• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stephen Harper pledges expansion of military reserves

cupper said:
That would be a big resounding no.

<snip>

In order to resuscitate Cornwallis you'd essentially need to build an entirely new base.

If a government ever needed to  buy votes, building a new base in Canada would be a novel promise.

A little more information from the Globe and Mail.  Growing the reserve to 125% of its current authorized strength is not a new promise; it is an undelivered promise from the last election.

I do wonder about the money.  The article talks about the reserve budget as though it were something separate from the defence budget.  Will the additional 6000 reservists be paid through growth in the defence budget, or by taking money from elsewhere in the defence budget?

I also wonder where the new wildfire-fighter and flood response training will fit in the annual training calendar.  What drops out to fit these ideas in? 

In a more positive note, the article suggests that meaningful reforms to the PRes structure may indeed have been put on hold by the military until after the election.  A course of action I previously suggested might be wise.

Harper promises to strengthen Canadian Armed Forces reserve program
KRISTY KIRKUP, The Canadian Press
The Globe and Mail
17 Aug 2015

FREDERICTON - After years of budget cuts and neglect, Stephen Harper pledged Monday to bolster the ranks of the country’s citizen soldiers.

He vowed a re-elected Conservative government would add 6,000 reservists to the military, bringing the total number of part-time soldiers to 30,000 — a figure the prime minister initially promised back in 2008 when the country’s defence strategy was unveiled.

The government never hit that target, despite the fact reservists play an integral role in deployments, such as the war in Afghanistan, where they made up as much as 20 per cent of the battle groups that fought the Taliban.

Harper also said he would bolster training for reservists to respond to domestic emergencies such as floods and forest fires. The promise meshes with a flood of pre-election infrastructure announcements by Conservative MPs for the refurbishment of local armouries across the country, many of which have been in need of repairs for years.

“Ensuring the Canadian Armed Forces have the tools and the people they need has always been a top priority for our government,” said Harper. “Others would make very different choices — wrong choices, frankly irresponsible choices.”

Harper tried to cast himself on Monday as the military’s true defender on the national scene.

“I don’t have to tell you that the lack of true respect for our military and the true appreciation for the absolute necessity of the work — it does still linger in some parts of Ottawa.”

The Conservatives say the recruiting of more part-time soldiers will cost $163-million over three years, and $63.4-million going forward once the target is reached.

The injection of cash comes after years of reductions in which the budget for reserves reduced by as much as 25 per cent. Throughout the last eight years, a sizable portion of the roughly $330-million set aside for part-timers went to reservists, who were called up to full-time duty and worked at National Defence headquarters in Ottawa.

In 2010, the budget situation was so bad at one point the reserves were required to cease training for a short time.

In 2013, the Harper government ordered National Defence to come up with a new funding model and to rebalance the distribution of reservists among the different branches — a program that was supposed to be in place last spring.

But a series of documents obtained through the Access to Information Act, released and reported on by The Canadian Press last winter, show the initiative has ground to a halt.

The plan was politically sensitive given the fact reserve units are sprinkled in 100 communities across the country and any proposed re-organization had the potential to generate a backlash.

“It is relevant and necessary to communicate the ongoing changes, as they will affect a large population of the (Canadian Armed Forces), both primary reserve and regular force, future recruits and public perception,” says an undated communications plan, released under access to information.

The documents also referenced polling data that suggest Canadians are in favour of funding cuts to the defence budget, as long as they don’t impact the military’s ability to respond to domestic natural disasters.

“While the issue of reserve employment can be considered to have a low profile in the public domain, major changes to policies governing the reserves will likely garner significant media attention,” the document said.

Harper has hit the Maritimes to try and shore up support for local candidates. Conservative incumbent Keith Ashfield is looking to hold on to the riding of Fredericton.

Ashfield joined Harper and his wife Laureen at an event this morning where they met with a group of about 20 veterans.

A small group of anti-Conservative protesters gathered outside of the Royal Canadian Legion, where the event was held.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-promises-to-strengthen-canadian-armed-forces-reserve-program/article25989846/

milnews.ca said:
This, from the official party news release (also attached if link doesn't work)
.... The Prime Minister outlined several distinct components of the plan to strengthen the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve Force:
•Accelerating the expansion of the Primary Reserve from 24,000 personnel currently to reach 30,000 within the next mandate ....
Sound familiar?
E.R. Campbell said:
Here* is the Conservative Party’s platform.

".... A re-elected Conservative Government led by Stephen Harper will continue rebuilding the Canadian Forces and providing the equipment that our Navy, Army and Air Force require. We are committed to a Canada First Defence Strategy that will provide predictable growth for Canada's defence budget, increase the size of our forces to 70,000 regular and 30,000 reserves ...."
More from the Toronto Star here.

* - That link doesn't work anymore, but this one to an uploaded-and-stored copy does.

FortYorkRifleman said:
My understanding is that the reserves are meant to augment the Regular Force...

Unless they are also planning on chaging the role of the PRes, this is not actually their purpose.

The purpose of the PRes is to provide a strategic reserve, so that in case of an actual war, we already have the infrastrutre, units, chains of command, etc. to expand the military to meet the threat.

E.g. If WW3 broke out, you wouldn't need to creat new infantry regiments, you would just expand the reserve regiments and send them off to war.

CTV offers some analysis, but not anything I would call conclusive.

Fact check: Would expansion of military reserves be beneficial?
Angela Mulholland
CTV News
18 Aug 2015

The Conservatives are pledgingto bolster the ranks of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves, saying that doing so will help Canada’s military draw on the many skills of Canadians working in the private sector who want to help out our country’s full-time soldiers.

Here’s a look at what the Conservatives are promising and what insiders are saying about their plans.

Conservatives promise to expand reserves personnel

Harper said Monday that a re-elected Conservative government would add 6,000 more reservists to bolster the total number of Canada’s part-time soldiers to 30,000.

This is not the first time Harper has made this promise. When the Conservatives were first elected in 2008, they unveiled the Canada First Defence strategy in which they committed to increase the size of both the regular forces and the reserves by 2028.

The government has yet to make good on that promise, but now they are promising to accelerate the reserves expansion, to boost their numbers to 30,000 “within the next mandate.”

As for the regular armed forces, the Conservatives have offered no promises.

Conservatives vow to “streamline and shorten the current reserve recruiting process"

The Conservatives say they will shorten the reservist recruitment process, broaden the eligibility criteria “to tap into a deeper pool of recruits with more diverse skills and talent.”

Many say these change are badly needed, as reservists are leaving the force faster than new members can be recruited. Many in the military point to a cumbersome and slow application that seems to only favours “the best and the brightest,” leading to an intake process for most applicants that can drag on for months.

David Perry, a senior analyst at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute, tells CTV’s Canada AM that many Canadians consider joining the reserves because they want to help their fellow Canadians, while still holding onto their day jobs. “They are motivated by a desire to offer service to their country,” he said.

But he said many potential reservists have to wait seven months or longer to hear if they have been accepted. By then, many lose interest and decide to move on with their lives.

Conservatives pledge to improve training for reservists to respond to domestic emergencies

Perry says this would likely be a good idea, since he believes that reservists need to have more dedicated, strategic roles.

Reservists already do the majority of their work in Canada, helping communities deal with natural disasters, such as floods or fires, although they can also volunteer for missions overseas.

Perry says it sounds as though the Conservatives want to ensure that reservists receive more specific training so they can to respond to national emergencies, ensuring, for example, that they receive baseline forest firefighting training. That would make better use of their skills, said Perry.

“The point would be you could get them right out on the frontlines quicker,” he said.

Conservatives say they are dedicated to supporting the reserves

Harper said in his announcement Monday that since his party was elected, “we have taken many steps to repair the damage done to our Canadian Armed Forces and to rebuild and extend their ability to operate.”

Many military analysts say the opposite is true and that the Conservatives have actually slashed funding for the reserves, particularly since the end of the military operation in Afghanistan.

Andrew Leslie, a retired lieutenant-general who is running for the Liberals in Orleans, Ont., told The Canadian Press that the budget cuts are the reason that the reserves have been allowed to dwindle to just 24,000 members.

He told CP he was incredulous of Harper's announcement.

"How dare he?" Leslie said. "Since the end of combat operations in Afghanistan, Mr. Harper has decimated the reserves."

He said the the budget for part-time soldiers is so low, at one point the reserves were required to stop training for a short time. Leslie also tweeted Monday: “Fact: reservists have had funding cut by 33% since 2011 by @pmharper. Conclusion: Mr. Harper announcement today is deceitful.”

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/election/fact-check-would-expansion-of-military-reserves-be-beneficial-1.2521946

E.g. If WW3 broke out, you wouldn't need to creat new infantry regiments, you would just expand the reserve regiments and send them off to war.

It would probably take the reserves 2 years of training (and firing people) to put them into a position to deploy overseas as regiments

I find this pledge embarrassing and amateurish.

Jarnhamar said:
It would probably take the reserves 2 years of training (and firing people) to put them into a position to deploy overseas as regiments.

Sort of like WWII 

You could reduce the training requirements and send what you have but you'd probably have a few glowing defeats your first few engagements.  Dieppe comes to mind.

It would be nice to see more money avaiable to the reserves after the last few years of cuts that eliminated many positions from NAVRES. Even with the 60/40 split on the MCDV's we are struggling to fill positions after the last five years of telling trained, dedicated people to work somewhere else.

Perhaps this will help getting the SIP sorted out and keep the Reserve units happy.

Are there incentives for Regular Force members who have finished their contracts and wish to leave but go PRes? If not that would help tremendously with what Harper has planned. I'm not sure how the process is from Reg to PRes but that would be a great asset to reserve regiments across the country.

FortYorkRifleman said:
Are there incentives for Regular Force members who have finished their contracts and wish to leave but go PRes? If not that would help tremendously with what Harper has planned. I'm not sure how the process is from Reg to PRes but that would be a great asset to reserve regiments across the country.

You assume a lot of Reg Force members want to serve after they leave a Reg Force.  A lot of Reg Force officers and soldiers don't really like the Reserves and look at the entire organization with contempt.  When a lot of people leave the Reg Force, they leave the CAF for good.

FortYorkRifleman said:

On your release form there is are two check boxes, one saying "I want to be transfered to the Primary Reserve" or "I do not...".

Are there incentives to doing so? No more than whatever you would consider a benefit of being part of the PRes.

RoyalDrew said:
You assume a lot of Reg Force members want to serve after they leave a Reg Force.  A lot of Reg Force officers and soldiers don't really like the Reserves and look at the entire organization with contempt.  When a lot of people leave the Reg Force, they leave the CAF for good.

Add that to the list of things to fix in the CAF, then.

RoyalDrew said:

I've always been of the opinion that it was dependant on their level of professionalism that dictaded their view of the reserves. 

A lot of regular force members choose to leave for good because they can't double dip anymore or are just tired of the CAF as a whole or just want to enjoy retirement like any other Canadian.

Crantor said:
I've always been of the opinion that it was dependant on their level of professionalism that dictaded their view of the reserves. 

There is that, I would also suspect that the level of professionalism (good or bad) that they have observed from the reserves plays a part as well. 

Quite frankly unless there is some sort of substantial restructuring of the reserves, the promise from Mr. Harper is as hollow as the units themselves.

Crantor said:

A lot of regular force members choose to leave for good because they can't double dip anymore or are just tired of the CAF as a whole or just want to enjoy retirement like any other Canadian.

Notice I didn't say whether I support that view  ;) but you can't deny that it doesn't exist.  I used to be in the Reserves and it has it's place but I can't hold my hand on my chest and say the unit I was part of was in any way, shape or form, a professional military organization able to be called upon at a moments notice by the government.

It was a glorified old boys drinking club like so many small town Regiments are.  It had and still has deep political connections to the community but it's military value was/is negligble at best.  Now could this unit like so many others provide a valuable military contribution?

With the proper funding, structure, leadership and fulltime cadre sure but you and I both know that's not going to happen.  Until it does, the Reserves; notwithstanding lots of very strong individuals with all the qualities to make top soldiers and officers, will remain an organization whose primary focus is social functions with politicians along with buttons and bows. 

That's on the Leadership of the Army Reserve.  It is the citizen army and it is what you want it to be.  :2c:

The differences between one Reserve unit and all others will vary.  Some are very "professional", some not so, and some are just "social clubs".  The same may be said for Regular Force pers who may be Releasing, in that some want nothing to do with the military after Release, and others may hold a special bond with their former Reserve units.  Experiences will vary.

FortYorkRifleman said:

I think you are looking at it from the wrong end.  Why incentivize soldiers to go Reserve when it makes better economic sense to incentivize them to stay in the Reg Force?  It costs more to recruit and train that regular replacement to the same standard than it does to recruit and train a reservist who does not have to meet the same standard.

RoyalDrew said:
The unit I was part of was in any way, shape or form, a professional military organization able to be called upon at a moments notice by the government.

Now could this unit like so many others provide a valuable military contribution?

Given the current state of the regular army, navy and airforce I would hazard a guess that with the exception of a few high readiness units the regular force is in exactly the same shape (proportionately speaking) and they are supposed to have the assets to do this. 

This is a CAF wide problem that isn't just limited to the reserves.

Back