• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Rugby Thread- Merged Over The Years

The ghey is strong in those jerseys.

Kat Stevens said:
Bring back the old London Bell Tent and Awning Co. cotton jerseys....only weighed about 35 lbs after a good day out in the rain at the Gobbler.

Yes!

Scott said:
She and have a great time talking about the differences between rugby in England vs Canada and the same convo about hockey in the two nations. What would our chances be if we had Major Junior, Junior A, B, C and University level leagues? Maybe 'chances" is a bad way to put it...What would the chances be of us producing legitimate talent?

If you can find it I recommend reading "Coarse Rugby" by Michael Green. It deals with the "beer league" level of rugby (i.e the 5th XV and lower).

Wales got ripped a new one by England (around 60 point difference) on Saturday.  I don't think they'll be kind enough to play that side against us come World Cup time.  ... things aren't good in that camp, though.

Just got back from Paris...
... the place is ALIGHT with RWC about to start...

...The logo is everywhere and so are the troopies with FAMAS rifles...

The Peugot Store on the Champs d'Elysées was decked out nicely.

I think your going to be disappointed to try and watch the games on TV, you'll probably have to go to the pub and pay the entrance fee... If you can get in...

Hmmm, but most satellite providers, at least here, do not allow for public rebroadcast of pay per view events, right? So we might just get lucky and be bale to watch without cover charge...we'll just have to pay higher prices for the drinks ;)

I'm ordering over broadband, 24 hour delay though so I'll have to keep the TV off to avoid seeing scores.

I say we put a ban on posting scores in this thread before the 24 hours is up, wouldn't want to come ac cross it by accident ;D

Sounds good to me ... I might just have to go the 'net route as well as I'm probably going to be working at a camp with no satellite access (praying they have broadband!) 

Have to make sacrifices so I can get to Aussie in January.  Even had a mate offer two tickets to Wales v Canada at face value, which I reluctantly had to turn down.  :(

Hey, just found out Setanta is launching on Rogers 429... they are going to charge extra for it after September 10, but they say they'll be showing all the RWC games...  Don't know about Shaw and Bell xperssvu

Can't confirm the cost but I know they'll be showing some lower level games... unfortunately nothing big.

Nothing big? So can we expect to see all of Canada's games? :-X

I've heard Bell will along with Rogers, but my parents (who could tape it for me) have Starchoice and no word from them yet.  :(

I remember the last two - every game - being on Sportsnet!  I don't know who's the villian here, though.  Sportsnet for not shelling out the cash, or Setanta for not making it available/jacking the price?

There is usually some good discussion and frequent updates on the Canadian Rugby forum here:  www.canadianrugby.ca

Put the blame where it belongs.  The IRB is completely out of control for wanting HUGE profits, and screw the average guy at home looking for a footie fix every 4 years.

Yup, and in a market where the Americas Cup has more coverage space on the sports stations (Read - Rugby has NONE) websites they sure aren't going to pay the money that the IRB wants.

The market will grow and people will watch, but it has to be cost effective for the networks. To be cost effective there needs to be advertising and for advertising to come you need viewers.

FSW Canada and Sportsnet used to both carry all the Super 14 matches, and Tri Nations.  Also the NPC and Curry Cup competition.  Never a 6 nations game though, or even a Zurich Prem game.The ratings were quite good, and the show was popular (even though Max Bretos is a pratt).  All of a sudden, plug pulled, no footie.

Gleaned from the 'net.

http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/Home/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/

I did some padding around the site and from what I gather you can pay $150 to get the service for a year which includes all RWC games LIVE and on delay for the ones you miss. As well, these guys should be the ones broadcasting the Heineken Cup.

There is a monthly service but I don't think it covers RWC.

Now to get the connections for laptop to TV and audio attachments ??? I have S-Video on my machine, so I need S-Video to RCA, right? What about audio? I refuse to watch the games crammed around my machine....

Setanta also has a service where you can find bars in Canada that have their service, any one that has their service should have RWC.

My good deed for the day.

More from the 'net, like we didn't already know...

Usual caveats:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/index.php?lang=en&page_id=10&news_id=3137

TV IN CANADA - THE REAL TRUTH

May 28, 2007

Rugby on TV in Canada is increasingly hard to see.

Toronto, ON

Garth Gottfried is a television producer at Sportsworld, which is a daily international sports show hosted by James Sharman on the Score Television. Sportsworld airs weekdays at 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm (EST) across the country, regularly including rugby. Additionally, the Score has aired rugby games in the past year.

In November, 2006, Garth wrote an article on some of the problems facing the sport of rugby and general broadcast television in Canada.

Rugby Canada gets many inquiries about the 2007 Rugby World Cup and whether it will be on television.

Setanta owns the rights for North America. The Irish television company is currently trying to obtain approval from the Canadian Radio-Television Commission (CRTC) for a Canadian station licence.

If the CRTC does does not grant a licence in time, then watching the games on the closed-circuit at your local rugby club or pub may be the only option. However, online solutions such as Setanta's online division and companies like Mediazone on delay may be possible as well.

Ultimately, if Setanta can find a broadcast partner in Canada willing to air the games, then the Rugby World Cup (or at least part of it) could still be on the air. But at this time, that is not the case.

For your own information purposes, we re-print Garth's article. It is also linked from our front page to make it easier to find.

Rugby in Canada on TV
Here at The Score, we started showing rugby games for the first time in 2006: the Canada-New Zealand opener at the Women’s Rugby World Cup was aired live on on August 31st. Three other tournament games were also aired, but on tape-delay.

In June, six games from the Canadian leg of the Churchill Cup were all shown live, including three finals, all in a row.

Although that is far more live Canadian rugby than in recent years, it is still very little for anyone accustomed to what is on offer in other nations, or even accustomed to previous Canadian television coverage of rugby.

BALANCING THE BOOKS FOR RUGBY BROADCASTS

Although a great result for Canada, the Rugby World Cup Qualifier (RWCQ) played in St. John’s, Newfoundland on August 12th, was not aired. This was considered scandalous by some in the rugby community.

Holding the game there may have ensured a vocal, partisan crowd at the match – which was surely appreciated by the players on the day – but the relative isolation of Newfoundland made the production costs rise significantly.

The key component in broadcasting live sports is the video production truck. Looking much like an 18-wheel rig, ‘the truck’ contains everything necessary for a broadcast. Trucks cost typically between $30,000 to $40,000 a day.

For somewhere like Newfoundland, trucks need to be shipped by ferry and travel time is part of the cost.

The other issue at the RWCQ was the opposition: interest from the general public in the USA is similar to that in Canada – low. The two factors combined to make television broadcast very unlikely.

When Canada plays within its own borders, if the opposition is from one of the rugby ‘foundation’ countries, interest abroad from other broadcasters offsets the costs.

Thus when Canada played Wales (2005) and France (2004) at York University stadium, the games were readily televised. Toronto has the infrastructure to provide the necessary equipment at the lowest costs and both Welsh and French broadcasters will readily purchase the rights, balancing the expenditure.

Similarly, with events like Churchill Cup or Canada away to a major rugby nation, those production costs are paid for by either the RFU or the host broadcaster.

Someone who is well versed on both the Canadian rugby scene and Canadian television landscape is Mark Winokur. Head coach of the Irish Canadian Rugby Club in Toronto, Mark has been part of more than a few championships, including recently the 2006 McCormick Cup. Mark is also the Corporate Sales Director at The Score television network.

“The problem with rugby in Canada is that it costs just as much as most field sports to produce but delivers a fraction of the audience,” comments Winokur. “A sold-out rugby game might make $20,000 based on current audience levels.”

Virtually no one who reads articles on the Rugby Canada website would disagree that rugby is indeed a sport. But at The Score, e-mail feedback delivers daily invectives about the shortcomings of wrestling, poker and horse-racing; all three can be found on most sports networks.

The appeal of such programming is generally not the sporting content but rather the audience they deliver compared to the production costs. On a balance sheet, rugby does not compare well – on this continent anyway.

STATIONS FEATURING RUGBY

The International Rugby Board (iRB) produces Total Rugby, which has been on the air for two years. Originally on Fox Sports World Canada and now also The Score, the show carries many highlights from the world’s top competitions.

However, the viewer information is tracked and the data could be better.

“The numbers for Total Rugby have been pretty inconsistent,” adds Winokur. “Hopefully they will level off at the high end, otherwise it will be difficult to renew.”

Another television network that is willing to carry rugby is Setanta.

Known to most Canadian rugby fans as the satellite service that brings properties like the Six Nations into rugby clubs and pubs, Setanta is looking to expand in Canada.

Started by Irish ex-pats living in England in 1990, Setanta has grown from a roomful of people watching Ireland play at the FIFA World Cup, to a multi-million dollar corporation.

Bringing various sports into non-traditional markets is a definite theme at Setanta: in Australia, they deliver properties such as Greek and Scottish soccer; in Europe, their North American Sports Network (NASN) will just as readily air highlights from the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.

Currently in the USA, private homes south of the border are able to get Setanta’s programming for $15 a month. Quite a bit of rugby is available: the Heineken Cup, Super 14 and the Guinness Premiership are a few of the properties on offer.

Moving into Canada is something Setanta is currently working on.

“With the way the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) operates, we will be working with an already established Canadian station as a broadcast partner,” states Shane O'Rourke, President of Setanta’s North American operations.

“We are currently in the stage where the details are being ironed out; lawyers are doing most of the work at this stage.

“Should everything work out, we are hoping to get into Canadian homes within three to six months.”

For many Canadian rugby fans, that will be welcome news; Setanta has already secured the rights to the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

“Canada presents a unique opportunity,” continues O’Rourke. “There is an audience for the sport there. Establishing it as a viable television property is still a risk but we are willing to try it.”

Another way rugby is getting into Canadian homes is on broadband internet. Setanta has a broadband service as does the Rugby Channel on MediaZone. The Rugby Channel is already bringing in games like Wales versus Canada in the autumn test series.

THE TREND OF SPECIALIZED SPORTS BROADCASTS

For some people, $15 a month will be too steep a price for a single channel. For others, it will seem like a bargain as they will no longer have to watch games at a pub.

But paying specifically for an individual channel or service to watch a certain sporting event in the comfort of your own home is something that is already on the rise.

NHL Centre Ice delivers over 1,100 games to hockey fans that would otherwise not be able see most of those games; NFL Sunday ticket provides a similar service for American gridiron football.

The Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks all already have their own stations, which acquire the broadcast rights to more and more games each season. In Europe, major soccer clubs have their own stations as well; in the USA some baseball teams have them.

If rugby follows this trend, there is very little in the Canadian television market place that will stop it. At least the games would be there for those who want to get them.

The downside will be that the hope that a non-rugby fan might casually tune in to a game and become a convert, will unfortunately fade. Viewing live rugby could become a situation like boxing: only those already genuinely interested in the sport will make the effort to see it live.

Garth Gottfried
Producer, The Score Television
E-mail: Sportsworld@thescore.ca

Well today Setanta just come on the air on Rogers, Shaw, Bell Expressview, and Starchoice.. and should be on the air on Cogeco by early September.

Well it's true Setanta doesn't have a channel license, it is able to broadcast(and IS) as a Sports PPV Pack. What this essentially means is currently the channel can broadcast live games, half time commentary, delayed games, and repeat games but not pregame shows, or magazine shows.  How ever i did see at least 1 weekly Scottish Premier league highlight show on it(not sure how that was able to be done).

Setanta will cost $15 a month, starting next month.  It's a free Preview for a month now.

Sorry my eyes hurt right now i literally watched the channel from 7:30am to now at midnight.  They had 7 EPL games on and in the middle of that ruckus they had a England v France rugby RWC warmup match live at 2pm ET.

Last night I also watched a game of Rugby union from South Africa and one from the New Zealand and I caught an Aussie Rules Football game too.

anyways getting to the point... Setanta owns the full rights and has a full live broadcasting schedule for the full Rugby World Cup planned.. believe it starts September.

Here's Setanta's schedule.. it currently is only showing the live games (nevermind the many that are same day Delay, full schedule should be up soon.) http://130.94.23.190/SSCDN_live_schedule.htm

the channel though i thought to be too expensive has earned a subscription fee from me because of the shear number of soccer/footie ;) and rugby games on the channel is fantastic.  I'll consider it some needed self pampering

Apparently Sportsnet are showing the Canada matches, live and again later in the day, at least.  Sorry, don't have a link, but it seems to be genuine.

I've just discovered my free Setanta preview on Ch. 239 ... man, watched way too much soccer this weekend.  Looks like how Fox used to be, though, with mostly soccer and token rugby matches.  I shouldn't complain, though.  Maybe things will pick up when the UK season starts?  Too bad we can't get things like Sky's 'Rugby Channel' from New Zealand.  :)

Usual caveats: http://www.sportsnet.ca/pressroom/release.jsp?news=20070809_145028_5692

Press Releases - sportsnet.ca
Click here for more information on all the music used on Sportsnet Connected.
ROGERS KICKS OFF NEW ERA WITH SETANTA SPORTS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Aug 02, 2007

TORONTO (August 2, 2007) – Rogers Broadcasting & Setanta Sports announced today a licensing arrangement through which they will jointly offer Canadian broadcasting distributors a pay-per-view (PPV) sports package dedicated to bringing the best international sporting events to Canadian fans, including live coverage of exclusive English Premier League games as well as Rugby World Cup 2007. Rogers Cable and Bell ExpressVu are expected to offer the package with an initial free preview period.

Beginning August 11, the Setanta International Sports Pak will be a must have for soccer fans, with six out of ten LIVE weekly broadcasts of the world's most watched sporting league, Barclays English Premier League (EPL). A further two games will be shown on a delayed basis. The August schedule for the PPV package includes Sam Allardyce’s return to Bolton on the first day of the season, Sven Goran Ericsson’s first Manchester Derby on the 19th and Roy Keane’s first test against one of the big four – Liverpool, on the 25th.

Rugby fans will get into the action as well. The Setanta International Sports Pak will feature the Rugby World Cup 2007 and the best international and club rugby including Guinness Premiership, Super 14, RBS Six Nations and the Heineken European Cup.

"We know first-hand from our weekly matches on Rogers Sportsnet that Canadian fans are passionate about English Premier League as well as other international sports," said Tony Viner, President & CEO, Rogers Media. "Our partnership with Setanta, one of the leading sports broadcasters in the international market, will give Canadians the most access to the best European and international soccer and rugby leagues."

"We are committed to providing Canadian audiences with the highest quality international soccer and rugby programming and this new partnership with Rogers Broadcasting ensures sports fans won’t miss a minute of Europe and the World’s best," said Roger Hall, chief executive, Setanta Sports North America. "We are delighted that Rogers Broadcasting are our partners in Canada where they have unrivaled experience of providing great sports television to Canada."

The Setanta International Sports Pak will be available on PPV beginning August 11 with the season’s first live EPL match between Sunderland vs. Tottenham Hotspur at 7:45am ET. Soccer and rugby fans can contact their local provider for more details on pricing and availability of the PPV package in their market.

Rogers Broadcasting and Setanta Sports also hope to establish a digital channel dedicated to soccer and rugby in the future.

It would appear that schedule above confirms the rumour I heard about some of the weekend games not being shown live with the priority going to EPL soccer?  :(

RWC warm up England V France was on at 12:30 Alberta time on Sat.  About a 2 hour delay, I think.  Was nice to see some rugby on the telly again, even if we did lose.  England looked strong, but nothing dazzling from them, nice to see Dalaglio back in for another kick at the cat.

Back