• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The FN C1 - Service Rifle of the Past (and C7A1 vs FN C1A1)

SeaKingTacco said:
The entire FN stock was cut for scrap a few years ago.

The Russians are shaking their heads, I would not be surprised if they have large stocks of M1867 Russian Krnka covered in cosmoline.

SeaKingTacco said:
The entire FN stock was cut for scrap a few years ago.

60889915_2465022446842268_3834048435338608640_n.jpg

If we can do this to perfectly serviceable M109s cutting up a bunch of rifles is nothing.

:'(

Forgotten weapons on the FNC1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2ASY1Xj_U&fbclid=IwAR0h6yVh0Y9JX25qhacnbI50TGcoizi-6dyIrt9fGtGPm0EEdCl9BMp6cg0

Neat.  My C1A1 is serial number 8L2369...these two rifles were probably built the same day. 

http://imageevent.com/badgerdog/cgnmilsurpknowledgebase/fn1a1vsfnl1a1vsfnc1a1

(And by 'my' C1A1, I mean the legally registered 12(5) rifle that currently resides in my safe in the basement.)

Very interesting and informative video.

I was in the first recruit course in the RCA Depot not issued Lee-Enfields and trained exclusively on the C1. We were the first squad to commence training in 1958. A few of the squads that preceded ours were retained in Shilo for a few weeks to convert to the C1. Considering that this was the Canadian Army, I'm not sure whether the emphasis was on marksmanship and fieldcraft or drill. Just kidding, I think.

On my basic para in Rivers we used some of the old FALs, probably on the principle that it didn't matter how hard they were used and thumped around.

Old Sweat said:
Very interesting and informative video.

I was in the first recruit course in the RCA Depot not issued Lee-Enfields and trained exclusively on the C1. We were the first squad to commence training in 1958. A few of the squads that preceded ours were retained in Shilo for a few weeks to convert to the C1. Considering that this was the Canadian Army, I'm not sure whether the emphasis was on marksmanship and fieldcraft or drill. Just kidding, I think.

On my basic para in Rivers we used some of the old FALs, probably on the principle that it didn't matter how hard they were used and thumped around.

Was the new rifle drill already in effect or was there a period of confused transition?

:cheers:

FJAG said:
Was the new rifle drill already in effect or was there a period of confused transition?

:cheers:

I did my basic para in 1968, so the FN had been in service for more than a decade.

Colin P said:
I don't recall seeing anyone do slope arms with a FN/FAL. Otherwise the drill is similar.

Correct, so we went to carrying the rifle at the shoulder. The original present arms was a two step movement: the first step was to move the rifle out in front of the body with the right arm; while moving the left arm out to catch the foregrip. In a year or so we went to the three step movement.

Blackadder1916 said:
From CAMT 2-2 (1959)

There are a few FNs still floating around as trophy pieces.  Saw a FN and the good old SMG from the same period that was stainless steal plated (??), at least it looked like that material, and used as a competition trophy.  There was a unit presented with one a couple years ago in a display case that is in the Sgts and WOs mess. 

Back