• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Terrorist Plot to Sabotage Canada-U.S. VIA Train Foiled

So he can now spend the rest of his life in the psychiatric ward of the prison.....

And bumped with the latest ...
A man found guilty of plotting to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. is seeking to appeal his sentence as well as his conviction.

A lawyer appointed to assist Chiheb Esseghaier says she told a court about his desire to broaden his appeal at a hearing Wednesday.

Erin Dann says Esseghaier will ask the Court of Appeal for Ontario to give him more time to file a notice of appeal against his life sentence.

Dann says that since filing his original notice of appeal over his conviction, Esseghaier has been treated for mental health issues and "now understands the severity of the sentence imposed."

Esseghaier and his co-accused, Raed Jaser, were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them.

They were sentenced to life in prison, with no chance of parole until 2023. Jaser is also appealing his conviction ...

7thghoul said:
Vince Li actually gives me the heebie jeebies dude. Can't believe he is out.

I'm not even associated with Tim's family and can only imagine the pain and sadness his mother endures every day, but I find the idea of Li getting a full discharge absolutely abhorrent.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
I'm not even associated with Tim's family and can only imagine the pain and sadness his mother endures every day, but I find the idea of Li getting a full discharge absolutely abhorrent.

Regards
G2G

Yet, when I made the comment a few days back that our Justice System often favours the Criminal over the Victims, the cries came out again about "Human Rights".  This is one of many cases, and unfortunately we are forced to live with them even though they are morally distasteful.

Medication be damned.  I would never be comfortable around Li or trust anyone else like him, should they be returned to society.  As far as I'm concerned he just one step away from going off meds and listening to those voices in his head once more.  Those voices need their tongues  cut out.

Vince Li = nightmare fuel. I can't buy a greyhound ticket without a tiny tinge of worry because of that one time someone got beheaded on the bus. I feel bad because there is, I believe, A very high chance (99.9% certain) that he is mentally ill and wasn't necessarily in control. BUT that lack of control itself should merit a life of segregation.

7thghoul said:
Vince Li actually gives me the heebie jeebies dude. Can't believe he is out.

He's now known as Will Baker. He's completely on his own and trusted to take his meds. The mental health advocates ....(and to a certain extent I
am one too).. .basically called all those who wanted Vince in a secure facility for life a bunch of uneducated ignorant hicks. I would far prefer him in a secure psychiatric facility than on the street. Compassion only goes so far before it becomes idiocy.

7thghoul said:
Vince Li = nightmare fuel.

Vince has his own nine-page thread,

Manitoba bus stabbing/ beheading
https://army.ca/forums/threads/78542.150

This makes it an even dozen,

'Hated' church group to protest Tim McLean funeral 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/78744.0
3 pages.

George Wallace said:
Yet, when I made the comment a few days back that our Justice System often favours the Criminal over the Victims, the cries came out again about "Human Rights".  This is one of many cases, and unfortunately we are forced to live with them even though they are morally distasteful.

Vince Lee wasn't convicted of a crime, so, that doesn't really make your argument.

jollyjacktar said:
Medication be damned.  I would never be comfortable around Li or trust anyone else like him, should they be returned to society.  As far as I'm concerned he just one step away from going off meds and listening to those voices in his head once more.  Those voices need their tongues  cut out.

The mania always returns if they go off their meds.  He should have been supervised for life at medication time.

jmt18325 said:
Vince Lee wasn't convicted of a crime, so, that doesn't really make your argument.

Let's not confuse legalities with realities.  The guy cut a person's head of on a bus and consumed part of him.  He shouldn't be wandering around free in society again.  Ever.

Eye In The Sky said:
Let's not confuse legalities with realities.  The guy cut a person's head of on a bus and consumed part of him.  He shouldn't be wandering around free in society again.  Ever.

If you read my next post, you'll see that I agree with you - I simply don't feel that his case is the right one with which to attack the justice system, since he did not remain in it in any meaningful way. 

Anyway, back to the topic.

jmt18325 said:
Not to be pickie, but where did I mention Vince Li or Lee?

Necrothread nudged with the latest ...
Ontario's highest court has granted a new trial for two men who were found guilty of terrorism charges after being accused of plotting to derail a Via Rail passenger train in the Greater Toronto Area.

The Court of Appeal for Ontario ordered Tuesday* that the 2015 convictions of Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier be set aside.

A new trial was ordered. The Public Prosecution Service of Canada confirmed in a statement** that it will proceed with a new trial.

Both men are still in custody, and will remain there unless they are released on a successful bail application, said Megan Savard, one of Jaser's lawyers.

His lawyers had argued in court earlier this year that the judge who oversaw the case made several errors, including rejecting their request as to the method of jury selection ...
* - Text of court decision attached.
** - Text of PPSC statement also attached.

Attachments

• ontariocourts.ca-R v Esseghaier 2019 ONCA 672.pdf
    128.7 KB · Views: 63
  • ppsc-sppc.gc.ca-PPSC will proceed with new trial in terrorism case.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 56
I hope they get found guilty again and don't see daylight for years (I'd prefer never...).  I am not a fan of our 'legal' system and all the technical loopholes POSs can find to get out of paying for their crimes.

Eye In The Sky said:
I hope they get found guilty again and don't see daylight for years (I'd prefer never...).  I am not a fan of our 'legal' system and all the technical loopholes POSs can find to get out of paying for their crimes.

EITS it’s an industry not a system.

Where people with sub normal IQs are sentenced to lengthy terms and the wealthy often see no jail time....am I a cynic?

Back