• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Gigantic Camel Spider ?

A mate of mine lived in Kenya for a few years when he was younger.  He got bitten by some nasty spider and nearly died.  Apparantly he was in a fever for days and was in hospital for a long time.  He showed me the scar on his leg, his scar was literally the size of a loonie and it was not the prettiest looking thing.  He told me how after he got bitten you could see where the poison spread through the veins in his leg from the bite mark because they swelled up on the surface of the skin.  Scary!

Here is the male Sydney Funnel Web Spider in a specimen jar which I have in my garage, and show friends when they come out from Canada.

The fangs on this creature are so tough, they can penetrate a child's finger nail.

Yeah I dunno which is worse a camel spider or a giant centipede.

We used to have fun in Haiti with the tarantulas - some got pretty big, but contrary to popular belidef, are genrally harmless to healthy humans.  Though I was a little disturbed on morning when I went to shake out my sandals one morning to find a black widow setting up shop in one of them...

MM

I remember unloading an Aussie herc in Cold Lake. We were pushing this pallete and the biggest spider I had ever seen crawled across the net by one of the guys heads. You would jhhave thought the plane was about to explode by the way we ( canadians) scrambelled out of that thing.

I remember unloading an Aussie herc in Cold Lake. We were pushing this pallet and the biggest spider I had ever seen crawled across the net by one of the guys heads. You would have thought the plane was about to explode by the way we ( Canadians) scrambelled out of that thing.

One of the crew hit it with a rag it fell on the ground and blue ooze was coming from it. Buddy called it a hunter spider and said it was harmless but was know to kill small birds and mice and the such.

Now to get some sight into what i was thinking. This was around the time that there was the big Mad Cow sacare in England. All forging passengers were being disinfected and Agriculture Canada was all over the place.  So what do I do with this dead spider. "hey I think I will take it ti the Aggi Canada guys when they arrive. So I picked up he dead spider in a rag and put it in my pocket.

Other planes were showing up so I went to unload them. About 4 hours later I finally found one of the Aggi guys. I proudly took the spider out of my pocket and showed it to them. They brought out a specimen jar and I was putting him inside when the friggin thing moved. It had been alive in my pocket nearly the whole morning.

That was the biggest spider I had seen.

mover1 said:
I remember unloading an Aussie herc in Cold Lake. We were pushing this pallet and the biggest spider I had ever seen crawled across the net by one of the guys heads. You would have thought the plane was about to explode by the way we ( Canadians) scrambelled out of that thing.

One of the crew hit it with a rag it fell on the ground and blue ooze was coming from it. Buddy called it a hunter spider and said it was harmless but was know to kill small birds and mice and the such.

Now to get some sight into what i was thinking. This was around the time that there was the big Mad Cow sacare in England. All forging passengers were being disinfected and Agriculture Canada was all over the place.  So what do I do with this dead spider. "hey I think I will take it ti the Aggi Canada guys when they arrive. So I picked up he dead spider in a rag and put it in my pocket.

Other planes were showing up so I went to unload them. About 4 hours later I finally found one of the Aggi guys. I proudly took the spider out of my pocket and showed it to them. They brought out a specimen jar and I was putting him inside when the friggin thing moved. It had been alive in my pocket nearly the whole morning.

That was the biggest spider I had seen.

Ya, they are huge, and called a Huntsman or get this a triantelope. Some with the leg span up to 15cm or bigger, and many species throughout this vast southern land. They are instectavorus, but will eat frogs and yes mice too.

The good thing is, they are mildly toxic (like a bee sting), and a friendly to the garden and indoors. We often have then inside to my wife's displeasure, but the are found on wall, always chest high, or behind picture frames, etc, earning their rent feeding on other nastys which get inside.

Cheers,

Wes

Honestly, although they look creepy, they are not harmful.

I was more creeped out by the thought of it being alive in there for so long. Gives you the willies.

Yeah spiders like to play dead.

But how come you can never find 2 when you want to.  I wanna see a bitchin spider fight but I panic when I see them so I forget to take them alive.

I could have sworn in some war movie or another they had a scoprion fighting a spider, that the troops had caught, but for the life of me I can't remember which movie it was. I *think* it may have been one about Aussies in Vietnam.

~RoKo~ said:
I could have sworn in some war movie or another they had a scoprion fighting a spider, that the troops had caught, but for the life of me I can't remember which movie it was. I *think* it may have been one about Aussies in Vietnam.

The Odd Angry Shot w/Graeme Kennedy

Back