• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is actually somewhat more detailed... :)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about/statement-of-defence-ethics.page

Anyone who's  been in uniform has gotten those change rooms/change buildings orders where someone is panicking that the world will end if you don't move in the next two hours.  Naturally people will bitch about it and then move cause really at the end of the day it's just dragging some kit around.

The thing with this I think is the bad optics to the public.  They don't see  someone moving their shit across a street to a new building they read about Canadian soldiers being evicted from where they are living and given 3 days notice.  I'm not a smart dude but even I could for see the bad optics of that without putting  out some kind of PR statement. 
The Cf is crazy about social media and how many hits stuff get in twitter and Facebook,  it's like they are shooting  themselves in the foot with this.  People  (civilians)  are pretty pissed off.  We could have mitigated this with more information.

When the refugees come I hope they tell everyone the horror stories of what they seen and have been through,  maybe the government will be more inclined to increase our presence there.

Jarnhamar said:
I'm not a smart dude but even I could for see the bad optics of that .....
Careful, you could end up getting punted into the Public Affairs world.  ;D

Oh...and you know I think you're a pretty smart dude.  ;)

The "story," DND's side of the story, anyway, is starting to come our ... piecemeal.

I think everyone should have anticipated the media's reaction (and the ill-informed/uninformed service members' reactions, too) to the rumours that people were going to be evicted. I think the government PR machine missed a beat here ... perhaps because it is so very, very new. Perhaps they thought that the overwhelming majority of Canadians would just assume that the CF could do this (whatever "this" is) without any fuss or bother, but the mainstream media found a "story;" it was there, for the looking, on social media I'm told (I, apparently, don't subscribe to the right "sources," or so an acquaintance who works in the media tells me.) It appears that DND is now "scrambling" to set the record straight when I think the government, the political centre, would have wished for an active* response to the minister's statement that refugees would be held on military bases; maybe that was wishful thinking on the government's part ...

The mainstream media is not anti-Liberal (yet) or anti-refugee (yet). Reporters, however, want their story to be "above the fold" or they want their 30 seconds of "on the air" time and so they look for cracks in any and all programmes and then they try to drive wedges into those cracks by quoting poorly sourced rumours (and, in fairness, they identify them as such) and then wait for more. It;'s a good tactic and, in this case, it worked.

____
* As opposed to reactive

E.R. Campbell said:
The "story," DND's side of the story, anyway, is starting to come our ... piecemeal.

I think everyone should have anticipated the media's reaction (and the ill-informed/uninformed service members' reactions, too) to the rumours that people were going to be evicted. I think the government PR machine missed a beat here ... perhaps because it is so very, very new. Perhaps they thought that the overwhelming majority of Canadians would just assume that the CF could do this (whatever "this" is) without any fuss or bother, but the mainstream media found a "story;" it was there, for the looking, on social media I'm told (I, apparently, don't subscribe to the right "sources," or so an acquaintance who works in the media tells me.) It appears that DND is now "scrambling" to set the record straight when I think the government, the political centre, would have wished for an active* response to the minister's statement that refugees would be held on military bases; maybe that was wishful thinking on the government's part ...

The mainstream media is not anti-Liberal (yet) or anti-refugee (yet). Reporters, however, want their story to be "above the fold" or they want their 30 seconds of "on the air" time and so they look for cracks in any and all programmes and then they try to drive wedges into those cracks by quoting poorly sourced rumours (and, in fairness, they identify them as such) and then wait for more. It;'s a good tactic and, in this case, it worked.

____
* As opposed to reactive

It was the number one trending news story on my facebook yesterday. 

The optics of this are terrible.  Especially with a 600 bed Kingston Pen sitting empty on the Kingston waterfront. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
It was the number one trending news story on my facebook yesterday. 

The optics of this are terrible.  Especially with a 600 bed Kingston Pen sitting empty on the Kingston waterfront.

The "optics" of putting refugees in an old, 19th century, penitentiary that was too bad for Canada's worst convicts would be far, far worse ...

E.R. Campbell said:
The "optics" of putting refugees in an old, 19th century, penitentiary that was too bad for Canada's worst convicts would be far, far worse ...

Would it be though?  I've heard many people in Kingston suggesting it.  It would also fulfill the Whole of Government Approach  8)

Disclaimer - I agree we shouldn't put them in an old prison but I also think CFB Kingston hasn't done the best job, nobody has a smick what the heck is going on around here.  The base commander should have a town hall to clear the air.

Humphrey Bogart said:
Would it be though?  I've heard many people in Kingston suggesting it.  It would also fulfill the Whole of Government Approach  8)

Disclaimer - I agree we shouldn't put them in an old prison but I also think CFB Kingston hasn't done the best job, nobody has a smick what the heck is going on around here.  The base commander should have a town hall to clear the air.

I think it goes higher than the base commander. Speculating here, but there may well have been direction prohibiting public announcements or disclosure of details until the Minister of Immigration and Refugees provides details of the plan later today. Good, well okay not bad intentions, but lousy unexpected consequences.

In the meantime, the troops are not gruntled (opposite of disgruntled and probably not a real word.)

Old Sweat said:
I think it goes higher than the base commander. Speculating here, but there may well have been direction prohibiting public announcements or disclosure of details until the Minister of Immigration and Refugees provides details of the plan later today. Good, well okay not bad intentions, but lousy unexpected consequences.

In the meantime, the troops are not gruntled (opposite of disgruntled and probably not a real word.)

Nobody has been muzzled.  A plan was circulated around a week ago via email but none of that was ever communicated to the troops.  Another case of leadership by email. 

Also, you can clear the air without divulging too much information.

Old Sweat said:

Here's the problem in a nutshell:
1.  The CAF is still under the writ period from the election.  One of the main reasons for this is the extended delay in the ministers sorting out their staff (hires and such) and being able to come out with a comms plan for both the GoC as a whole and then its smaller organizations (like CAF, Tpt Can, etc.).  Until that PAG is developed and released, the CAF has to get approvals at the highest levels for the simplest of media opportunities.

2.  The CAF is not the lead in this, so it isn't up to us to announce anything, and especially not first, to the media.

3.  The overall plan has yet to be released, which is also why it hasn't been shared completely with units on bases/within CAF that don't have a direct impact on the whole affair.  And because of the sensitivity of the whole thing, there are a very limited number of people who have seen any of the plans out there.

It's fine to suggest a town hall, but then soldiers go home and tell their spouses, who tell their families, who post it on FB and suddenly the 'might happen' becomes ' is happening.'  And it's hard to turn off that tap once it starts going.

Strike said:
1.  The CAF is still under the writ period from the election.  One of the main reasons for this is the extended delay in the ministers sorting out their staff (hires and such) and being able to come out with a comms plan for both the GoC as a whole and then its smaller organizations (like CAF, Tpt Can, etc.).  Until that PAG is developed and released, the CAF has to get approvals at the highest levels for the simplest of media opportunities.

2.  The CAF is not the lead in this, so it isn't up to us to announce anything, and especially not first, to the media.

3.  The overall plan has yet to be released, which is also why it hasn't been shared completely with units on bases/within CAF that don't have a direct impact on the whole affair.  And because of the sensitivity of the whole thing, there are a very limited number of people who have seen any of the plans out there.

It's fine to suggest a town hall, but then soldiers go home and tell their spouses, who tell their families, who post it on FB and suddenly the 'might happen' becomes ' is happening.'  And it's hard to turn off that tap once it starts going.

Thanks, Strike, that makes perfect sense: no Public Affairs Guidance ... yet; DND is not the lead; and the "plan," such as it is is on close hold. It is a recipe for media (and general) speculation and it allows the media to make the CF leadership look less than stellar ... even if that is not the intent.

Strike said:

All good points.  I've been privy (like many here) to bits and pieces but have no idea about the larger plan or even how those bits and pieces fit in it.  I can surmise but that can lead to false info and what not.

I think that Bogarts suggestion of a town hall is more along the lines of letting the troops know that stuff might happen and that there may or may not be some disruption and that they are being counted on to be flexible and professional.  Eevn just stating that they haven't received any orders or instructions but to be prepared should that happen.  It may not seem like much but even something that vague can put them in right mind set should something happen.

E.R. Campbell said:
Thanks, Strike, that makes perfect sense: no Public Affairs Guidance ... yet; DND is not the lead; and the "plan," such as it is is on close hold. It is a recipe for media (and general) speculation and it allows the media to make the CF leadership look less than stellar ... even if that is not the intent.

And already social media and those against bringing in refugee are talking about this making soldiers and veterans homeless... ::)

Remius said:
All good points.  I've been privy (like many here) to bits and pieces but have no idea about the larger plan or even how those bits and pieces fit in it.  I can surmise but that can lead to false info and what not.

I think that Bogarts suggestion of a town hall is more along the lines of letting the troops know that stuff might happen and that there may or may not be some disruption and that they are being counted on to be flexible and professional.  Eevn just stating that they haven't received any orders or instructions but to be prepared should that happen.  It may not seem like much but even something that vague can put them in right mind set should something happen.

:goodpost:

It's called a warning order and it's a proven way of doing business.

Lets leave the smoke and mirrors to the politicians.

Strike said:

But that's exactly what happened.

Jarnhamar said:
But that's exactly what happened.
But now, because the official word isn't out yet, only tidbits, rumour, hearsay and RUMINT is getting back to the families and comment boards ;D

All joking aside, thanks, Strike, for showing an important part of the REST of the story explaining the dribbling flow of information outwards in some quarters.

milnews.ca said:
But now, because the official word isn't out yet, only tidbits, rumour, hearsay and RUMINT is getting back to the families and comment boards ;D

All joking aside, thanks, Strike, for showing an important part of the REST of the story explaining the dribbling flow of information outwards in some quarters.

The media blackout deals with external communication from the department.  Internal communication is totally fine. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
The media blackout deals with external communication from the department.  Internal communication is totally fine.

Except that there are several departments involved and, even with a new government, there is probably still that hesitancy to share between agencies before the full go-ahead is given.

Old Sweat said:
gruntled (opposite of disgruntled and probably not a real word.)

I first heard it, from my first father-in-law, in 1978.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back