• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

the Canadian Flag

JackD

Inactive
Reaction score
For those interested, I discovered this site about flags of the world - in this case, the Canadian flag, and customs and traditions of displaying the flag, and the "Royal Union Flag" in Canada. I found it astounding that while posted to Chilliwack and indeed most other places I'd ended up at, the protocol of displaying these flags was not adhered to... "Tut-tut Base (Station) (Contingent) Sargeant-majors!" 
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ca.html#Maple

JackD said:
For those interested, I discovered this site about flags of the world - in this case, the Canadian flag, and customs and traditions of displaying the flag, and the "Royal Union Flag" in Canada. I found it astounding that while posted to Chilliwack and indeed most other places I'd ended up at, the protocol of displaying these flags was not adhered to... "Tut-tut Base (Station) (Contingent) Sargeant-majors!" 
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ca.html#Maple

I glanced through the link you provided.  When you say that protocol was not adhered to, are you speaking of when the Union Jack should also be flown and wasn't, or procedures overall?  I know that on ships and on Naval Bases, ceremonial procedures are strictly adhered to.  The reference for that is the "Manual of Ceremony for HMC Ships, Submarines and Naval Reserve Divisions".  I have the pdf file myself, but can't find a link to post right now.

As well, for future reference for yourself or others, check out this pdf file: THE HONOURS, FLAGS AND HERITAGE STRUCTURE OF THE CANADIAN FORCES.  This, along with the pub I mentioned above, is what is used within the CF regarding flags and procedures.

Hi! Yes, more the Union Jack - specifically on the days mandated. Until reading that article, i was completely unaware of those issues. I imagine the errr... 'navy' would be more up on these traditions than the 'army' or 'air force', but even when posted to the "puzzle palace" circa 1982-85, i never did see this flag posted on such mandated days..... I was kicking about in the services 1974 -1985.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/etiquette/4_e.cfm
The Union Jack will, where physical arrangements allow, be flown along with the National Flag at federal buildings, airports, military bases, and other appropriate establishments within Canada, from sunrise to sunset, on the following occasions annually:

• the date of the official observance of Her Majesty The Queen's Birthday (Victoria Day, the Monday preceding May 25);
  • the anniversary of the adoption of the Statute of Westminster (December 11); and
  • the date of the official observance of Commonwealth Day (the second Monday in March).

"Physical arrangements" means the existence of at least two flagpoles. The National Flag will always take precedence and will not be replaced by the Union Jack.

The Union Jack may be flown with the National Flag at the National War Memorial and at similarly appropriate federal locations in Canada in connection with ceremonies marking anniversaries of events in which Canadian forces participated with other Commonwealth forces.

While not sure if it occurred at every military location or on every occasion as required, as I probably didn't pay much attention to such things (as you did 20 years ago), I had the 'good luck' to be Base Duty Officer on one of those occasions (about 20 years ago).  One of the chores of the BDO was to ensure that the flag went up in the morning and salute it as the Commissionaire raised it. (I think they had us do it so that the BDO had to get his ass out of bed early in the morning) When I received my briefing for this particular duty included was a copy of a msg (CANFORGEN ?) reminding all of the protocol regarding the Union Jack.

In Chilliwack, you had to take notice - a bloody wacking big flag raising ceremony at 8 Am - the time the regiment people were attempting to get back to the barracks after morning pt - and get back for 8:30 inspection.. penalty for corporals caught sneaking around  (especially if they are driving a pick-up filled to the brim with sappers from their section) - base duty corporal for weeks on end - Bonus if you are already regimental duty corporal for weeks on end... The write-up on the choice of colours etc, of the flag is rather interesting. It is my speculation that the choice of scarlet on a white background was due to those colours  being the cheapest ones available  - a nice flag, simple and elegant and cheap to procure. It still should have had  some blue in it - a nod to the other founding nation. Now in these politically correct times I imagine it would look like a Jackson Pollock work - a splash of every colour

Back