.  But it was likely something technical rather than some sort of snit fit.

And besides, as far as conflicts go WW1 doesn’t seem to have the same importance in American culture as it does for us (including all former British colonies) and most of Europe. 

Loachman said:
Well, that depends on a bunch of things.

Like whether one's flying in it...

Erring on the side of caution - sometimes A Good Thing, no matter what others may say.

Much more detailed explanation than I gave for sure.

Given that the TAF was ammended part way through it's forecast period due to unexpected worse conditions, it's safe to assume the forecast from the planning brief the day before likely did not reflect conditions that morning either.

Edit: To keep on topic, sloppy reporting like I saw on CBC with a headline along the lines of Light Rain Keeps Trump from Ceremony just creates distrust in the media's ability to report impartially and reasonably on some topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back