• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
But I am sure a PMed will be by sometime to say that blousing does lessen the chances of you getting bugs (sand flys etc) up your legs.

Well, now I don't have to.  I'm sorry to say that I don't think the little bit of ventilation afforded by unblousing pants is going to ward off heat exhaustion.  The heat, humidity and the extra kit (flak vest, etc) couldn't have anything to do with it, now could it?

In the British Army they're known as 'skiddies', but I'm too polite to explain why (finally).

ArmyVern said:
Someone needs some serious map work (although I'm sure someone, somewhere will justify this as cause to perform a 'lil bit more 'military tourism' to substantiate a necessity for unblousing).  :brickwall:

It will no doubt be a tour of US and UK and Dutch bases (a week each), followed by a week and a half in Mirage, followed by three weeks in KAF (but never outside the wire), followed by another week in Mirage - oh look!  More than 30 days in theatre! - and the end result will be a two page briefing note stating "The situation is complex, and requires further study".

Damn.  I've already written up the conclusion - there goes that jammy go...

daftandbarmy said:
In the British Army they're known as 'skiddies', but I'm too polite to explain why (finally).

Uhhmmm, highly doubt any explanation is required --- every anglo Canuk should understand that term.

ArmyVern said:
Uhhmmm, highly doubt any explanation is required --- every anglo Canuk should understand that term.

I think I do  :p

I'm not sure if the direction is getting out there properly, I've heard about utilizing the trouser flaps in order to keep sand flies out. I know it works for mosquitoes.

Quote from: daftandbarmy on Today at 16:37:04
Well, as long as you can still wander around with your fly open, without a set of skivvies on,  I guess that's OK

No one does that!! Regs say we have to wear skivvies.  

Unless you're going commando, that is. In which case oakleys must be worn, sideburns must be grown out, and underwear is prohibited.

Trust me. I know a guy who knows a guy who knows these sorts of things. I just can't wait untill the big army catches up!! ;D

Wonderbread said:
Unless you're going commando, that is. In which case oakleys must be worn, sideburns must be grown out, and underwear is prohibited.

Trust me. I know a guy who knows a guy who knows these sorts of things. I just can't wait untill the big army catches up!! ;D

Heck, I know CHICKS who do this (all of your above)!!  :-X

Rifleman, I always used my leg "flaps" over seas, even when unblousing my pants, though it still seemed to allow better air circulation.  We took turns showing off our swollen legs to each other the day after we entertained the chain of command by listening to the rules.  That's where you can see the difference, the bright red line on peoples legs from wearing the elastics...

Mind you, I was one of the only guys in my patrol that was not eaten by sand fleas in Ghundy Ghar, maybe I taste too bad for them?

Bzzliteyr said:
Rifleman, I always used my leg "flaps" over seas, even when unblousing my pants, though it still seemed to allow better air circulation.  We took turns showing off our swollen legs to each other the day after we entertained the chain of command by listening to the rules.  That's where you can see the difference, the bright red line on peoples legs from wearing the elastics...

Mind you, I was one of the only guys in my patrol that was not eaten by sand fleas in Ghundy Ghar, maybe I taste too bad for them?

There you go.  I guess if you're using the leg flap, I don't care if your pants are bloused or not!  :)
I never understand the whole "my boot bands are too tight" thing.  I realize in the heat, you may get some swelling but why not try wearing two hooked together?  ???

PMedMoe said:
There you go.  I guess if you're using the leg flap, I don't care if your pants are bloused or not!  :)
I never understand the whole "my boot bands are too tight" thing.  I realize in the heat, you may get some swelling but why not try wearing two hooked together?  ???

Or blouse them on your boots. 

Well, my skinny little legs are too small for two boot bands.. I suppose I could use the very impressive looking cords they put in the pants...besides, I never got the red marks myself, I always won the contest!!

Yeah.. on my boots.. I have seen people try that.. I am thinking... not a good idea if we are trying to project a good image of the forces... kinda dorky looking if you ask me.

I have seen people use those wide black elastics, they are interesting.  I am not sure if they make a difference or not.

I always said to myself, and have vocally mentioned it to higher ups "Why do we wear boot bands?".  No one can ever seem to answer me.

Meh.

Rifleman, I always used my leg "flaps" over seas, even when unblousing my pants, though it still seemed to allow better air circulation.  We took turns showing off our swollen legs to each other the day after we entertained the chain of command by listening to the rules.  That's where you can see the difference, the bright red line on peoples legs from wearing the elastics...

If the sand fleas were going to get you, they would have got you regardless. I figure the reason some guys get craploads of bug bites and others don't is that some people are allergic and others arn't.

I wore my pants unbloused, with the sandtraps flipped up and buttoned in place underneath the pantleg. My socks were rolled down over the top of my boot to keep my laces in place. I should have been the worse case for sand fleas, but never suffered a single allergic reaction.

A guy who rode in my boat however was not so lucky. The antihistamines (or whatever the docs gave him) wern't strong enough so the ANA offered him their own cure: a strange smelling oil in a small unmarked green bottle sealed with plastic wrap and a metal cap. Handsome boy that he was, we all suggested that the ANA had given him "Love Potion No. 9".  He never did try it.

I normally use the strings for blousing in the field, over the boot. I find that helps preventing the legs of the pants from getting snagged. And I don't have to do the "where the heck is that boot band"

As for the wide black elastics I found them a pain in the butt as the end up rolling and just as bad as the typical boot bands.

I never understood the unbloused look, but the open fly, it should be in the dress regs

Wonderbread said:
If the sand fleas were going to get you, they would have got you regardless. I figure the reason some guys get craploads of bug bites and others don't is that some people are allergic and others arn't.

I wore my pants unbloused, with the sandtraps flipped up and buttoned in place underneath the pantleg. My socks were rolled down over the top of my boot to keep my laces in place. I should have been the worse case for sand fleas, but never suffered a single allergic reaction.

Getting bug bites is not an allergic reaction.  How you react to bites (e.g. swelling, itching) is an allergic response.

Anybody wearing repellent on exposed skin?  Hope the uniforms are treated, too.

Bzzliteyr said:
Yeah.. on my boots.. I have seen people try that.. I am thinking... not a good idea if we are trying to project a good image of the forces... kinda dorky looking if you ask me.

Or tuck your pantleg into the boot.  I use the velcro/elastic bands and find them much more comfortable than the boot bands.

Bzzliteyr said:
I always said to myself, and have vocally mentioned it to higher ups "Why do we wear boot bands?".  No one can ever seem to answer me.

Allegedly, it's to keep the creepycrawlies off your legs.  I've seen more and more police are doing this as they're spending more and more time chasing clients into grass and wooded areas.  That said, I'll often go camping and hiking in shorts with little to no effect.

I was going to write it but didn't.... the sand traps are there to protect you.  Even if the pant leg itself is not bloused the sand trap functions as a barrier.

Funny you should mention the tucked in style.  Before and during my tour (the last one, BTW) we, as crewman were told not to wear our pants like "jumpers".  I assume it's a Para thing?  Is it in the dress regs??  Well, neither are boot bands nor most combat kit.. go figure.

On a side note, in the CFP 265 (dress regs), it is mentioned that combat kit will be left up to the discretion of local commanders.. (paraphrasing, I don't have my pdfs with me).

Getting bug bites is not an allergic reaction.  How you react to bites (e.g. swelling, itching) is an allergic response.

Anybody wearing repellent on exposed skin?  Hope the uniforms are treated, too.

I knew that, but I should have been clearer.  It's a layman thing. Most guys will say "arrgh! These mosquito bites are so itchy!" instead of "Arrgh! The allergic response I'm having to the saliva left by the mosquito after it bit me is soooooo itchy!" It's possible I was covered in bites the same as everyone else and I just didn't notice.

I can't remember if anyone was wearing permethrin or other bug repellant. I know I wasn't. All combats were treated with permethrin, though.

Back