• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Gagetown Thread- Merged

It's only seven weeks.....and there is lots to see and do in Fredricton in the summer, ahhh summer girls.    ;D

If you can...try to car pool with a buddy for those weekends you want to go back to Montreal.

As for the cheapest travel...ask your OR, they should be able to help you.

Regards

Ah, yes, the Franco Fun bus.....no charge for the ride (c/o the Van Doo mafia), and all the Pepsi and Jos-Louis you can eat  ;D.

Free ride for all Valcartier types who simply MUST return there EVERY weekend, without exception. These guys/gals would roll in on Sunday night to the shacks around 2300 hrs, and before they even checked the orders or the trace for Monday's deployment to the field, they'd be looking for the course senior to hand in their leave pass for the next weekend. And God forbid we weren't dismissed by 1400 or so that Friday, or worse yet if one of them were on duty on the weekend.

I understand that separation from family sucks - I've been through it.  But these guys wouldn't even CONSIDER spending a single weekend in the shacks. Their sole and primary mission in life was to get back to Quebec.

Anyways, now that I've ranted (not in a bad way - I became good friends with some of these guys, and I always found their panic kind of humourous), these buses were running most weekends last spring and summer ('05). So hopefully they do the same this year. Just look up the Franco Fun club in Gagetown (not kidding - this is a real social club through whom this bus is organized).

I believe it is on a regular basis now.. not just for the summer.  we had drivers from QC head home during the early months of this year.. if only Platypuss knew someone in the base HQ...he'd find out.. I can ask a t work tomorrow.  Mind you, that'll only get you to Quebec City, not Montreal!

Bzzliteyr, but that would mean I'd have to actually get out of my chair and walk down the hall and maybe up or down a few steps.  The bus is laid on by the area not CTC HQ estee.  Perhaps you can offer a spot on the moving truck, Bones?

Ouch.. you are wise young Jedi.. I see you still have the working ethics of any Armour Crewman I have ever seen.. good job

you can rent a car from the fredericton aiport. budget rents them with unlimited kms. you could make montreal in 8hrs easy. it's a $12.00 cab ride from the base to the airport.

cheers.

Hey guys.

Im leaving for gagetown and i just want to make sure i can find the main entrence. I am coming from ottawa.

Can anyone give me a address for the actual base and i need to find CFSME

Great site with lots of info:
http://www.status.nb.ca/CFBGagetown.html

Map of Oromocto @
http://www.oromocto.ca/images/map.pdf

From Ottawa
Go to Quebec, through highway 20 (trans canada).  Keep following it to Wolfe River (aka "Riviere du loup").  Follow the transcanada SOUTH to NB.
Once in NB, the highway is #2.  Follow to Fredericton, and beyond.
Take exit 303 (I think).  First one in Oromocto.  Go into town.  Follow that road (Waasis) until you come to lights at intersection by the NB Tel Building.  Turn Right.  At next lights, you are at the main gate.  Turn left.  Go to Firehall.  Turn right.  CFSME is on your left at next intersection.

First exit is 301 (Wassis Road), second is Exit 303 takes you to Miramichi Road which will take you to a traffice circle.  NB loves traffic circles.  Take a right on to St. Lawrence it will take you to the Main gate.

In either case, don't forget to stop at Timmies for a refill! (Gateway drive off exit 303 or Restigouche Rd off exit 301) ;D

Gunner98 said:
First exit is 301 (Wassis Road), second is Exit 303 takes you to Miramichi Road which will take you to a traffice circle.  NB loves traffic circles.  Take a right on to St. Lawrence it will take you to the Main gate.

That would be the second Traffic Circle.......You exit on the road directly to your front at the first Traffic Circle, and then exit onto the first right at the second Traffic Circle......Front Gate is about 1 km straight ahead after a Traffic Light.

Try using Map quest or Google Earth as well.

Regards

Something I don't get...CFB Gagetown is part of Burton, not Oromocto. Well that is the last time I noticed... hehehe. Did anyone else note this before? The main and south gates go into Oromocto while the north to Burton. I need to have a chat with Canada Post on this issue.  ;D

Burton used to begin once you crossed over the Burton Bridge. 

Mods if there is a more appropiate form for this thread please more it.

I did a search on army.ca for cfb gagetown and little information poped up.

I'm heading out that way for a few days to do a recce of sorts, checking out the housing, base, local buisnesses, atmosphere and entertainment etc..  Does anyone have any insights goods or bad on CFB Gagetown or the surrounding area? ie fredericton, oromocto.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna keep it off the open forums

Cheers

Well, in Oromocto
- you've got 2 grocery stores now - Sobey's and Superstore. 
- 2 timmies, and a nice independent coffee shop accross from timmies on restagouche (sp.)
- base has a great gym facility, arena, roller blade track, indoor and outdoor pools, great outdoor running trails
- pub by the canex has great wings

Fredericton
-warning - 2 universities keep town in business - students are everywhere
-good pubs - Dolan's, Snooty Fox (order the blueberry beer)
-taking the wife to a nice restaurant - go to the Blue Door (I used to work there)
-2 main malls - Fredericton and Regent, convieniently by each other - theatre in the Regent Mall
-nice hotel - The Beaverbrook
- bar to whoop it up - Rockin Rodeo/Sweetwaters or Nicky Zee's.

Anything else, ask away...

Oh yeah, every Saturday morning there is a big farmers market (Regent and George St) - llok for the Caisse Populaire.  Great market!

http://www.status.nb.ca/CFBGagetown.html

Here found this, hope it helps.

Back