• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Taliban demands Karzai swap prisoners for Afghans

geo said:
Unfortunately for PBIs sake..... the answer would probably be... yes!

The sooner the TB are shown that this tactic does not work, the better.
(or do you have a DS solution to propose?)

No....unfortunately I don't have a better answer either.  I was just thinking about how difficult these decisions become when they are personal.  Biggest command burden going I guess - not offering yourself up as a sacrifice but demanding sacrifice of others.  :salute:

Kirkhill said:
geo - would you offer the same advice if it was pbi being held?

Ha!

Here's another thought: the use of deception to cause self-immolation. We might use the exchange of the Taelban to our advantage.

Events over the last few months have shown us that the Taleban leadership suspects or has evidence that they have been infiltrated. On two separate occasions that I have read of, they have purged numbers of suspected "traitors and spies". A basic principle of deception is to play to what the target is already inclined to believe, or tyyo his worst fear. So, I would begin a deception campaign, using various sources and creating various "evidence" through credible channels to suggest that key Taleban figures held in custody have been turned. (actually persuading some to turn would be even better..). Then, do the exchange. If the deception campaign is managed properly, I think that there is a very good chance that the released Taleban will shortly be purged as well. Besides ridding ourselves of two more baddies, it might also begin to raise doubts in the minds of the remaining prisoners as to the wisdom of actually going back to the "homies". Of course, it might fail, too. There is risk in doing anything or in doing nothing. But it strikes me that we will only defeat these people by exploiting their weaknesses, not by smashing headlong into their strengths.

Cheers

The British were very successful in turning CT’s in Malaysia, which had a major impact on the insurgency. It would be less successful with the hardcore Taliban. But I do like the idea for lesser fish and for “tainting” the hardcore types so they are viewed with suspicion.

pbi said:
Ha!
Here's another thought: the use of deception to cause self-immolation. We might use the exchange of the Taelban to our advantage.

... But I was counting on your self immolation ;)

There is a need to prove to the taliban that the concept of kidnapping citzens & guest workers is bad for their health.  Short of having some of our guys walking into their ranks with a Kamikaze vest (= quid pro quo) the only alternative that these jokers will understand is out saying "no!"

.... Wonder if surgicaly implanting a GPS responder on the TB hostages would be an option???

Back