• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Agent Orange and Its Repercussions Thread

ArmyRick said:
Just look up Sodium Laurel Sulfate some time on Google and found out a little bit about it and where it is used on a daily basis. Thats only one of many dangerous chemicals out there.

Not a very good example. The first entry is to an urban lengends site debunking false information being passed around that it causes cancer.

I never said SLS was a carcinogen, I said it was a dangerous chemical.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is not a carcenogen.  It is a penetration enhancer and skin irritant.  As a penetration enhancer, it breaks down the skin and allows more toxins to enter the body (meaning carcinogens that the skin, as a filter, will usually keep out are now able to enter).  As a skin irritant, it is acually used in clinical studies to test skin creams designed to soothe rashes, etc.  SLS is used to CAUSE the initial irritation, so that it can be seen if the new cream has the desired result.

SLS does also get taken up by the organs and stored in the body, since the body really has no way to process it.  Obviously, an increase in toxins in the body will lead to an increased risk of cancer.

For more information on SLS, you can go to www.ewg.org, and select "Cosmetics" from the Site Index.  The section entitled "Skin Deep" breaks down a list of products on the market, rates them according to toxicity, and explains why they chemicals are toxic.

For more in-depth research on SLS, you can get some pretty scary information from Philip Day's "Cancer: Why we're still dying to know the truth"  This book has an excellent explanation of the effects of SLS on different organs, and even how it effects the development of the eyes in newborns. The book was published by Credence, ISBN 0-9535012-4-8.  Mr. Day has written a large number of other books and article, also available on teh credence website, www.credence.org

Another good source for information is the website for the Cancer Prevention Coalition, www.preventcancer.com .  Again, this site primarily talks about how SLS allows other toxins to enter the system:

"A final ingredient of particular concern is the harshly irritant sodium lauryl sulfate. A single application to adult human skin has been shown to damage its microscopic structure, increasing the penetration of carcinogenic and other toxic ingredients. "
http://www.preventcancer.com/publications/pdf/Time%20to%20Protect%20Babies%20feb2805.htm

As well, there are a number of books, articles and other materials put out by Dr. Samuel Epstein, the Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition.

So, you are right, SLS is not a carcinogen, and that old email floating around stating that it is has been called out long ago.

BUT, SLS is NOT safe.  It is a cheap alternative to safer solutions.

You would be hard pressed to find SLS in any of the products in our home...not even in the bathroom tile scrubber.

Cheers, Armyrick and Armyrick's chick.

These reports will be quite interesting with all the nonsense the government has reported up til now... and yes I am very distrusting at this stage of the process...

http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060525/CPA/49959029

Defence minister says Agent Orange issue will be settled in one year

FREDERICTON (CP) - A resolution to the Agent Orange controversy at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown is still about one year away, Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor said Thursday.

O'Connor, during his first official visit to Canada's largest army training base, said two important reports on Agent Orange will be released in New Brunswick next week.

He said one report will look at the history of herbicide spraying at the base, from its early days in the 1950s to present day.

The second report will discuss recent tests at the base to determine if there are lingering effects from years of chemical spraying.

"I think that, in the overall scheme of things, we're about one year away from final resolution of this problem," O'Connor told reporters.

"One of the things they're trying to do is determine who was here, all the names, so that when they get to a resolution they will know who to deal with."

During the mid-1960s, the U.S. military tested the powerful defoliants Agent Purple and Agent Orange, as well as several other agents used during the Vietnam War, at the New Brunswick base.

Both military personnel and civilians who live near the base have raised concerns about their health as a result of exposure to chemical sprays.

The issue has been complicated by the fact that many of the same herbicides applied at Gagetown were widely used in other operations across the country, including forestry and farming.

http://www.basegagetownandareafactfindersproject.ca/index-e.html

MEDIA ADVISORY

May 26, 2006

Fact-Finder to discuss first two reports on herbicide use at CFB Gagetown

Dr. Dennis Furlong, Fact-finding Outreach Coordinator, will hold a press conference to discuss the most current findings with regards to the spraying of herbicides at CFB Gagetown on Thursday, June 1, 2006 1pm at the Oromocto Days Inn.

The press conference will focus on the final reports from Task 2A (a review of the history of the use of herbicides at CFB Gagetown from 1952 to the present) and 2B (an environmental site assessment of the range and training area at CFB Gagetown).

All reports will be embargoed until 1:00 p.m.                                           

Note to editors:
A media room at the Days Inn will be opened at 11:30am and reports from Tasks 2A and 2B will be made available.

Fact-finding and Outreach Coordinators office – (506) 357-8200

Finally some of the truth is coming out... and now it seems there are 9 contaminated areas in CFB Gagetown. The website referred to below contains 2 quite a large files so I suggest any who are interested check it out for themselves.... It takes time to read but it does prove that what "WE" have been saying about the chemicals is now being accepted and confirmed by DND and the government.. The chemicals WERE sprayed and toxic chemical residue is still a problem as far as I am concerned...

Now if only DVA can give help to the people that are so sick. That would be the best thing that I can think of happening but we may have to wait for another year...

http://www.basegagetownandareafactfindersproject.ca/task2A-B.html

I have started to read the reports and have read to page 13 and  the Reports Pose Questions

As I read "Final Report: Task 2A: The History and Science of Herbicide Use at CFB Gagetown From 1952 to Present", one of the reports done by Jacques Whitford, I note
that a lot has been done in recent years to TRY to control pesticides and herbicides. As of 1978, the Environmental Protection Services has conducted inspections of federal government sponsored pesticide applications. New Brunswick regulates pesticide use under the Pesticides Control Act (1973) and four measures in the act directly apply to the
application of herbicides at CFB Gagetown. It is further noted that DND follows the provincial standards and regulations for herbicide application within the Range and
Training Area at CFB Gagetown....

Documents, pertaining to safety, used to produce this report show dates of 1999, 1979, 1978 and 2000. DND also adheres to polices and codes and practices such as, the
Treasury Board Manual, Occupational Safety and Health Volume pertaining to Pesticides and this requires that a record of pesticide use be maintained for 30 years...

DND & Government Officials still say they followed all regulations. The chemical tragedy happened long before any of these dates of control so DND is patting
themselves on the back for changes that were made after the fact?? One change they forgot as they learned that these chemicals could poison and kill humans was the
victims themselves. Did no one think to warn the victims? Did no one think that 'due care and caution' was also a requirement to protect human life and still is?

As the victims die after enduring lengthy dehabiliating illnesses, DND and the Government state they followed standards and regulations... Where were these
'standards and regulation' when the tragedy was happening?? Now look at the reports of contamination at this time and add the spraying happening now, according to
'standards and regulations' and add and add and add to the toxic soup. 9 areas in total that are over the acceptable level of contamination and DND is trying to decided what to do with those areas?  Only 3 areas have been marked 'out of bounds'?  THIS TRAGEDY MUST NEVER BE REPEATED, PLEASE

Hi All,
Just managed to find this forum by chance. I need to spill my guts and this appears to be a good place for it.
I read all your posts and its amazing just how many people there is out there that have been affected by Agent Orange. Well,....it makes me see RED!!!!!
I am a proud army brat and my father is an extremely proud RCEME. He served 32 yrs in the CF. Was a good life he says,.....till lately.
My father was posted to Gagetown from 1961-1971. We lived in Moncton and Dad was in Gagetown 2-3 days each week in the field. Five years ago his first cancers started. I could list the proper names but I don't think its necessary. All his cancers are in his upper body mainly mouth, throat and now he has lung cancer. The worst one is the cancer in his mouth. Last October he had to have an operation that consisted of the removal of part of his tongue, jaw, gum and cheek. He was in the hospital for 3 months. He has a feeding tube as he cannot eat by mouth. It was this cancer that was so puzzling how someone so healthy could get all these cancers in the same area within several years. His cancer doctor was puzzled. Said there was no logical explanation for it. I mentioned about army and gagetown and he said, "of course, that is the only possible way, agent orange".
Since my father has gotten out of the hospital he requires lots of care and help. I called around and was always stopped by a brick wall. Finally I got in contact with an old old boyfriend of mine from 29 years ago to see if he could help me.(He is currently my new old boyfriend :)) He helped me get on the right path, gather all the info needed to start this Agent Orange claim.
When you retire the CF gives you all your employment history. Everything is documented. Well guess what? All was there except for the two years,....1966 and 1967. Go figure.
I called DVA, started the claim and was told without those two years I was SOL. The case workers exact words.
I continued to dig and dig and a superman from DND Ottawa The Center Peter Lewis found the missing years we needed. I requested every document that had Dad's name on it from Archives and went to work. I compiled my claim and did my homework. I sent in the claim and was assigned another person. After waiting months I contacted this person and was told " your fathers file is in a pile on a desk waiting to be reviewed". I have documented every phone call, names, what they said and I have spoken to alto of people trying to get somewhere just to get a bit of help to care for my father. Still brick walls. Not to mention the endless attempts to add me to the claim so I could speak on Dad's behalf,.....because he can't talk. Finally we received our denial letter, it says yes, you were there at the proper times, yes, some of the cancers are linked to Agent Orange but unfortunately there is no evidence that you were exposed to Agent Orange. Pretty disheartening for sure.
Meanwhile my fathers cancer has come back and is given several months to live. I immediately called to appeal. I am told I will receive a letter from an advocate that is on my side and will advise me on what more I needed to  get this claim approved. I receive a letter 2-3 weeks later from the advocates legal admin secretary. She says we are not going to appeal as we need to wait for the fact finders project to be completed. Also in the second paragraph of the letter stated that they understand that my fathers psoriasis claim due to agent orange was denied. I could not believe this. If my father only had psoriasis,...... :mad:  I was so upset that I called back and asked to speak to the advocate that was on my side. I got her to read the letter we were sent and she said it was just a typo,....no apologies, just told me she has been doing this for 20 years and that she dictates and secretary types it. That's another story.
My father was admitted to the hospital yesterday. He weighs 80 lbs,..can't talk, has a feeding tube and is on every drug you can imagine for pain, he is sleeping most of the time because of the medication he is on. All because of Agent Orange.
All we wanted was to get a bit of help. The stress and strain and grief it has caused our family is unbearable.  I have not lived at my own residence for almost a year. I must sell my home as I cannot care for my parents and keep that place going. I will not back down from this. I will go to the media, I will get the attention I need to have. Its no longer about help or money. Its about acknowledgement. I will get the attention I need one way or another. My father deserves dignity and respect.

I can not express the compassion I want to pass on to your family.... It is so difficult to deal with having a sick family member and I can understand your anger...
From what you have posted here, I can see that your dad certainly MUST know that he is greatly loved by his family and that is a blessing...

Sandy Skipton    info.needed@ns.sympatico.ca

Please email me when you feel you can....

GailBrat, my heart goes out to you, your family and espically your father. I to am a former soldier that served in Gagetown and I have cancer. I also applied to VA and was denied because as they say it," all Agent Orange claims are being held over until the review is completed."
The goverment has repeated many times that a package will be completed by this fall or early spring. This does not help those like your father who needs assistance now.
Keep fighting VA, use all possible means to reach your goal on behalf of your father.

GUNS
(Gagetown-70/71/72.

Thanks so much for the kind words Sandy and Guns. Its been one hell of a day!! My brothers and sister and I spent the whole day at the hospital. The doctor gave my father 1-2 days. One minute I am ok, then the next minute I am losing it. I have watched my father suffer and dwindle away to nothing for so long now that the reality is finally starting to sink in. I am so bitter at the government,....all of them. Its so funny how things work. Can't get help from VA because Dad never fought in a war, if we can prove he was injured while he served then they will help. So the Agent Orange claim was filed and denied.  I call to appeal and the advocate tells me no we can't appeal until the fact-finders survey is complete. We try to get help from the provincial government. They come and assess Dad. Dad cannot eat by mouth, feeding tube only. His total food supply comes from a liquid can that goes in his feeding tube and he cannot open his can because he is too weak. The government says he is fine. Doesn't need help. Yep,....the only thing he has benefited from is his Veteran's plates. Thank god for them!!!!!  The money he has saved on all his free parking for his endless hospital visits and treatments have added up. I am in the process of a claim for a shoulder injury and 2 operations from playing ball for the army. Will try that way.
By the way, my fathers name is MCpl Robert (Bob) Charland. He was RCEME and was with the RCD's overseas.  Dad has many friends throughout his military career and I am sure they would like to know whats going on with him. If there is anyone out there that remembers him, let me know.

Thanks again for your compassion, that is one thing VA doesn't have
Gail

A local artical from this morning's Kingston Whig Standard (reproduced in accordance with with Fair dealings etc etc etc )

http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=76996&catname=Local+News&classif=News+%2D+Local

Agent Orange sufferers fear for children

By Frank Armstrong
Local News - Monday, June 19, 2006 @ 07:00

While a soldier in the Korean War and at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown, Bill Marshall spent countless days crawling through dense foliage dripping with herbicide defoliants as he participated in manoeuvres or laid communication lines for Canadian soldiers.

The former lineman and veteran of the Korean and Second Waorld Wars knows he was exposed to massive doses of toxic chemicals in Korea and at the New Brunswick military base.

“We would be surveying where to put the lines and I could see the planes going over and I would come home soaking, my clothes just reeking with chemical pesticides,” Marshall said from his Kingston home yesterday.

More than 50 years after serving in Korea and 45 years after living at CFB Gagetown, Marshall is fighting colon and liver cancer that the federal government has acknowledged was caused by exposure to herbicides.

Officials with Veterans Affairs Canada proclaimed Marshall’s cancer stemmed from his exposure to defoliants in Korea and sent him his compensation only a few months after he applied for it last year.

To date, 21 veterans since 1995 have been awarded compensation pensions for being exposed to Agent Orange. Of those, four have been awarded for service-related exposure to Agent Orange at CFB Gagetown.

Marshall is grateful he’s receiving full compensation for his suffering and that the money came quickly.

He’s now hoping the federal government will compensate the thousands of other Canadians who may have been poisoned by Agent Orange and other defoliants sprayed to kill trees and brush around parts of CFB Gagetown in the 1950s and onwards.

Last week, a CFB Shilo man launched a class-action suit against the federal government on behalf of all those who “have suffered or are expected to suffer” from exposure.

Marshall hopes his daughter, who was conceived and born at CFB Gagetown and now suffers from violent, daily epileptic fits, will also get some money from the federal government.

Julie Daoust, a spokeswoman for Veterans Affairs Canada, said the federal government will respond to any concerns raised by Canadian Forces members, veterans, civilians and area residents about herbicide use at CFB Gagetown. She also said it is developing compensation options for government consideration.

“The work is being handled on a priority basis and is progressing well,” Daoust said yesterday.

Marshall and his wife, Anna, are convinced Jackie Ellis’s fits are caused by her father’s exposure to chemical defoliants at CFB Gagetown and in Korea.

Jackie, who lives in Newcastle, near Toronto, can’t work for a living. She’s knocked out all of her front teeth while falling during fits and is completely dependent on her husband.

“She can’t even cross the street on her own,” said Anna.

The Marshalls are investing a lot of their hope in their neighbour, Gloria Sellar, who convinced the Marshalls last year to apply for the compensation and helped them do it.

The Kingston woman has been appointed to a national panel that is examining the use of Agent Orange and other herbicides at CFB Gagetown and its effects on soldiers and others there as far back as 50 years ago.

“When I got sick, she said, Get off your butt because Gordon got his pension,’ ” Bill Marshall said. “She told me what to do and how to go about it.”

For 15 years, Gloria Sellar campaigned for compensation for her husband, but it wasn’t until June 2004 that the federal government acknowledged that the herbicide it allowed the U.S. military to test around CFB Gagetown could have caused deadly illnesses.

On Friday, Sellar left Kingston for Oromocto, N.B., where she is working to get compensation for those afflicted among the more than 1,000 soldiers who served under her husband in the 1960s at the base when he was colonel and commanding officer of the 1st Battalion, Black Watch.

She’s helping soldiers, veterans and their families apply for compensation by helping them write letters and organize documents that must accompany the applications.

Sellar, one of 12 members of the panel, is the widow of Gordon Sellar, a decorated war veteran and retired brigadier-general. He died at the age of 80 in 2004 from leukemia attributed to exposure to Agent Orange at the New Brunswick military base.

Sellar will meet with the panel on Wednesday and Thursday to discuss the latest results of a fact-finding and outreach initiative that’s examining the use of herbicides at CFB Gagetown.

The initiative is trying to do the following:

Figure out how herbicides react in the human body, how humans become exposed and the risk to human health;

Explore the history of herbicide use at CFB Gagetown since 1952;

Identify Canadian Forces members and civilian employees who were present during the testing or regular spraying of herbicides at the base.

Before leaving Kingston, Sellar said she has been impressed by the efforts being made to investigate the issue, but she said the process needs to be sped up because many of the people who were exposed are so sick and dying.

“Everyone is working very hard, but time just doesn’t seem to be on our side,” Sellar said yesterday.

She hopes that compensation will soon come for more people.

She also said there is some anger that the process is taking so long.

“Soldiers are feeling they have given their lives to the service and love it and were so loyal to it,” she said.

Bill Marshall and Gordon Sellar aren’t the only local men who believed they were made sick by herbicides sprayed at CFB Gagetown.

Ken Dobbie of Kingston is the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit against the federal government that is in the process of being certified as a class-action suit.

His association, the Agent Orange Association of Canada, set up about a year ago, has been contacted by about 3,000 people who have either lived or worked at Gagetown. Sellar is the association’s honorary chairwoman.

At 57, Dobbie suffers from a multitude of health problems, including seizures, diabetes, blackouts and pancreatitis. His symptoms began with stomach ulcers within months of finishing his brush-clearing job at CFB Gagetown.

He has been hospitalized numerous times, is unable to work and is screened for liver and pancreatic cancer every three months.

file6182006114647PM.jpg

:salute: :cdn:

My father sadly lost his battle with his cancers due to Agent Orange. 

Robert J. Charland

Robert (Bob) J. Charland 75, of Moncton, surrounded by his family, passed away peacefully at the Dr. Georges L. Dumont Hospital on Monday June 26, 2006, after a courageous battle with cancer. Born in Ottawa, he was the son of the late Joseph and Mary (Gilbert) Charland. Bob was retired from the Canadian Armed Forces with 32 years service, having being stationed in Lahr, Germany; Alert, Northwest Territories; Whitehorse, Yukon; Saint John, Gagetown and various bases in Ontario. Bob was a member of Moncton legion Branch # 6, he enjoyed working on cars, playing darts, was an avid cook and enjoyed all sports, however, his grandchildren, great grandchild and family came first.

Bob will be sadly missed by his wife of 54 years Emilienne (Millie) (Theriault) Charland: Daughters; Sandra Roper (Frank), Shediac; Gail Leger, Berry Mills;; Sons: Guy, Moncton; Maurice (Gisele), Mississauga, ON: Grandchildren; Craig, Lesley, Tanya, Robyn, Amanda, Ryan, Travis, Lisa, April: Great Granddaughter Abigail. Brothers: Ernie (Betty), North Gower, On; Bill (Dot), Calgary, AB; Raymond, Alberta. Several nieces and nephews. Predeceased by his brother Jim.

Visitation at Ferguson Knowles Funeral Home, 1657 Mountain Road, Moncton (858-1995) Wednesday 2-4, 7-9pm. Moncton Legion # 6 Memorial service Wednesday 7pm. Funeral Service at Ferguson Knowles Funeral Home Chapel, Thursday June 29, 2006, 11am. Rev. Aaron Billard officiating. Reception following the service.

In Bob’s memory, donations made to Dr. Georges L. Dumont Hospital Oncology unit or the Canadian Cancer Society would be appreciated.

Update
I have located the newspapers I have been looking for "Oromocto Gazette" the years of '64, '65, '66  so I now can verify some of my husbands story because the '64 paper has a great deal of coverage about a soccer competition and it names the CFB Chatham team as a participant. Only problem there is that the team was knocked out in the first round so team members are not named... My search for info is back on-track and still ongoing....

I would like to suggest that it is important that people retain a file of their personal information, since I have run up against the 'privacy act' and it seems just now that the act is being REALLY enforced on anything... (ie we used to be able to go to a doc office and ask for a copy of our documents, that is much harder to do today) This is causing a problem for the type of search that I am on.... take it from me, at this moment in time, even YOUR information is being protected FROM YOU by the interruptation of the 'privacy act'. I believe the law makers are questioning this and perhaps they will get it sorted out. BUT, unless you have your history (paper trail) in your possession you may be denied access to it if you ever need the info....

As for the BGAFFP (BaseGagetown and Area Fact-Finding Project) concerning the chemical exposures at CFB Gagetown during the years 1956 up til present time, it is expected that during Mid-Aug there will be approximately 4 reports released: Task 2D AirDrift, Task 2E Water Migration, Task 3A-I Toxicology Risk Assessment (Tier 1),Task 3A2 Human Health Risk Assessment re. Contaminated Sites. We will be able to read these reports at http://www.basegagetownandareafactfindersproject.ca/index-e.html in the area named "What's New".  Two of the research companies, that were hired to study specific areas and present reports, have completed their reports and those can also be read at the same website and show several sites in Gagetown that are still contaminated today by the very chemicals the victims were exposed to.... The facts are being put together and the facts are bearing up the stories that have been told by those that were exposed....

Two of the health reports have been released at http://www.basegagetownandareafactfindersproject.ca/task3_final_report.html

These two reports are part of an ongoing process of research and information gathering aimed at providing a complete picture of the testing and use of herbicides at CFB Gagetown from 1952 to the present day. A number of other reports will be released in the following months.

Task 3A-1 a toxicological human health risk assessment will be done in three tiers. Tier 1 report was presented today and Tiers 2 and 3 will be the subject of subsequent reports. The objective of Task 3A-1 Tier 1 was to conduct a human health risk assessment to estimate potential exposures to contaminants within those military products, to characterize potential health risks and to determine whether exposures to herbicides and contaminants within those herbicides, used at CFB Gagetown, during the 1966–67 U.S. trials, may be associated with human health risks.

The objective of Task 3A-2 was to conduct a Human Health Risk Assessment (HHRA) to evaluate potential human exposures to current levels of herbicides and herbicide related chemicals for people who could be expected to be on the site currently or in the future.

Neither of these reports were favourable to the victims and from my point of view, it would seem that Health Canada has put themselves out on a precipice and is standing against many world renown scientists.  Hopefully the next two reports will report information that will protect our future.

These reports are seen as a relief to the Commander of CFB Gagetown...

Three training areas that had been closed to troops since March were put back into service Thursday after a federally commissioned scientific study concluded the closures over fears of dioxin contamination were "not warranted."

Word of the reopening is welcome news in the region because base personnel make up a large component of the local workforce.

When the sections were first closed back in March, base commander Col. Ryan Jestin said that without the base's training areas, there would be no reason to keep the base open.

Minister of Veterans Affairs and President of AOAC (Agent Orange Association of Canada), respond to the latest reports concerning Chemicals sprayed at Gagetown...

Ottawa promises compensation in Agent Orange controversy at N.B. base
16:40:33 EDT Aug 11, 2006
Canadian Press: CHRIS MORRIS
FREDERICTON (CP) - Veterans Affairs Minister Greg Thompson says the federal government is committed to compensating people whose health was harmed by herbicides at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown, despite new reports that have downplayed the health risks.

Thompson said Friday the federal government understands there may not be enough hard data to make scientific decisions about events that happened as long as 50 years ago.

But he said that's where compassion and fairness will become part of the equation.

"The whole story will not come out on the testing simply because it happened so many years ago," Thompson said in an interview.

"All of those people can't be wrong; some of the evidence we know is out there can't be wrong and there's obviously a lot of evidence that would be missing simply because of the passage of time.

"At the end of the day, we will be coming up with a compensation package for those people."

People seeking either compensation or military disability pensions as a result of defoliant spraying at the New Brunswick base were disappointed by two reports this week that gave the base a clean bill of health.

The reports also concluded there were no long-term health problems as a result of U.S. military tests of such products as Agent Orange and Agent Purple during a seven-day period in 1966 and 1967.

There are more reports to come, including a study of the health impacts of all herbicide spraying at the base.

But Ken Dobbie, head of the Ottawa-based Agent Orange Association of Canada, said he is becoming increasingly skeptical of the federal government's investigation of the Agent Orange controversy.

Dobbie said there is no way the southern New Brunswick base should get a clean bill of health, especially when just four months ago three areas were declared off limits because of higher-than-acceptable dioxin levels.

"We have had this whitewash going on for 50 years and I would say there is a conspiracy to try and push this issue onto the back burner or off the stove entirely," Dobbie said.

Based on the latest studies, areas of CFB Gagetown that were closed have now been reopened.

Thompson said he is not questioning the studies that were released this week.

He said it is good news that the base, the largest military training facility in Canada, is safe for Canadian and allied troops to use.

Thompson said the health studies may indicate that fewer people will be entitled to compensation.

"It could indicate that the number of those who actually would be compensated is lower than what some might have thought from the get-go," he said.

It's estimated at least 200,000 people passed through the base during the years of herbicide spraying with dioxin-laden chemicals, roughly from the 1950s to the early 1980s.

Defoliant chemicals during that period were contaminated with a potent and highly toxic dioxin called 2,3,7,8-TCDD, which has been linked, at high exposures, to cancer, birth defects, immune system deficiencies and emotional problems.

Thompson said he hopes to have a compensation recommendation to take to the federal cabinet by late fall or the new year.

He said he is leaning towards a one-time, lump-sum payment following the example of compensation payments made to Hong Kong veterans.

In 1998, the Canadian government granted compensation of $24,000 to each surviving prisoner of war or widow for the forced labour Canadian servicemen endured while prisoners of the Japanese during the Second World War.

"That's the type of compensation package we would be looking at," Thompson said.

"It's not an admission of guilt by the government of Canada. It's based on compassion, not on raw data."

$24,000??  that is NOT compassion... that is about how much a yearly wage increase is for MPs... how about recognizing the damage to so many and their children, grandchildren with REAL compassion... not necessarily $s but an apology and maintaining a memorial to those that have died and will die due to this tragedy. $24,000 might just cover 1 or 2 yrs of medical bills for those that are still alive and require day-to-day assistance and the amount stated will likely be seen as adding insult to injury. We also feel concern to those that may be exposed to such chemicals in the future, if the government does not accept responsibility will this become an ongoing battle? Just adding my thoughts...

Public Meeting

Agent Orange Association of Canada

Dartmouth Sportsplex

Thistle Room

110 Wyse Rd

Dartmouth Nova Scotia

Saturday August 26, 2006

1:30 - 4:30 PM​

You are invited to meet with members of the Agent Orange Association of Canada for an informal gathering for conversation and refreshments.

This gathering will be of interest to individuals who may be suffering ill health from the more than 1.3 million litres and 2 million lbs of dry deadly chemical defoliants containing dioxin and hexachlorobenzene sprayed at CFB Gagetown new Brunswick between 1956 to 1984.

We look forward to meeting you.

www.agentorangealert.com

Sat Aug26 AOAC (AgentOrangeAssociation of Canada) had, what we feel was a very successful meeting during the morning and in the afternoon the public attendance was well over 70 persons that have been wanting information about this ongoing topic.
One main theme was concerning the news release of the BGAFFP (Base Gagetown and Area Fact-Finding Project)  http://www.basegagetownandareafactfindersproject.ca/index-e.html. The most recent news release has played down any health effects that may have been experienced by the victims. These newer releases have also stated that the areas of Gagetown, that are as much as 100 times the acceptable contamination, have been reopened because "they pose no health risk".

Talking with the 'older' people that remember the spraying, the smell of the chemicals, the sticky feel of the chemicals and the illnesses the victims report, it is clear that  disbelief is VERY strong. The main theme is still following the path of "DND is still trying to lie and deny, DND is in defensive mode concerning this problem". As time passes, I am sure more truth will be brought out since this 'problem' is not going to go away.... Sandy

PS: My posts are not advertisement or one sided, or at least I hope they are not... I am only wanting to pass on fact so each person can formulate their own thoughts... God Bless our Service Personnel and you doing an excellent job no matter what your tasking might be... God Bless all those that have lost a family member or friend or comrade in Afgan and I don't post my salutes but I do  :salute: each member that we carry home. Those that walk home each get a *hug* and I pray they can cope with the horrors they have shared with each other while serving.... GOD BLESS our service members....

Hi Everyone.  Haven't posted in awhile because I lost my password.  Leukemia is still stable (Thank God).  Have done my affadavit and such and just waiting.  I was talking to the Ex and he was refused DVA because they said Gagetown never caused his COPD.  Geez, he rolled around in those fields in the early and mid 60ties and again in the 70ties.  If anyone has any info regarding Agent Orange and COPD it would sure be appreciated.  He is looking for information.  Thanks much.  Hope everyone is coping well. 

I hope 'the Ex' stays his path to get the help he may need. Have you thought to contact those at AOAC http://www.agentorangealert.com/index.html  I have not seen any info concerning COPD but others may have...  One thing I have run into is that many older service members have obtained help from DVA due to the exposure to contaminants that may have been present in some of the smoke that was used during 'Smoke Hut Training' perhaps this is a path that the Ex could follow since I have no idea what was contained in the smoke that was produced for the training. I also think there are many more illnesses that can be attributed to the CHEMICALS that were sprayed at CFB Gagetown during the years of 1956-1984 than what DVA is looking at. All we have seen so far at AOAC, is that the government wants to ONLY consider the nick-named chemical combinations known as AgentOrange and AgentPurple that were sprayed in 1966 and 1967. There were many more chemicals sprayed, as has been proven, and these chemicals must all be looked at to get the true picture.

We, at AOAC (AgentOrangeAssociation of Canada), are recommending that DVA claimants use the words "Chemical Exposure" and NOT AgentOrange since there are many more chemicals involved with the 'Sprayings at CFB Gagetown'. Once a claim goes in with the words AgentOrange attached to it, DVA rejects because they have yet to recieve any guidance as to how or who to accept for assistance... Hopefully this will change in the future and the sooner the better.

It is good to hear that your Leukemia is still stable....  :)

Back