• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Threat of Modern Piracy- A Merged Thread

It would appear to this layman that the one advantage of guns over missiles is the number of war shots available without requiring a withdrawal in order to re-load. Perhaps a combination of big guns and MLRS?
With a big enough ship you could have Strike Length VLS cells that could be internally reloaded by pivoting internally.

With a big enough ship you could have Strike Length VLS cells that could be internally reloaded by pivoting internally.
This derail should probably be moved to another thread, but in the spirit of Army.ca I'll continue off topic....

If instead of mounting the launch cells vertically you could instead mount something like this flush with the deck and reload them horizontally like a torpedo tube but would take up more room than a vertically mounted system..
OIP.9WdK2_V-PDnNrIo0P0j34gHaEc

Might be an option for anti-ship and land attack missiles but I'm guessing that VLS systems have an advantage for AD missiles as they provide better 360' launch options.

I'm sure if there was a simple solution for re-loading VLS cells underway someone would have come up with it. Probably much easier to come up with a magazine system for small point defence missiles.

Pluses and minuses.

Seacans take up more deckspace.
Seacans can be mounted in numbers on any vessel with an flat weather deck.

VLS take up less deckspace
VLS demands a purpose built vessel.

1704816435401.png

1704816656964.png
1704816683894.png

So 1 TEU-40 Seacan = 4x Tomahawk or 4x SM-2,3,6 or 16x ESSM
1 Offshore Support Vessel could handle 4 to 6 seacans = up to 96x ESSMs or 24x TLAMs or SMs.

How many on the upper outboard containers on this ship?

1704817114257.png

1704817441189.png1704817530814.png

Want to add some mortars, cannons, short range missiles and lasers to the stacks?

You better or you find pirates suddenly boarding your vessel loaded with all sorts of juicy hardware.

Pirates??? How about a new trade?

Counter pirate 🏴‍☠️?? Argghhh shiver me timbers.

Jack Sparrow is the Col in Chief 😉
Unfortunately Privateering has essentially been illegal since 1856. Although, the US constitution still allows Congress to issue letters of marque. The topic comes up occasionally.

I'm sure there are times when an augmentation to the RCN would be helpful.

Unfortunately Privateering has essentially been illegal since 1856. Although, the US constitution still allows Congress to issue letters of marque. The topic comes up occasionally.

I'm sure there are times when an augmentation to the RCN would be helpful.
So you don’t call it Privateering. Call it a Maritime Safety Company that has a contract with the GoC.

Back