• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Claymore is no more.

[rant]

As well meaning as the land-mine treaty is, IMHO it won't be worth the paper it's printed on when the next major conflict breaks out...

[/rant]

I may well be wrong, but I was told on the last mine awarness class I had that the fuses that come with our "defensive weapon" are command det only. So if you want to make it non command det, you need to liberate an american fuse(s)....

foerestedwarrior said:
I may well be wrong, but I was told on the last mine awarness class I had that the fuses that come with our "defensive weapon" are command det only. So if you want to make it non command det, you need to liberate an american fuse(s)....
Some string, a clothes pin, two thumb tacks and a battery would change that pretty quickly. >:D

So the gist of this thread is to explain that we do not use scottish swords anymore, however, with the adaptation of devices used to hang our wet kilts we may be able to lay our enemy waste.

hmmm...

dileas

tess

Well, in most of the situations discussed of late at Army.ca, if a man in a skirt if going to bring a knife to a gunfight, he'd better fight like a bloody demon. And I'll welcome him on my left, or on my right.

Dileas Gu Brath
The 15th, 92nd and 134th Battalions, Canadian Expeditionary Force, and the 48th Highlanders of Canada

as long as I can still do this with it...  :D

399501.jpg

The picture looks pretty "gung-ho" but in my opinion, that vehicle would be totally FUBAR after detonating that mine.

Also, modify this mine at your own peril. There are lots of stories and tribal knowledge about how to improvise this mine, however, as Canadian Soldiers we fall under all restrictions and regulations to all laws and treaties that Canada has signed.  :salute:

AmmoTech90 said:
The only place they deploy persistent AP mines is Korea.  In fact they need Presidential authority to deploy persistent AT mines anywhere.

What is a Persistant landmine? Is there a Non-Persistant one?

I've been in the landmine business for some time now and have never heard reference to this before.

Persistant or Non-Persistant Nerve Agents do however ring a bell.

Not trying to be an ass.... Just curious.

armybuck041 said:
What is a Persistant landmine? Is there a Non-Persistant one?

Scotty

Not my terminology, it's taken directly from the US Dept of State Policy.  I would say a persistant landmine is one that has no self-neutralization or self-destruct built in.
Check my link, thats where its taken from.

D

Its all just smoke and mirrors though isnt it? I mean i say "tamarto", you say "toeMato". A mine is a mine, a bomb is a bomb and a rifle is a rifle. Its the public perception that counts, "Land mines are awful, but i cant find a problem with an anti-personale device"! Its the same with WP in the artillery. Phos can only be used to "Mark enemy troops", but according to an Arty mate of mine, "Marking" could include every gun they've got landing phospherous on the bad guys and burning them up. As long as you've got a nice friendly name (as someone has already said) you could do anything without people complaining.
How about we rename the persistant mine a "Care bear Super Care device for feet, legs and lower body"? I wanna see some hippy complaining about that!

Sapper41 said:
This information is at least four years old.
Quagmire said:
Sapper41 that maybe true but it seems it has just made its way to the unwashed masses.
I belive this was made as a public announcment when media spin tried to make excitment about the C-19 being used in East Timor (a few years back).

Mike_R23A said:
That's why this came out...

399497.jpg

I don't know what those guys were thinking about. The Claymore has a backblast area that would wreck the vehicle if they detonated the mine. I never heard of persistent/non-persistent minefields. We have point and area minefields. If a platoon, say, lays a minefield to block a road or something like that, it's a point minefield. Engineers (for the most part) lay area minefields. To the best of my knowledge, the Army and Marine Corps are going to keep mines in the inventory, which is a good thing.

Red 6 said:
I don't know what those guys were thinking about.
That's the problem - they weren't thinking........... and that's a bad thing !

Well, the whole thing about mines not being allowed anymore is pointless as far as i see it. The only countries that are going to follow these new laws are countries like Canada Germany France US, UK....... and all of these countries have the same thing in common. They arent fighting any major wars that have front lines that require mines. Iraq and Afghanistan dont need mines planted by these countries because there is no frontline where you know your enemy is going to hit the mine before your own men.
  The countries that actually have the problems with the mines andthe countries that caused this to become law are all countries who have a government who cant control everything that goes on. The countries are all involved in or recovering from a major war in which mines were useful.
  I personally think that if Canada and all the other countries I mentioned above want to have claymores named claymores, let them. They are only going to be used when they are needed, and only if there is minimal risk to civilians. The same goes for the other mines that are planted underground... but only if they are used for a certain operation and are all disposed of after the operation is completed.
  This is just another rule that is only going to be followed by countries that dont need the rule. And the ones that do need it , wont follow it.

Back