• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Latest (disgusting) "News" Article by Eric Margolis- 10 Feb/ 2008

JackD

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi-ho. I'm accustomed to reading the news as much as i can through the internet as i have an interest in journalism (and no money). Unfortunately there seems to be  much of which masquerades as journalism which is not. Witness this article: http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Margolis_Eric/2008/02/10/pf-4838323.html . May i ask what you all think of it? May we use this thread as a place to collect and comment on articles like this? I will refrain from saying anything though about this one. There is however, a set of words I'd like to use.

From what I recall, Eric Margolis is not a journalist, but is usually referred to as a "military analyst".  This is an op-ed piece where he gets to spout off his opinion.  I've seen him on TV on heard him on the radio.  He is very arrogant and refuses to debate with anyone who is quicker on his feet than he.  I used to think he was very left wing, but I have since read that he is more of a "paleo-conservative", who tend to view the Muslim world more favourably, view Zionism with suspicion, and abhor "neo-conservatives".  Hence his hatred of Dubya, Israel and the war in Afghanistan.

But I do agree with you, in that journalists in Canada tend to be lazy and biased.  They are used to being fed inside stories by Liberal government insiders.  Now that the information tap is turned off, they have to conduct their trade the old fashioned way, hence their subtle war on the PM.

Biased news sells.
No one wants to print an article "well, were doing alright in A-Stan, there are good and bad things"
Thats what we call fair and balanced, it doesnt sell
You either need a "this is the right mission" or "this is the wrong mission"
The media doesnt wanna debate an issue like this, they want different people giving onesides views.

JackD

I have enjoyed hating Eric Margolis' work for a long time.
Yes, arrogant and smarmy. He refuses to accept the facts
in his quest to damage NATO efforts.  Yet, he's just
intelligent enought to be dangerous.

Do what I do - write some short rebuttal and send it to the editor
of the newpaper of your choice.  They've never printed mine
but I feel like I'm doing something.  ;D 

yes the term was once 'yellow journalism' - but i truly scent political connection with articles such as this. I wonder what is taught in schools of journalism in Canada - ethos, research? propaganda?

sending rebuttals.. I've been doing that for some 30 years - not one being printed - not even on webthreads... that makes you think... Hell i never even got my letters printed in the 'Ask Andy' column in the Montreal Star...

I wonder what is taught in schools of journalism in Canada - ethos, research? propaganda?

In Margolis case it's more a matter of self promotion.  People who think he does will
buy the paper he's printed in - and his books.  He's really preaching to his own choir.
The sad bit is that the naive and uninformed will be swayed by his self serving antics.
As such ( I don't think ) that this can be confused with journalism.

Journalists ( I suppose ) are influenced by the way their profs and their peers think.
The course itself may not be to blame but the "doctrine" of the professional body.
Beliefs and impressions from the old guys in any profession are passed down
,either deliberately or not, why should journalism be different?
I also think there is a liberal self selection process in journalism.
The same way some professions can attract more conservative applicants.

So, Margolis is a product of his environment.  Time to weed the tomatoe patch.  >:D 

One might try to approach the problem of getting printed with
a less direct and more liberal friendly tack.

ie. I just read Eric Margolis' column and I'm still laughing right out load.
He sure "informs" us with innuendo and dark smear.  It's best satire
I've ever read...Bravo Eric! 

Just a reminder that we have a policy against ad hominem on this site.  While some messengers may deserve the cruelties that we'd like to write of them, to do so would make us no better & (worse) could expose this site to attack by legal teams of those who feel their name has been tarnished.  So remember, attack the message.

Cheers,
the staff

Thanks MCG!

Seems you caught me backing toward the edge there........

While there are a few silly comments mixed in the article, most of it isn't too far off the mark in my opinion. His historical and current facts are correct, so I'm not sure what is "disgusting" about it.

The issue I have with his opinions are, that he makes assertions and conclusions
that are not supported by evidence, and He appears (to me) to be driven by an ideology
I can't agree with.

For example;
When the Soviets occupied Afghanistan, they deployed 160,000 troops and about 200,000 Afghan Communist troops -- yet failed to crush the mostly Pashtun resistance. Now, the U.S. and NATO are trying the same mission with only 66,000 troops, backed by local mercenaries grandly styled the Afghan National Army.

The SAME mission? 

and;
What angry Sec. Gates fails to see is that by pushing NATO into a distant Asian war without political purpose or seeming end, he is endangering the very alliance that is the bedrock of U.S. power in Europe.

Without political purpose?

Dean Thompson said:
While there are a few silly comments mixed in the article, most of it isn't too far off the mark in my opinion. His historical and current facts are correct, so I'm not sure what is "disgusting" about it.

I would agree.  Margolis irritates me in general, but this particular article lays out its argument in a pretty straightforward and cohesive manner.
I think calling it "disgusting" is extreme.

I agree, there is much in that article that is fact and while it may not be the same war as the Russians fought, there are lessons to be learned there. Russia was there a lot longer, with a whole lot more military and were defeated.

The Toronto Sun has always been primarily tabloid journalism but so are all the rest of the Sun paper chains across Canada. When a pop singer, having adult adjustment disorder, is the big front page story in a newspaper you know tabloid rules. Unfortunately this type of journalism has spilled into the once legitimate newspapers and even on the television news. The big reason is trash journalism sells papers and attracts corporations selling products through adverstisements in these papers.

There is some truth to what Eric Margolis says:

-  If NATO sanctions a military action then all the countries in the alliance must contribute.

-  Europe doesn't have to worry about Russia anymore. So what if Russia is becoming a superpower again? So what if Russia supplies a great deal of oil to Europe? So what if Russia is reinforcing it's borders and possibly even aiming missiles at Europe? 

-  Maybe Canada should conscript to fill positions in Afghanistan? I'd like to thank Mr. Margolis for volunteering his name for the top of the list for conscription!

Oh, just looked online, the front page stories in the Toronto Sun today: Ontario Lottery and Gaming new lottery rules and; Mats Sundin and the Leafs practiced outdoors.

Wow, these are truly important front page news stories! ::)

My 2 cents!

Attacking the messenger is doing nothing for advancing our further understanding of the mission challenges and strategy going ahead.
Much of what Margolis says touches on the major issues we as part of ISAF must face. I am getting increasingly nauseous with the irrational stance of Dion and the Liberals. Unfortunately Parliament has been unable to come together, study the Manley report and arrive at a nonpartisan way forward for our troops.

Did anyone happen to see Lew MacKenzie on CTV last night? His comments and opinion of Eric were priceless. I don't think Eric is on Lews Christmas card list.

The main gist of Lews opening comment were that he was glad that Eric was never in his chain of command because he was a disgrace to his uniform.(For those who don't know Eric was in the US army during VietNam but never actually served in VietNam. Something he always fails to add when discussing his "service")

In a battle of wits between Eric and Lew, Eric is outgunned and out of ammo. ;D

How does one get to be a "military analyst"? What qualifications do you need to get a job like that? Does it pay well?

I saw Scott Taylor on TV last night. Hmmmm if he can be a "military anlayst" maybe I can too?

OldSolduer said:
How does one get to be a "military analyst"? What qualifications do you need to get a job like that? Does it pay well?

I saw Scott Taylor on TV last night. Hmmmm if he can be a "military anlayst" maybe I can too?

"What qualifications do you need to get a job like that?"

Apparently a little more than Scott Taylor.  ;)

http://www.ericmargolis.com/biography.php

2 Cdo said:
Did anyone happen to see Lew MacKenzie on CTV last night? His comments and opinion of Eric were priceless. I don't think Eric is on Lews Christmas card list.

The main gist of Lews opening comment were that he was glad that Eric was never in his chain of command because he was a disgrace to his uniform.(For those who don't know Eric was in the US army during VietNam but never actually served in VietNam. Something he always fails to add when discussing his "service")

In a battle of wits between Eric and Lew, Eric is outgunned and out of ammo. ;D

Here is a link to that bradcast;

http://esi.ctv.ca/datafeed/urlgen2.aspx?vid=31349

Good on ya Lew,

I have always respected that man, and it is a shame he is not an elected memeber Parliament!

dileas

tess

Back