• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stabbing in Petawawa

The base was on lock-down.
Suspect has now been caught.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/06/28/ottawa-petawawa-manhunt-death-stabbing-injuries-shoreline-suspect-armed-dangerous.html

Suspect in fatal stabbing arrested in Petawawa, Ont., after manhunt

A man has been arrested in Petawawa, Ont., after a multiple stabbing left one man dead and two females critically injured on Friday.

Petawawa residents were being told to stay inside and secure their homes while police combed the town, searching for the suspect..................

I laught at the thought of Garrison Petawawa being on "lock down" (What, are we school children now?). Everyone was sent home after lunch. The place was pretty much empty already, with everyone looking forward for any excuse to leave early.

Pity the entire MP det was called in to work today though.

The amount of cop cars and ambulances heading to the area was crazy, passed a bunch on my way back to Pembroke from Petawawa. First time I saw an ambulance ever drive completely on the wrong side of the road, some jackass didn't pull over.

A reminder - this is a very recent current event, still unfolding, so please keep a grip on the speculation, let the justice system do its job and remember that NO media story ever tells the entire story.
The daughter of the man killed by a knife-wielding stranger in Petawawa chased her father’s killer out of the house.

Karisma Pietersma identified the man slain Friday morning in the mostly military town as her dad, Dan Pietersma, on Facebook.

“(Rest in peace) Dan Pietersma. I love you so very much. I will miss you more then (sic) anyone will know,” his daughter wrote.

A 25-year-old man was arrested by police in connection with the killing and two other stabbings.

Upper Ottawa Valley OPP were investigating three stabbings and three separate crime scenes Friday.

Pietersma, 56, was found dead by police when they arrived at his home at 5 East St. in a riverfront neighbourhood not far from CFB Petawawa, just before 11 a.m. Friday. His wife, Sharlene, 55, was in critical condition at the Ottawa Hospital Friday night and was undergoing surgery.

A block over on Jan Drive, Emma Guthrie, 17, was taken to hospital on a stretcher after neighbours saw wounds around her neck and shoulders. The Citizen could not receive an update on her condition.

( .... )

The 25-year-old, of no fixed address, was arrested in Petawawa Friday afternoon after a dramatic 2 1/2-hour manhunt that deployed the OPP’s emergency response team. He was finally apprehended by police and the canine unit at 1:25 p.m. Friday, but two hours later a helicopter continued to sweep the area police were investigating. The suspect was in custody facing a murder charge, OPP spokeswoman Sgt. Kristine Rae confirmed. Police said they would not release his name until he appears in court and is formally charged ....
Ottawa Citizen, 28 Jun 13

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased, and fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery for the injured.

A 25-year-old man has been charged with first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder after a stabbing attack in Petawawa, Ont., left one man dead and a woman and teenage girl critically injured.

Brian David Goddard appeared in a Kingston, Ont., courtroom on Saturday morning via video from the Ontario Provincial Police detachment where he is being held, according to OPP Sgt. Kristine Rae.

Rae said Goddard, who has no fixed address, will be remanded in custody until his next court appearance on Tuesday in Pembroke.

( .... )

Police said he has no connection to CFB Petawawa ....
CBC.ca, 29 Jun 13

Brian Goddard, accused of the first degree murder of a Petawawa man, made a brief appearance in bail court in Pembroke on Tuesday, the first step in his trial in connection to the June 28 attacks that sent Petawawa into chaos.

Goddard, who is also facing two counts of attempted murder in connection with the attacks, wore a cast on his left arm and shackles on his right as he was led into the dock for the short proceeding.

( .... )

Goddard will be back in court via video for a remand appearance on Thursday afternoon, July 25.
Pembroke Daily Observer, 3 Jul 13

It was a pretty scary day. I live on the North side of base and this happened close to the South side. Had I been at work, my daughter would have been at her babysitters, which was right beside the school that was locked down. There were cops all over my street, in my yard. My friends husband was in the field training and had fake blood all over him when he got home. His house was right in front of the school where there were dozens of cops. He had no idea what was going on until he was tackled and handcuffed by the cops outside his house.

Back