• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer Training (Reserves) Pay

Meridian

Inactive
Reaction score
Simple question that I havent found anywhere yet.... maybe its too simple :)

Anyway:

If I am trying to calculate approximately how much summer training pays for reservists... do I simply take the the daily rate for X rank and multiply it by the number of days on course, minus weekends?

Or is there some other rate or formula I should consider?
(Obviously taxes and all that comes off, but Im speaking generally here)

I suspect summer training usually has weekends off?

Also, do Reservists get field training allowance?

Since when you're on course as a reservist you're on something called a 'Class B' contract, you get paid for each day from the 1st to the last day of your course. So for example, if your course is from june 29th to august 20th, you'll get paid for everyday in between (including weekends- whether you're technically 'working' or not)

To figure out that amount just multiply the number of days by the daily pay for your rank (probably 71-ish bucks, if you're just joining). Then subtract taxes.

On top of this, you get a TD claim (sorry I forget what TD stands for.) But it's pretty much meant to cover expenses for when you're away from home- I believe it's something like 16 or 18 bucks a day for the first 30 days and then goes down to 12 a day after that. (If that's wrong feel free to correct me anyone.) You get it in the form of a whopping deposit into your account about a month after your course finishes (depending on how keen your OR is) You get field pay (I hink 16 bucks a day) when you're out in the field.

Hope that clears the mud a little.

Well I made $2,600 for 1 month on class B this summer if it helps.  (pte basic pay)

Yeah, I'm pre-budgeting the cost of LWOP from my civvy job. vs income from an entry rank pay. :)

thnx!

TD stands for temporary duty and it's just over $17/day.

For those of you teaching weekend courses, you might be interested to know that you're also supposed to receive TD for class A contracts.  If your unit doesn't do it automaticaly, talk to your clerks.

Just to clarify, TD pay is 17.30 per day for the first 30 days.   Afterwards, it's reduced to $13 per day.   This is a non-taxable amount.

Field Operations Allowance (FOA) is $16.41 per day and is taxable.   This is given when you're in the field...ie. NOT in shacks but using you're half shelter/arctic tent/bivy bag/etc.

Sig Bloggins purrty much summed it up for Class B contract:

Days X Rate - Taxes/Fees + FOA = Income on RPSR pay statement (Revised Pay System for the Reserves)

Then after you get back from crse and hand in all your paperwork (ie. route letter, claims), you'll receive your TD pay and other claims (baggage, meals, etc.) later on...which won't show up on your pay statement.   P.S.   by meals I mean the one's that you had to pay for yourself that should've been covered by the army.

edit
mixed up which one was taxable vs. non...thanx 48th

Hey dingbat, you got it backwards.  TD is non-taxable, FOA IS taxable.

One thing that was not mentioned, if it was, I'm sorry I missed it, but TD and FOA cannot be claimed for the same day. You get one or the other, but not both.

Ty
:cdn:

You asked about usually getting weekends off. When I was on my BMQ and SQ this past summer, we were Confined to Base(CBed) for the first two weekends. The order came from brigade and I think the idea is to give you a bit more cock.

Hey Bkells we had three weeks confinedment, then we had to work for it. But you're right it's from higher up.

Back