• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical pants - ticks

Gunnar

Reaction score
On a recent trip to the Land of Ticks, it occurred to me that lightweight, light-covered pants similar to our uniform pants, which included the extra dust flaps might provide pretty good protection/prevention against those bloodsucking little buggers, as well as being comfortable, and the light colour required for easy detection/removal. Can anyone make any recommendations on such a solution, and if it makes any difference? I like the idea of tactical pants cuz big pockets are kinda easy to get used to, but I dunno if that’s what I need for working in the bush. Any suggestions?

Virginia says hold my beer.
Growing up in the semi-arid grasslands of British Columbia, every spring I would get the “if you’re walking through grass, check for ticks” lecture. After spending an entire day trekking through the grass, I would usually find a grand total of two tick on me. I usually didn’t see a tick after mid June.

Since I move to Manitoba, if I step off the pavement or trail for any longer than 5 minutes, I’m picking the buggers off of me for the rest of the day. And I’m doing this through August as well. If Virginia is worse, I’ll strike that off my bucket list!

Growing up in the semi-arid grasslands of British Columbia, every spring I would get the “if you’re walking through grass, check for ticks” lecture. After spending an entire day trekking through the grass, I would usually find a grand total of two tick on me. I usually didn’t see a tick after mid June.

Since I move to Manitoba, if I step off the pavement or trail for any longer than 5 minutes, I’m picking the buggers off of me for the rest of the day. And I’m doing this through August as well. If Virginia is worse, I’ll strike that off my bucket list!
Wearing Crye pants with the Velcro closure on the leg/ankle area secured - shooting on a gravel and concrete range. Plus putting a bug repellent oil on my legs prior- and a bug spray on my pants, socks and boots.
I had 11 ticks on me one day.
I legit don’t understand how they even got to me, let alone managed to crawl inside my clothes.
I wasn’t even in grass or within 10m of grass.

Some under the ‘compression shorts’ underwear I was wearing. Nothing like picking several off ones scrotum after a few hours of range time…

Even mowing my lawn (which is also sprayed for insects) I always get several on me.

Virginia is to ticks like Northern Ontario is to mosquitoes…

The entire East coast, but especially Aberdeen, Forts AP Hill, and double especially Dix (or whatever the long name is) has no wildlife but ticks from what I saw. You could count a dozen just crawling around on the ground you in Dix

Crye pants?
I have a bunch of various colors - and where free ;)
They have a lot of pockets and the option for the integral knee pads, so they make good range clothes.

East Coast for what its worth. Found one in my navel recently. Persistent little fuggers.
They love crooks and crevices.
So the groin and rear end tend to be targets for them.

I have a bunch of various colors - and where free ;)
They have a lot of pockets and the option for the integral knee pads, so they make good range clothes.

They love crooks and crevices.
So the groin and rear end tend to be targets for them.
They like warm places - groin, buttcrack, armpits, head and neck.

Used to see a lot of ticks on Vancouver Island when I was in the Reserves there - in fact led to a lecture I'd give people regarding tick removal using something heated...one fellow thought that if a lit cigarette was good, his Bic lighter on "Flame Thrower" setting would have to better and not only gave his fire team partner a 2nd degree burn to the side of their neck, the tick turned to charcoal and then dust as I tried to extract it :rolleyes: .

Spanx? The imagination reels. 😁
Actually Under Armor. When I got my vasectomy, I needed tight fitting underwear to hold everything still and up close — they actually are decently comfortable for range activities etc where one doesn’t want ones junk hanging out where a piece of door or window frame etc might grab hold.

But the Ticks - they don’t care they just drive right by, and I suspect find everything close by more inviting.

Back