• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Matt Stopford Saga

• Thread starter Thread starter armdfist
  • Start date Start date
A

armdfist

Being new, I do not know if this subject has been discussed, but if it hasn‘t then it should.

The idea of Canadian soldiers poisoning a senior NCO is very disturbing to me. Now the CDS has ordered that the findings by the NIS, to see if something more than facing a career board can be done.

Not only the fact (I say this knowing that nothing has been proven) that WO Stopfords‘ coffee was poisoned, but that no one has come forward is also disturbing. Putting aside petty ideas like "buddy f#*king" this is a very serious matter. Someone had to have seen WO Stopford drink the "allegedly" poisoned coffee. That someone should come forward.

From all accounts that I have heard, WO Stopford was a very effective Sr NCO. He also preformed brilliantly at Midac. Now as some of us know, Sr NCO‘s on operations (especially the Balkans) play a very integral role in a soldiers life (as per usual, however more so due to the fact that you are in a hostile environment). For some of his soldiers to attempt to "slow him down" is really counter-productive to the task at hand.

I hope more will come of this, and that whoever (if anyone) is responsible be taken to task.

This topic/discussion began on the "old War Diary", and now is being brought forward ...

I echo the sentiment - there is nothing worse than a "buddy-f***er".

Also, I‘m no lawyer, and my skin crawls when people start hiding behind "statutes of limitations" ...

Some of you will probably think I‘m warped (I‘ve spent many years in Recruiting ...), but when problems in the military come to the fore, I often wonder whether we‘ve been selective enough in our recruiting, as well as choosing and promoting our leaders ... (some food for thought):

I beseech you to be careful what captains of Horse you choose, what men be mounted: a few honest men are better than numbers ... If you choose honest godly men to be captains of Horse, honest men will follow them ... I had rather have a plain russet-coated captain that knows what he fights for, and loves what he knows, than that which you call a gentleman and is nothing else.

Oliver Cromwell: Letter to Sir William Springe, September 1643

Dileas Gu Brath
Mark Bossi, Esquire

January 27, 2001

Former soldier sues Ottawa for $7.5-million
Compensation for Croatia: Claims superiors knew of his injuries but failed to act

James Cudmore
National Post

Tom Hanson, The Canadian Press

Matt Stopford says the military did not look out for him.

Matt Stopford, the retired warrant officer allegedly poisoned by his own troops, has launched a $7.5-million civil suit against the Department of National Defence, claiming it was negligent, incompetent and in breach of its statutory duty.

In a statement of claim filed with the Federal Court in Ottawa yesterday, Mr. Stopford alleged that while peacekeeping in Croatia in 1993, the Canadian Forces was aware of a bizarre plot by as many as six soldiers to poison him with eye drops, naphtha and engine coolant, and failed to prevent it.

The statement points to a military investigation that concluded earlier this month that the poisoning had taken place and that "the medical and tactical chain of command were aware at the time ... and that the plaintiff was not informed."

Mr. Stopford also alleged that following his return to Canada and the onset of a number of peculiar illnesses that eventually left him blind in one eye, depressed, suffering from sore joints and bones and an intestinal disorder, the Canadian Forces failed to adequately care for him.

"The defendant, her employees, servants and agents knew, or ought to have known, that the physical symptoms the plaintiff complained of following his return from Croatia were related to his experiences [there]," the statement of claim reads.

According to the court documents, Mr. Stopford was released from the military due to his ill health but was refused a disability pension, "because of insufficient medical evidence that his condition was caused by service in [Croatia]."

Central to the claim are allegations put forward by Mr. Stopford that while serving overseas, he and other soldiers were forced to work in an environment with a "pace and intensity unknown to Canadian soldiers since the Korean War."

"They were frequently caught in the crossfire between the warring Croats and Serbs. Sometimes they themselves became targets," the court documents state.

Mr. Stopford also alleged that the area in which Canadians were forced to work was poisoned with environmental contaminants and littered with human and animal remains.

"Animal remains had to be burned to prevent disease from spreading and human remains had to be gathered for burial trucks," according to the claim.

"There was no clean water available to the plaintiff to clean himself after performing these duties."

News of the legal action followed the release nearly two weeks ago of the final report in a series of almost a dozen separate military investigations into the Croatian deployment.

The controversy first erupted in July, 1999, when Mr. Stopford, who was decorated for his bravery in Croatia, held a news conference decrying the Canadian Forces laissez-faire attitude toward the complaints of as many as 383 sick veterans of peacekeeping in Croatia.

Days later, Brigadier-General Patricia Samson, then the Canadian Forces Provost Marshal, announced that military police officers were investigating allegations that Mr. Stopford had been poisoned by his own troops.

Mr. Stopford denied the allegations and maintained the Canadian Forces had purposefully set out to embarrass him in response to his outspoken criticism.

But the decorated soldier changed his tune earlier this month when a Military Police Complaints Commission report declared that there was sufficient evidence to suggest that Mr. Stopford had, in fact, been poisoned.

"I have to believe it, all of those investigations and inquiries, I have no other choice," he said in an interview. "The only option I have left is to take them to court."

Contacted in Ottawa, Captain Dale MacEachearn, a military spokesman, said the defence department had yet to receive the statement of claim.

"When we do we‘re going to send it to our legal services for analysis and action," he said.

But yesterday Mr. Stopford said the case was cut and dried and that the statement of claim was based entirely on military records, reports and documents.

-the patriot-

Minister does right thing

Stops DND appeal of sick soldier‘s lawsuit

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2003/10/29/240167.html

By PETER WORTHINGTON

Defence Minister John McCallum has personally entered the case of retired Warrant Officer Matt Stopford and sided with the severely sick and injured soldier. I last wrote about Stopford‘s case on Oct. 18, after Superior Court Judge Fred Gibson ruled that his $7.5-million suit against the government should proceed -- yet Department of National Defence lawyers filed notice of appeal, a process that could take years.

Stopford believed -- and the facts lent credibility -- that DND was hoping he would die before a trial, thus letting DND off the hook.

In a hand-delivered letter to Stopford in Peterborough from Mr. McCallum on Monday, the minister said DND had "agreed to withdraw its appeal of the judgment."

Furthermore, Stopford would be sent to the Mayo Clinic for testing at government expense.

McCallum added: "I wish to reiterate that your service to your country is very much appreciated."

It seems a total reversal of policy towards Stopford, who was told in 1999 that his own troops in Croatia six years earlier, in 1993, were trying to poison him because he was too gung-ho.

By that time, Stopford was blind in one eye and wracked with mysterious ailments that included acute intestinal pain, swollen joints, bleeding from orifices, teeth breaking and falling out.

He was on 100% disability pension.

Stopford believes contaminated soil in Croatia contributed to his and ailments of others in his regiment, the Princess Pats.

"I‘m surprised and extremely grateful to Mr. McCallum," says Stopford. "Finally a minister who does the right thing and shows leadership that could be a lesson for others in Ottawa."

Stopford had written to McCallum about his case, as well as to the PM, Paul Martin and Veterans Affairs Minister Dr. Rey Pagtakhan, who supports Stopford going to the Mayo Clinic.

McCallum‘s letter noted that Stopford‘s MP, Peter Adams, also brought the case to his attention.

I‘d written that judging from past actions, I felt McCallum didn‘t know details of Stopford‘s case, else he‘d have ordered the case be settled.

Earlier this year, McCallum ordered lump-sum payments should go retroactively to soldiers who were blinded or lost a limb. Previously, the army‘s mandatory insurance plan refused such payments.

In a letter thanking McCallum for support, Stopford recalled: "During my service I was taught many things about leadership and leading men in combat. All I know is that they all came back alive and that is the most any commander can hope for."

Stopford was decorated for leadership under fire in the Medak Pocket fight.

Stopford added: "I know you have never been a soldier but you, sir, can definitely march down to NDHQ and give every general a lesson in leadership."

McCallum‘s letter was copied to the PM, Dr. Pagtakhan, Paul Martin and Peter Adams. It would seem a decision has been made to settle this case and close it.

It‘s now probable that DND lawyers will confer with Stopford‘s pro bono lawyers, James Cameron and Paul Champ of the Ottawa firm of Raven, Allen, Cameron and Ballantyne to settle this suit.

Stopford was especially incensed that in trying to prevent him from suing for negligence, DND lawyers argued the Crown has no legal duty to look after soldiers injured in service to their country.

In his letter to Chretien, Stopford asked rhetorically: "Mr. Prime Minister, are you going to tell our brave soldiers in Afghanistan and Bosnia that they don‘t have a contract with the federal government? That is exactly what your lawyers argue in court."

It would seem that John McCallum, who may get confused between Vimy Ridge and Vichy France, has no difficulty in distinguishing right from wrong.

He is to be congratulated.

All I can add is it‘s about time.

Now this,    http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Toronto/Peter_Worthington/2004/07/15/543069.html

See his next article, on his vote for Defense Minister:  McCallum.

My opinion:  McCallum is a Liberal bureaucrat who really doesn't understand the military.  He would not stand up to the government on a matter of military principle, BUT:

He is dilligent, believes in doing the right thing and honestly tries to do his best on the job.  For example, he didn't know his history all that well, but made a concerted effort to learn.  He told the military to stop bugging this veteran, when it was obvious that needed to be done.  He wasn't allowed to make any changes that mattered, cuz that would involve money, but he tried to administrate correctly.

I think, in a minority government situation, with the Conservatives nagging them to make the right policy decisions, that McCallum could be counted on to carry them out once Martin and the boys are shamed/coerced into it.

We'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what Worthington thinks.

Troops don't poison their WO's for no reason even if they are gung ho.   Tends to be stupidity.   One of the guys on the first Roto's to Afganistan had a list.

Do we (the public) know anything about the privates and corporals that served under this WO?  Were they good troops, or bad apples?  Poisoning someone isn't something I would expect just anybody to enter into lightly.

For me somthing is very wrong here in the sense that WHY won't they just pay and get it over with? They throw around money at a lot of stupid things that outrage us, why not pay here on something that I'm sure most Canadians would agree with?  Well lets see,
1. not isolated incident and don't want to open that can of worms?
2. involves a "name" or fast-tracker and must be hushed
3. believe all the evidence is wrong :-X
It must be something besides just being vindictive.

Why will the military pay for some wog to get a sex change operation and yet refuse to send a decorated NCO to get treatment for a serious ailment.   This defies all logic, and I am sure when presented to many senior brass, they would agree as well.   I think this a perfect example of how bureaucratic management, as opposed to genuine leadership, is wracking the Forces in a way that lets everybody direct blame to somewhere else when the problem is right infront of us (bloated NDHQ with shaky and muddled command liines dominated by self-serving careerists in suits and uniforms).

You said WOG.  Ohhhhhhh.  :)

I think they reversed their decision on the sex change thing.

this is sad. buddy gave many years of his life in service to his country that he loves so dearly and now he is being jerked around because he suffers from being poisoned by the men he led?

why is the government prolonging his suffering? poisoning by his fellow soldiers or poisoning by the surrounding environment, the bottom line is that he was poisoned in a combat zone and the government should be him as comfortable as possible in this last years of his life. 

Infanteer said:
Why will the military pay for some wog to get a sex change operation and yet refuse to send a decorated NCO to get treatment for a serious ailment.   This defies all logic, and I am sure when presented to many senior brass, they would agree as well.   I think this a perfect example of how bureaucratic management, as opposed to genuine leadership, is wracking the Forces in a way that lets everybody direct blame to somewhere else when the problem is right infront of us (bloated NDHQ with shaky and muddled command liines dominated by self-serving careerists in suits and uniforms).

I could not agree more!!!!!!

All that I can add is that I think it is f***ing A-well about time.

CFL said:
You said WOG.    Ohhhhhhh.   :)

I think they reversed their decision on the sex change thing.

ive herd theres another dude going for a sex change

Perhaps that by paying whatever amount is required would be the same as an admission to guilt and culpability. If they were to admit to guilt this would never end. Things like honour, ethics, dignity are so much to us but to these bureaucrats (civvies in uniforms) they are just words to throw around and the profession of arms is but a dusty memory from staff college to most of them.

I've been bitter to some clowns who were put in a positon of leadership over me while overseas but I just sucked it up. I wonder what kinda of slackers would poison someone who they did not feel meet their idea of a leader. And what about his mess mates? Do they share any of the blame if they knew about it? Soldiers who take things into their hands in this way are nothing but a bunch of punk cowards who should not be wearing the same uniform as me.

As much as McCallum seemed to not fit the role of Min of Def he did much more for the line doggie than many before him and seemed to take what the NDHQ spin doctors said with a grain of salt. He preferred to look into things for himself. I'd rather have him back here but maybe he rocked the boat too much.

Slainte,

None of us were there so we can't really asertain as to why they did what they did.   However serving the time I have, troops don't take that kind of thing lightly and suck it for a long time before acting.   If your WO is a fuck up doing things that are needlessly unsafe and your OC and CO are not going to do anything about it you are limited to what you can do.  they could have rolled a confiscated grenade into his bunk.

From today's Sun ... and the heartache and BS just goes on... it is time for this to stop:

Wed, August 11, 2004

'Disgusting' offer from defence dept.

By PETER WORTHINGTON

Remember Matt Stopford -- the Princess Pat's warrant officer who was being poisoned by his own troops in Croatia in 1993 and is now blind in one eye and wracked with crippling internal injuries?

When he was defence minister, John McCallum intervened and sent Stopford to the Mayo Clinic for analysis and treatment, and ordered department of national defence lawyers to settle the case to avoid Stopford's legal case.

The June 28 election changed everything. McCallum went to revenue, Bill Graham took over defence, and the shafting of Stopford began again. Frustrated, Stopford has written to Prime Minister Paul Martin, blaming the Liberal government.

Here, slightly edited, is some of what he wrote to Martin: "Sir, it is with a heavy heart and total disgust in your government that I am forced yet again to correspond to seek action to settle this on-going travesty of justice.

"I believe you have been fully briefed on my predicament and are well aware of proceedings that took place before the general election.

"Sir, upon my return from the Mayo Clinic late last year, members of the Liberal party, and members of the Canadian defence department and serving members of the forces have approached me to express disgust and horror at the poisoning and threats to my life by certain members of the forces during my peacekeeping tour in Yugoslavia in 1993.

"They said they were disgusted by not only what had happened but also at the way the government had dealt with this matter, until you took over the reigns of power last year. Like a fool, I again believed them and thought this whole matter would soon be rectified, and whatever life I have left could go on quietly and peacefully.

"I was told the Liberal government and the defence department were well aware of the tragic and disgusting way this gruesome episode was dealt with by those in power. It was suggested that the matter would be dealt with in a positive way as soon as the general election was over, and that I should remain quiet during the campaign. Mediation would proceed immediately after the election -- set for the 29th of June, 2004, in Ottawa.

"Like an ignoramus, honourable sir, I believed in your government and proceeded to mediation. To say I was outraged, disgusted, and destroyed by that meeting would be an understatement. What transpired that day by your justice department under direction from the department of national defence broke all bounds of humanity and what is considered just and moral in Canadian society.

"So shocked and frustrated was I at your government's lack of concern, that I required medical intervention from my team of doctors.

"Mr. Prime Minister, to find out exactly what happened in Ottawa that day you just have to read the mediation brief of the defendant (Crown). Despite the claim of DND, I am in no way better off now then when I was when serving in the military.

"I was forced to sign a non-disclosure form and have since been threatened with legal action and possibly jail if I break that agreement. I assume, as prime minister, you can find out what happened and your government's disgusting offer on June 29.

"Like a fool, sir, I allowed myself to get bitten yet again by your Liberal government when I should have been shouting at the top of my lungs during your election campaign, as my supporters asked me to do. Instead I remained silent believing the Liberals under your direction would seek justice for me, not betrayal. How wrong I was.

"On July 20-22, I went to Hamilton for disclosure to the Crown -- again to be treated as the criminal not the victim.

"Rest assured, the hearing was negative and damning for the Crown's case -- discredited with evidence from government sources and DND from the top to bottom.

"I was hoping to avoid a trial and save embarrassment for the government and the military, but I see this is a fruitless endeavour.

"I am well aware what a trial will do to my health, but despite warnings from my medical team I must proceed for my sake as well as for those who are still serving in Canada's military.

"My only choice left is to proceed with the trial and allow the country to learn the truth of this matter. I regret the mess this will cause to my regiment and to the military as well as to Canada, but I no longer see any alternative.

"On a different note, we can now prove the soldiers were trying to kill me. I did indeed ingest those poisons. This can be proven through various government inquiries and military police reports as well as medical reports from the Mayo Clinic, where the consulting physician stated had I come to the Mayo in 1993-94, 'we could have fixed it.'

"I will be approaching the opposition parties to pass on all materials. Not only about the attempts on my life but materials on the hundreds of sick soldiers who have been tossed out of the military over the past decade. Unfortunately, this is the only way for me to seek justice for myself and other soldiers who gave so much for their country only to be betrayed."

None of the following is to be taken as legal advice:
In my opinion, here is what I think is going on [and I am coming at this by way of professional experience] .... the good WO's claim is worth about 7.5 million plus punitive damages and costs, which will be significant in this case ... probably about 10 million. If he dies before trial, all his estate gets is Famliy Law Act damages ... about 300 thousand plus change and costs. I have has the disturbing experience of dealing professionally with several people who currently serve with the DOJ, and unfortunately for Mr.Stopford, his sacrifices as a soldier for his family and country probably count for squat with those people, and in any event such sacrifices are unlikely to be grounded as any sort of aggravating circumstances in his favour. Remember, civilian managers regularly suffer injury from their employees, and when they sue in damages, they are compensated for the harm suffered, not for the fact they were loyal to the company. [yes, i know it seems a weak analogy, but that is the sorry state of the law right now.]

"Bye the bye", I am somewhat troubled by the portions of the article suggesting election considerations influenced this case. If those allegations can be substantiated, a separate cause of action has arisen, not to mention the potential criminal charges that ought to be laid.  In short, justice will have failed Mr. Stopford,[and it may have  seriously done so already without that little bit of connivance], and it only goes to further illustrate the class bias built into the justice system. This would not have happened, in my personal opinion, if Mr. Stopford was an Admiral or a General,  or for that matter a DOJ lawyer.   

I am unable to express my feelings on this subject without expletives....

:rage:   :rage:   :rage:   :rage:   :rage:   :rage:   :rage:   :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:   :rage:   :rage:   :rage:   :rage:

An ex-soldier's frustration
Sun, February 6, 2005

CANADIAN ALLEGEDLY POISONED BY TROOPS TO TAKE CASE TO UN COURT, PETER WORTHINGTON SAYS

By PETER WORTHINGTON, TORONTO SUN

FRUSTRATED, ANGRY and feeling betrayed, retired Warrant Officer Matt Stopford is trying to take his case against the Canadian army before the International War Crimes Court at the Hague. He feels that a war crime was in the making when his soldiers in Croatia were trying to poison him, plotting to kill superior officers and had dug symbolic graves for them.

Stopford was first told in 1999 that his troops in Croatia had been trying to poison him in 1993, yet the Canadian army did nothing to warn him earlier. The army still does not acknowledge error.

Stopford's is an act of frustration. His $7.5-million suit against the army is scheduled to be heard this year. He says offers to settle out of court have been more insulting than sincere.

He can't believe the government will put the army through what promises to be a nightmare trial -- the chain of command refusing to tell a non-commissioned officer his men were poisoning him because he was too gung-ho.

In 1999 the provost marshal informed Stopford by letter that his troops were lacing his coffee with bootblack, naphtha gas and battery acid.

An investigation led by then RCMP Insp. Russ Grabb (now superintendent) showed soldiers talked of planting a landmine in front of the major's tent, and that foreign ammunition was acquired to kill superiors in a future firefight.

The Grabb investigation found that some 30 individuals in the chain of command knew of the poisoning but never told Stopford.

Prime Minister Paul Martin and Defence Minister Bill Graham have ignored his e-mail queries, Stopford says.

When he was finally sent to the Mayo clinic in Minnesota for analysis, he was beyond treatment and is now blind in one eye, his internal organs are a mess, the pain in his joints is excruciating, he suffers from internal bleeding, and his life expectancy is poor.

Stopford and others feel toxic soil in Croatia contributed to the illnesses many veterans of that mission endure today. The military blames post-traumatic stress disorder -- a catch-all excuse.

DND has screwed up Stopford's case. He was even denied a full disability pension until the media got involved. DND also sought to prevent his lawsuit.

Stopford says sworn testimony to the effect that reserve troops were plotting to kill him, the company commander and sergeant major should constitute "mutiny and treason, and a war crime."

He'd likely settle his suit for $2 million but says he hasn't been offered enough to even cover expenses.

Ironically, the Princess Pats have been honoured for their steadiness during the Medak Pocket fight, in which Stopford's leadership got all his men out safely and earned him a decoration.

MOSTLY RESERVISTS

Stopford doesn't blame "regular" soldiers of the Pats, but partially trained reservists. He says 31 of 36 men under his command were from the reserves.

If his case goes to trial, the damage to the army is incalculable. Here, slightly condensed, is part of what Stopford e-mailed to the PM and defence minister:

"This is mutiny and treason, not to mention cowardliness in the face of the enemy ... these soldiers, every 10 days or so, met to discuss how what they were giving me was affecting my health and watching me puke behind the command post ... perhaps they should triple the dose.

"They even asked the company medic what would kill me. They dug graves for each of us and kept foreign weapons and ammunition to use in my back if given an opportunity, as well as using anti-tank and anti-personnel mines. This is attempted murder and assault ... You have said that due to the passage of time you cannot charge these cowards with any crime.

"Indeed, while I suffer, some of these men are now in the regular force and have even been promoted, while you fight me every step of the way to not be held accountable for your actions.

"Due to my health ... I am forced to approach the World Court at the Hague to try to find justice, as this attack on myself happened in a war zone during an operation of the United Nations. I guess I'll see you in court in the fall and take care of the forces' discipline myself."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2005/02/06/922228-sun.html

Back