• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The movie called Shooter

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Hey who's that guy who the Mods were upset with the other day who was on here wanting to be a sniper?? Maybe he watched this film and got all inspired eh?? ::)

Which one? We get about 2-3 nintendo snipers a week on here on average  ::)

the 48th regulator said:
Reminded me of my younger days.
dreamy.gif

Funny I never new you were a disgruntled and clumsy FBI agent back then.  8)

ProPatria031 said:
. it will never beat 300 thought. it's the ultimate dude flick.

Well maybe in some neighbourhoods there sailor.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2t58CRmbU

I read the book probably about two years ago... then watched the movie when it came out. There were a lot of differences between the book and movie (as is the case everytime) but even just from the previews they showed on TV I knew it was based on the book (the book was of a different title).

I liked the movie, but it is for pretend. What I found really valuable was the special feature documentary on Carlos Hathcock, first class!  

Book was Stephen Hunter's Point of Impact -- good book -- movie was ass.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Hey who's that guy who the Mods were upset with the other day who was on here wanting to be a sniper?? Maybe he watched this film and got all inspired eh?? ::)

I'm Sure you're thinking of "paradice" (spelling?) I know exactly who you ae thinking of! ;D

IN HOC SIGNO said:

Some do live vicariously through other means, and can't separate fiction and non-fiction.  :-\

Mike Baker said:
I liked the movie, but, its only a movie  ;)

Ok you're the one that makes me nervous, when you say things like that. I know you are home pretending it is really you in that movie.   ;D

At least the ones that are out there saying they are I can sneak quietly away from
;)
emma

Freight said:
Loved this line - "I don't think you understand - these people killed my dog."
I liked "Welcome to Wyoming, the Patron State of Shooting Things"

simysmom99 said:
.....some top notch eye candy... but hey, is that why I watch Mark Wahlberg?  Nope.
Sorry, but that's a typo; the eye candy was clearly divided between Kate Mara (great freckles) and Rhona Mitra (awesome cheekbones)

Flip said:
Never mind the unlikelyness of a hit - Could a .22 be lethal at 200 yards!?!
I've only shot at gophers and, seldom further out than about 50 yards.

Yes its leathal, and 200 m by a trained shot is likely for sure. Using .22LR HV ammo that is.

Don't under estimate a .22 for a second.

I have not seen this movie, but a movie is a movie, designed to entertain us.

Wes

When the guy in the movie said that they were shot by a .22 I just assumed it was a .22 Mag and let it be.

BTW Hot Springs was an awesome read and would make a wicked Walking Tall type of movie.

Thanks Wes!

I think you're the only one to acknowledge the question.

I used to experiment with some of the HV types of ammunition
with my Ruger 10-22.  Wayyyyy more noise than conventional
.22 LR.  Goes through much thicker trees too. Great metrics eh?

I've also read the .22 is the professional assassin's' cartridge of choice.

Personally, I haven't picked up a firearm except to clean it in a decade
or so... :(

It's a fun movie - I even watched it twice.  I never do that.

Wonderbread said:
Man, the movie version had so many holes!

I'm not usually one of those army dinks who loves to armchair action flicks and exclaim "Thats totally unrealistic!!" (usually to try and impress high school girls), but with Shooter I'll have to make an exception.

I have a hard time believing the book is any better... unless the entire plot was changed.

:-[ thats what i do when i go to the movies, to this movie in fact at the .22 scene rofl

My understanding is the IDF snipers uses the 10/22 for "less than seriously lethal" shots. Sort of a inbetween response from the rubber bullet and the 7.62mmx51

Mallard said:
:-[ thats what i do when i go to the movies, to this movie in fact at the .22 scene rofl

Right. And in your no-more than 1-2 years with a Reserve unit, how often have you studied ballisitics, specifically reference .22 caliber weapons, much less fired them?

Thanks for the laugh.

My understanding is the IDF snipers uses the 10/22 for "less than seriously lethal" shots.

Well, I'll be jiggered! :eek:

That's my gopher gun!
Figures - The guy who recommended it was ex-mil ex-UN. ;D

Great little gun.

P.S. to add, I wouldn't shoot it standing in a row boat in the middle of a pond at night though.... ;)

Flip said:
P.S. to add, I wouldn't shoot it standing in a row boat in the middle of a pond at night though.... ;)

with a pop bottle suppressor in worthless iron sights, into a dark boathouse

Its not fucking plausible at all

As Wes stated under ideal conditions it is possible, but given the fact people tend not always to like to die sometimes it take a LOT of holes in them (even the head occasionally) to kill them...

The thread would be more interesting if most had read Stephen Hunter's excellent book.  The movie bears next to no resemblance to the a written work that started a good series.  It is kind of funny, as the book is well enough researched to actually discredit many scenes in the movie, including some of the points raised here.

Steve

...  It is kind of funny, as the book is well enough researched to actually discredit many scenes in the movie, including some of the points raised here.

Not surprising as mind the author Stephen Hunter is as much a gun nut as Wes and I6 are. Yeah he'd fit in well here.

Back