• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stupid 3D movies

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Is anyone else tired of movies coming out JUST in 3D?

I'm not too sure the allure of 3D movies.

-It raises price up of the already expensive trip to the movies. It's hard to go for under $30
-The glasses are cheap, uncomfortable and smudge when you even think of touching them. Once you try and clean them they never go back to being smudge free.
-It's annoying watching movies with those dumb glasses on.
-Lots of movies ONLY come out in 3D and don't give the option of non-3D.
-3D doesn't really make THAT much of a difference (personal opinion) after 5 minutes I forget it's even 3d. The odd scene something might pop out a little.

There's been quite a few movies lately that I've wanted to see but didn't go because it played in 3D only.

While I do agree with you, I understand why there is such an emphasis on 3D from the film industry. Companies can raise prices because of costs of making 3D movies, but the vast majority of these films are post converted and that doesn't really warrant the extra 5 bucks (at least where I live).

However, it does help the companies fight piracy. It's nearly impossible for someone to film a 3D movie with their camera, so you won't see as many cams online.

Unless you just put the glasses on your camera. Would that even work?

Jakinder said:
Unless you just put the glasses on your camera. Would that even work?

Yes.

While I agree a lot of the movies in 3D are stupid (namely those converted from 2D) I think real 3D film making is beautiful to watch, and it adds an extra dimension that cinematographers can play with to manipulate our emotions and suspend our disbelief.

While you might forget you're watching 3D five minutes after it starts, that's a good thing, it shouldn't draw attention to itself. It should just feel more real.

I for one will always go see a film that was filmed in 3D in 3D if I have the option. Most of the ones converted from 2D to 3D are movies not worth watching anyway.

Snaketnk said:
Yes.

While I agree a lot of the movies in 3D are stupid (namely those converted from 2D) I think real 3D film making is beautiful to watch, and it adds an extra dimension that cinematographers can play with to manipulate our emotions and suspend our disbelief.

While you might forget you're watching 3D five minutes after it starts, that's a good thing, it shouldn't draw attention to itself. It should just feel more real.

I for one will always go see a film that was filmed in 3D in 3D if I have the option. Most of the ones converted from 2D to 3D are movies not worth watching anyway.

The first 3D movie I saw was John Carter [of Mars] and while I had my doubts, I enjoyed it. Yes, there were some scenes where 3D doesn't work (mostly action scenes with lots of fast movement), but in other scenes the 3D effects were quite impressive.

Before the movie they had a trailer for an animated film about a bunch animals being chased threw France and the 3D effects looked very good. After seeing that trailer I wish, in hindsight, I had seen TinTin in 3D rather 2D.

I simply won't view movies that come out in 3D only. Mostly for many of the reasons others have mentioned above. Instead, if the movie is one I think I might like, I will rent or buy it when it comes out on DVD and enjoy it as a 2D in my own home.

Best 3D movies:

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Make sure you are sitting fairly far from the screen. Also, next time make sure you are either at an IMAX screen or Ultra AVX screen (in major cities these theaters usually have reserved seating as well), those are the best and nothing compares. Oh... And when you put the glasses in front of a camera, that does not work, at all.

Back