• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Service Medal - Domestic Operations Bar

It’s worth noting that the US military honours system it’s a whole beast on its own.

As is the US emergency services system.

The City of New York awards these medals every year to their police officers, firefighters, EMTs and paramedics on "Medal Day".

That is their tradition.
It was never ours.

So, it's pretty hard to miss something you never had.

Not to suggest the Canadian way is better, or worse, than theirs. Just different.

But, I suspect if a Canadian were to suggest their emergency services replace their departmental medal system with one single ESM from the feds after 20 years, like we do, the answer would be, "Thanks, but no thanks."

FDNYmedals.jpgNYPD_Medal_Poster-574x698.jpg

There was a private member’s bill introduced in Parliament on Friday to establish a Special Service Medal for Domestic Emergency Relief Operations. Eligibility would be current or former CAF, RCMP, firefighters, and first responders with at least seven days of qualifying service.

Obviously as a private member’s bill it’s a long shot, but still noteworthy.

Check the criteria. Its the same as the SSM for us and (as of yet) does not Domestic Operations.
Of note, last year the UK created the Humanitarian Medal

On 23 July 2023 the Government announced the introduction of a Humanitarian Medal. The Humanitarian Medal will be awarded to those in public service and members of organisations that contribute on behalf of HM Government, such as charities, which respond in support of human welfare during or in the aftermath of a crisis - for example, in combating a life-threatening crisis; providing disaster relief or aid provision; whether in hazardous circumstances such as conflict zones or otherwise; both in the UK and internationally.

Similarly, Australian created the National Emergency Medal in 2011: National Emergency Medal - Wikipedia

There was a private member’s bill introduced in Parliament on Friday to establish a Special Service Medal for Domestic Emergency Relief Operations. Eligibility would be current or former CAF, RCMP, firefighters, and first responders with at least seven days of qualifying service.

Obviously as a private member’s bill it’s a long shot, but still noteworthy.

Gee, might be able to add an SSM for flood ops in 2014...

Of note, last year the UK created the Humanitarian Medal

On 23 July 2023 the Government announced the introduction of a Humanitarian Medal. The Humanitarian Medal will be awarded to those in public service and members of organisations that contribute on behalf of HM Government, such as charities, which respond in support of human welfare during or in the aftermath of a crisis - for example, in combating a life-threatening crisis; providing disaster relief or aid provision; whether in hazardous circumstances such as conflict zones or otherwise; both in the UK and internationally.

Similarly, Australian created the National Emergency Medal in 2011: National Emergency Medal - Wikipedia
Most going to those that supported during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ironic that Canada only provided the OSM-HUMANITAS to those in the CAF that were CFTPOed to Op LASER, but all other civilian/OGD supporters have no recognition.

Wild

Most going to those that supported during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ironic that Canada only provided the OSM-HUMANITAS to those in the CAF that were CFTPOed to Op LASER, but all other civilian/OGD supporters have no recognition.

Wild
When did that happen? The OSM-HUMANITAS is reserved for outcan missions only.

I was on OP LASER, so I would have known if a medal was issued. There was talk of the Platinum Jubilee medal or Coronation medal covering, but neither have been issued.

I was on OP LASER, so I would have known if a medal was issued. There was talk of the Platinum Jubilee medal or Coronation medal covering, but neither have been issued.
Apologies. My brain conflated the Op GLOBE folks with LASER pers. It is a travesty that they haven't established any recognition for it.

Apologies. My brain conflated the Op GLOBE folks with LASER pers. It is a travesty that they haven't established any recognition for it.
Indeed. They did announce a coronation medal last year, and no movement has happened with it, while a jubilee medal wasn't even mentioned.

Real heroes were these folks:

Skip The Dishes GIF by Global TV

380957874_10167903913735641_4060781858673774072_n.jpg
Some people got coins.

Back