• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The air cadet thread

Peace said:
roger that.

OK...Sheila Khutner, Scott and Craig Stevenson, Matt Follows, Sean , Peter Moth, Doug and Rick Somthing or other (brothers - one was rather heavy)

Funny I can't seem to rememebr last names anymore...

Cheers

Slim

well im from the era about a decade later... i was in from .... 2000-2003 i believe.

Peace said:
well im from the era about a decade later... i was in from .... 2000-2003 i believe.

A decade?! Cripes man...I'm talking '83 and '84!

Last night my unit informed us that to get promoted / appointed the rank of LAC it you must now be in for only 5 month. Any thoughts on this change?

On a second note I got promoted to Corporal.  :D

Good job Yoman. And the 5 month thing...........Not really a big deal. There was a provision before for doing it at 6 months, so 5 isn't all that big a change.

I'm getting rather anoyed......they are making cadet quite easy.......well.....easier.......

WO2_mandal said:
I'm getting rather anoyed......they are making cadet quite easy.......well.....easier.......

I don't like it either. You join in September and you get LAC in February. To me LAC meant that you had more experience doing things like your uniform and that you were more senior. Now LAC is going to turn into another retention thing. Ah well... My unit going to have 60 new LAC's in February.

Like I said, many a unit gave them out after 6 months. So March. Is Feburary really all that big a deal? And anyway, a CO can not give someone their LAC's if they feel they don't deserve it. The only change is now, the earliest a cadet can get them is 5 not 6. Not a big deal.

Lac is jsut a giver anyhow.  Who cares. The ones who skip LAC are the ones to watch out for, espically in a large Sqn.  I mean honestly. IF it only takes a propellor and a pat on the back to make that cadet stand tall and WANT to pollish their boots and be a better cadet cause they feel good, then go for it.

I know a good number of units who start their first years off in a "recruit phase" and until they pass that and are sworn in (not a legal oath) the 5 months doesn't start.  This lets the SQN have them as regular AC's until about May so everyone is an LAC just prior to the Annual Review.  That practice has been pretty standard in units for decades (at least the 2 decades I've been around the system).

Bean said:
I know a good number of units who start their first years off in a "recruit phase" and until they pass that and are sworn in (not a legal oath) the 5 months doesn't start.  This lets the SQN have them as regular AC's until about May so everyone is an LAC just prior to the Annual Review.  That practice has been pretty standard in units for decades (at least the 2 decades I've been around the system).

How long is this "recruit phase"? I think its a good idea from what your saying.

Peace said:
Lac is jsut a giver anyhow.  Who cares. The ones who skip LAC are the ones to watch out for, espically in a large Sqn.  I mean honestly. IF it only takes a propellor and a pat on the back to make that cadet stand tall and WANT to pollish their boots and be a better cadet cause they feel good, then go for it.

Good point.

The way I, and others I know, had structured the recuit training was all of the Level 1 GCK and Citizenship, plus half of the drill periods allocated for level one.  Depending on the squadron, this takes between 10-15 training nights and usually one famil weekend in the field or a famil flying opportunity.  Usually allows for a Mid September start of the program with Recruit swearing in (or similar event) just prior to christmas stand down.  It usually works well, and the ones who stick it out through arguably the least interessting, but foundation subjects in the progrm, will likely stick out at least through the second year (personal experience talking on that one, not hard facts).

Here are some examples of what my unit does regarding the recruit program.

I am the RecO with my unit.  Our Recruit program is 14 weeks and directly supplements the level 1 program.  I have 5 staff Cadets and 61 recruits currently.  The Recruit Unifrom is black dress pants, black dress shoes and white dress shirt, this way everyone is uniformly dressed while they undergo training and earn the right to wear the Air Cadet uniform (also fills in the waiting time from Logistik).  All extra-curricular activities are earned.  Once the Rec. program is completed they take the oath, and graduate to Air Cadets.

just some insight.

regards

PV

PViddy said:
Here are some examples of what my unit does regarding the recruit program.

I am the RecO with my unit.  Our Recruit program is 14 weeks and directly supplements the level 1 program.  I have 5 staff Cadets and 61 recruits currently.  The Recruit Unifrom is black dress pants, black dress shoes and white dress shirt, this way everyone is uniformly dressed while they undergo training and earn the right to wear the Air Cadet uniform (also fills in the waiting time from Logistik).  All extra-curricular activities are earned.  Once the Rec. program is completed they take the oath, and graduate to Air Cadets.

just some insight.

regards

PV

So they don't get the uniform until they finish recruit training?

Our recruit dress uniform is the same witch I think is good.

Recruits receive their uniform about 2-3 weeks prior to there graduation.  This allows time for correction of uniform infractions and improper wear, before graduation parade.  recruits are taught how to iron, shine, wear etc. before issuance of the uniform.  Our goal was to have them in uniform for Rememberance Day, however since we had an intake of 60 or so, supply took a litle longer than ususal.

regards

PV

Sounds like a good system. 51 has all new recruits issued a blue t-shirt that is their uniform until they are issued the entire thing. Seems to work well, though I must say I like the idea of a whole recruit phase, we just have all the level ones together with the mandatory training. Mostly drill and GCK at the start until the understand the basics.

PViddy said:
Recruits receive their uniform about 2-3 weeks prior to there graduation.   This allows time for correction of uniform infractions and improper wear, before graduation parade.   recruits are taught how to iron, shine, wear etc. before issuance of the uniform.   Our goal was to have them in uniform for Rememberance Day, however since we had an intake of 60 or so, supply took a litle longer than ususal.

regards

PV

I wonder why some units supply has a hard time getting uniforms. We had 64 ich recruits and we all had them in uniform after there 6 weeks. Then I hear somebody who has been in cadets for a year and still doesn't have a uniform. I find it weird how some units get uniforms faster then others.

Back