• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suggestion for Coyotes

Retired AF Guy said:
A friend of mine here in Kingston (On) uses a 22-250 and managed to takeout 11 Willies in one day. Longest shot was 600 + yds.
600 + yards?? Not very sporting IMO.
Even with a 10 mph cross wind  the bullet drift would be (depending on actual round used) somewhere from  aprox. 28"-40" @ 500 yards.
Bullet drop when zero'd for 200 yards would be between aprox. 34" - 42" @ 500 yards.
How accurate is his range estimation and/or judgment of hold over and offset?  Even 25 yards off @ 600 yards on range estimation would mean a complete miss or even worse a wounding shot & not a clean kill.
When hunting game anything short of a clean kill is not sporting. At 600 yards with a 22-250 way too many variables come in to play to make this a sporting venture.

A lot of folks like the .204, but I like carrying the .223 or 5.56 with hollowpoint ammunition, due to the mountain lions.  Rattlers are also a problem, so I carry two rounds of snakeload in my .357, then 4 rounds of JHP. 

0tto Destruct said:
Dude, when the Zombie Apocalypse finally happens, I'm headed to your place...

Just make sure not to walk slowly, with arms extended, groaning and saying "braiiiinnss". Even as a practical joke.

My :2c: .222 Rem and .223 work well out west here, both fairly flat shooting. With .243 and .270, gotta look at price sometimes, ammo has gone up over the past while, so unless you're loading your own it can get a little ickey at the cash register. I've just bought a .204 Ruger on a savage stock. Nice heavy barrel. 4x12x40 Leopold. At 4200 fps mv it's fairly flat shooting out to 500 m and stops 'yotes cold. Shooting prone off a rest using the rangefinder has worked pretty well. At 200 m and in I've got a .17HMR that is really impressive. Runs out at 2550 fps, what a hard hitter. Front end and base of the neck hits drop 'em right now. ;D. Calving and lambing time out on the ranches and farms are good times to see lots of coyotes.

NavyShooter said:
Inside the armoury....    ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Gunroom.JPG

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pure awesomeness.

Back