• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TF Cdr Reports Self for Possible Accidental Discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from the Canadian Press:
The commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan is being investigated after his assault rifle unexpectedly went off at Kandahar Airfield.

Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard says it's not been determined whether there was a malfunction - or whether it was an accidental discharge.

No one was hurt and nothing damaged in the March 25 incident, which Menard voluntarily disclosed to reporters Saturday night.

The general routinely travels outside of the wire, visiting troops at forward bases throughout Kandahar.

He wouldn't discuss details of the incident since it is under review by the military's National Investigative Service.

If it's found to be an accidental discharge, Menard as a general officer, faces an automatic court martial with the possibility of a fine.

The military takes weapons security seriously and Menard says he is no different than his soldiers and that's why he ordered the investigation on himself ....

Yon would have a field day with this - if he werent banned from Afghanistan.

tomahawk6 said:
First thing that crossed my mind when I heard it on a news channel.

This is an excellent case of leading by example. It sucks that this happened, but I give the man all the credit in the world for stepping up and taking responsibility for this.

Good for the Gen., we are all expected to stand up when we screw up, it it is always good to see someone doing exactly that (does not matter if it is a Pte or a Gen... It is a sign of honour, and respect to those they work for and with).

In other news... Yon is banned from Afghanistan?! I can't imagine why... I guess I missed it.

This, from the goofy headline department of the Cosmic Butterfly Corporation....
Afghan mission chief orders probe of himself

milnews.ca said:
This, from the goofy headline department of the Cosmic Butterfly Corporation....
Afghan mission chief orders probe of himself
Oh, if only I had a nickel for every time I ordered a probe of....whoa, wait a minute...not going there!

Why is it call called a Negligent discharge when troop does it, and accidental when a General does it?

Something like Crazy for the Poor, eccentric for the Rich.....

dileas

tess

Sorry to interject but who is "Yon" ? Can someone explain ? Just PM to keep the thread flowing

Halifax Tar said:
Sorry to interject but who is "Yon" ? Can someone explain ? Just PM to keep the thread flowing

In my Saturday haze, I was thinking the same thing too.

dileas

tess

tomahawk6 said:

Did this actually happen?

According to a comment towards the end of this page, it is true.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/under-cover-of-the-night/page-2.htm

Oh well that will be the first and last time I go to Yawn's yawnblog  :boring:  He is full of himself, a real "great I am".

Old Sweat said:
According to a comment towards the end of this page, it is true.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/under-cover-of-the-night/page-2.htm

here's what he says

On Saturday, 10 April, a message came from military that this embed has ended.  No reason was offered.  The troops here have no idea why.  On Sunday a reason was given: overcrowding by journalists.  Haven’t seen a journalist in weeks.

I had gone to great expense to be here with 5/2 Stryker Brigade Combat Team and promised to stay with them until they leave Afghanistan.  Then suddenly a nameless feature decided to pull the plug.  The decision likely came from General officer level.  It is a bad sign indicating that they think they are losing the war and don’t want anyone there to see it.  Saw this in Iraq.

It has been said that between Iraq and Afghanistan I’ve spent more time embedded with combat units than anyone in U.S. history.  I do not know if this is true but it sounds good.  It’s been a long journey and fortune favored my every step.  Many people have been killed or maimed and I am walking out without a scratch.  I will continue to cover the war but will not give the military another chance to pull the plug.  I will cover the war from outside the wire where it’s far safer.  Many people erroneously think that embedding is the safest way to cover the wars.  This is untrue.  Journalists who are afraid or reluctant to endure long periods of stress and combat will brag that going alone somehow seizes the high ground of truth.  There is no truth in this.  In many cases the journalists are missing crucial information because they fear the combat and the difficult living.  The infantry company on this mission has lost twelve comrades KIA during this tour, with others wounded for life.

It’s just as easy to accurately sense the direction of the war winds alone as with troops.  The military media machine is playing games during a time of war.

the 48th regulator said:
Why is it call called a Negligent discharge when troop does it, and accidental when a General does it?

Something like Crazy for the Poor, eccentric for the Rich.....

dileas

tess

There are still many who refer to it as an AD vice what it is - and ND, or a technical malfunction (very rare).  I hate the phrase "AD" - but imagine that calling it that in this case is case of ignorance rather than malfeasance

I don't know, it's a tough call.  I absolutely agree with you that if you look at every single case individually you will see that some negligence is involved...but overall if you were ask everyone in here honestly if they have ever had one I think they numbers would be pretty high.

Another matter altogether is to ask everyone on this board who has ever had one (and knew damn-well they had one) but were in some sort of environment where only friends were around and they didn't have the integrity to bring it up the chain of command until they were rightly charged.

I am of the belief that yes every soldier needs to be in control of his rifle, but his integrity means even more.  TFK Comd's integrity points will go up more than his fieldcraft stock will go down.

And at the end of the day, nobody is infallible in terms of mistakes.  However, there is a difference between making a mistake and doing wrong.*  To lie about it would have been to do wrong, and would not have been recoverable from.

*Note* Can't take credit for that line, it's from the new ethics pub "Duty With Discernment".

Why is the NIS involved?  When Machine Gun Pete had an ND with a Leopard C6 Coax in Kosovo in 2000 the NIS was not called in.  He was a LCol at the time, plead guilty, and received a $5000 fine. 

PPCLI Guy said:
There are still many who refer to it as an AD vice what it is - and ND, or a technical malfunction (very rare).  I hate the phrase "AD" - but imagine that calling it that in this case is case of ignorance rather than malfeasance

I usually refer to them as an Unauthorized Discharge while conducting the investigation. I hate doing those investigations, only done two so far... Hoping to keep it that way by judicious use of pre-training and enforcement of proper handling drills.

Like anyone, this General is a human, just like a Digger, and if it is proven he f'd up, just pay the Piper and carry on.

Let the investigation run it's course.

I am sure the media will ride this to the extreme, along with the leftist dogooders and certified shyte disturbers, who will all be foaming at their pathetic mouths.

Here we don't have ADs or NDs, we have UD's, and a protocol for such, which is actually listed in the pertinant weapons part of the EMEIs (Electrical and Mechanical engineering Instructions - our CFTOs). I've been involved in numerous investigations over the past 15 years on MAG 58, Minimi, and of course F88 (Steyr AUG family), all except one were operator fault.

OWDU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back