• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical Aircraft Security Officer ( TASO )

Not now I guess. Thought they were before.

Weird to see plate carriers with no plates and virtually zero pouches and then paired with low profile soft armour for some. Interesting set ups.

What’s with the fuckin hats? 🙄

High speed/low drag?

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Maybe the MP folks should have checked that ASO didn’t already exist in the RCAF.

It does; Acoustic Sensor Operator. Been around for decades (used to be Acoustic Sensor Officer when Navs owned the acoustics seats on Auroras).

🤙🏻 Nicely done! 😂

Can’t wait for CJOC to start tasking ASOs…someone will be expecting a MP version to show up and instead will get a sleepy dude with peanut butter toast breathe who wants to talk RGMRs and dynamic events. And wants to know where the toaster is…”you guys got any peanut butter?”.

Last edited:
Urban legend has it that the Hercs used to carry a vacuum cleaner hose to plug into the sextant mount and clean up the cockpit when they were bored. As the legend goes a stop was put to it when they realized they were abrading the leading edge of the tail plane with whatever garbage they were sucking out...

Realizing the above post is 4+ years on…

No urban legend for the Auroras. In the back of the aircraft in Ordinance (where we launch internal search stores) we have something called a GP Chute (General Purpose Chute). On the chute cover, there is a purpose build vacuum hose attachment. The vacuum is long enough to reach right into the flight deck and has a filter on it. Basically, attach the hose, turn the nozzle to open on the GP chute and we’re vacuuming at altitude well above 20,000 feet most times. All we are really doing it opening a small hole in the pressurized tube and voila. Vacuum power.

We also crack that vacuum nozzle open to vent the cordite fumes when we’re dropping sonos from internal stores. Helps to keep from turning the aircraft into a vomit comet.

Zero aircraft lost doing this from catastrophic fuselage failures.

Maybe the MP folks should have checked that ASO didn’t already exist in the RCAF.

It does; Acoustic Sensor Operator. Been around for decades (used to be Acoustic Sensor Officer when Navs owned the acoustics seats on Auroras).
Just following the international military tradition of using the same acronym to mean multiple different things. e.g. SAR

Although the thought of someone screwing up a CFTPO and getting one of these guys to try and hunt subs is hilarious. Equally hilarious - having an Acoustician show up by accident for air marshal duties.

Just following the international military tradition of using the same acronym to mean multiple different things. e.g. SAR

Although the thought of someone screwing up a CFTPO and getting one of these guys to try and hunt subs is hilarious. Equally hilarious - having an Acoustician show up by accident for air marshal duties.
Perhaps, to exclude this happening, they could be called Acoustic Sensor Submarine Hunting Operators/Locating Experts.

Pointing out to an Air Nav Colonel that he'd been replaced by 25% of my cell phone made for an interesting PER season.

A few hours in a CR2.1 Cyclone in the TAC chair or BIV Aurora doing Comms (MNS, CNS, Link, VPN comms/ log keeping etc) or the TacNav chair will quickly deflate that myth though! 😁

Pointing out to an Air Nav Colonel that he'd been replaced by 25% of my cell phone made for an interesting PER season.
Do you really want to advance? With greater responsibility comes greater pressure/bullshyte ,and I am certain that you will not suffer fools. It becomes a trade off, blood pressure vs pragmatism. I chose pragmatism, I suggest you do the same.; you are THAT close to retiring. Moreover. dirt on the stupid people is always funny and apparently un-ceasing.

Well, sure... that ACSO will be so busy prepping coffee for the AESOPs they'll be fully occupied.

That's the abbreviation, right? Air Coffee Service Officer?
That totally depends on the fleet.

Some fleets, they aren't super busy. Some, they are the busiest person, per flight hour, in the airplane.

That totally depends on the fleet.

Some fleets, they aren't super busy. Some, they are the busiest person, per flight hour, in the airplane.
Yup, not very busy in the 146 & 147… 😜

I spent an entire day in a C2 course trying to figure out why they kept talking about Air to Air Refueling… they were talking about After Action Reports.

Back