• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Commissioning Plan ( SCP )

Kramer

Inactive
Reaction score
I've read and understood (I think) the relevant DAOD (9-70), I've Googled the internet, and I've searched these forums but I'm still looking for some "real life" comments and observations about the SCP - how well does it work/not work in practice, what are a person's chances of being successful, etc...

My military background, for what it's worth, and if it may help:  currently a PRes Avn Tech (514), QL5A qualified, Cpl, 2.5 years of service (almost entirely Class B).  In case any one looking at those SCP applications cares, I also got the top student award on my Avn QL3 course.  Plan to go Reg force next year (Trenton, if I can get it).
My academic/civilian background:  engineering degree (eng. phys./mechanical, but crappy marks- only mid 60's average), ten years as an electronics design engineer (telecom and aerospace), P.Eng. license, civilian CPL/ME/IFR (but very low TT), 36 years old.

Yes, I know, I could try DEO but for various good reasons (I believe) I want try to go the Reg NCM, then SCP route.  The only officer trade in which I'm truly interested (except for 32, for which I don't meet the vision requirements) is Aere (41), so that's the one I would apply for under SCP.

I know there are no guarantees and there's always risk but I'm about to make some major decisions based on some major assumptions that I'm kind of vague on - so any practical ideas/comments/observations regarding the SCP would be much appreciated.  You never know if there's one little detail you missed that may be critical, right ?

Thanks,
Cosmo

P.S.  No, I can't just go for a chat with my local BPSO or reg force buddies because they are not around (I'm an Avn Tech but I'm not even close to any CF base, believe it or not...).

Talk to Kincanucks. He's pretty swift, and will be able to advise you. If that doesn't work out, PM me

My advice is to stop making this hard on yourself. If you can go DEO then do it.

I don't know your particular situation but I do know that UTPNCM is almost completely closed to those that already have a degree.

SCP/CFR is by nomination only. In other words you have to not only be skilled enough and have the required "officer like qualities" but someone in the chain of command, preferably a lot of someones in the chain of command have to not only think that you would make a good officer but they have to personally like you and think of nominating you before you ever get your foot in the door.

Just my .02

Stop wasting time and go DEO as there is absolutely no guarantee that you are going to get nominated for SCP.

Talk to Kincanucks. He's pretty swift, and will be able to advise you

You forgot blunt.

Blunt, but a tea-loving, pinky-extending pal to all those in need

Greetings.  I have been reading the posts here on ARMY.CA for some time now. Until now, I feel it is time for me to post something since I know the breadth of knowledge on this board is pretty outstanding!

A little about my situation:

I have been in RForce approaching 4 years this Jan 09.  I am currently a Leading Seaman and gainfully employed as a Comm Rsch Op here in Ottawa.  Before joining, I finished x2 B.As and am currently qualified as a Intermediate - Senior Level Teacher in Ontario (if I choose to be reinstated for nonpayment of Membership).

From the outset, my plan was to get my feet wet as an NCM, gain some valuable insight, trade experience and mentorship from senior ranking members. Despite prodding from the local CFRC to enter as a DEO and hesitance of committing to the unknown, I temporarily put the idea of eventually pursuing a Commissioning later in my career. 

Well, I am at that point.  Last year, my initial attempts to submit my papers under the SCP was received with support from my CoC.  However, my submission hit a snag somewhere and it turned into a lot of finger pointing and I subsequently missed last year's competition (07-08).  Moving on, I finished my QL5s this summer and resubmitted my papers.  The current CoC identified where the obstacle occurred in last years attempt and was swift and diligent in ensuring it did not happen again. 

Unfortunately, I was injured while on course.  When I returned to my home unit and after excruciating pain, I went to the MIR.  Immediately I was booked with a MRI in two days (God bless the CF!).   The results were a herniated disc in my lower back requiring immediate Physio.  I was also put on TCat for six months which I did not think would impede my process since I was essentially given the Green light to attempt my Express test.

Yesterday I was informed that despite my papers being submitted before the deadline to the local BPSO and even if I were to pass/exempt my Express Test they could not process my SCP application. 

My question to the ARMY.CA community is as follows:

Simply, do I have any recourse in this matter? I know that there are some CFAOs outlining the inability to process an applicant who is on TCAT but can anyone think/brainstorm a possible loophole I can take.

As a side note, this summer that passed I was selected to Deploy next Sep 09.  My immediate CoC informed me that even on TCAT this would not prevent my from participating on my workup training so I can deploy with my initial Roto.  He said (and I haven't had time to research this yet) a new Policy Directive was just released clarifying that even those on TCAT are eligible to deploy (depending on  limitations -- mine should be minimal).  Does anyone think I have a hope in Hell using the intention spelled out in this alleged Policy Directive to further my case to permit my papers to be processed?

Cheers.

Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction PMedMoe. 

Cheers,

Vojnik

Someone mentioned to me in passing that the SCP for this year is now open.
Could someone with access to the DWAN confirm this and post the CANFORGEN if it exists? 

Also, I have tried to download the forms that used to have hyperlinks on the CFSU(O) website to get a head start on getting the ball rolling.

After leaving a couple of voice messages followed up by an email on my DWAN account requesting these forms as per the web site's instructions I still have no response.  I am wondering if they are revamping their recruiting/application process.  Does anyone have electronic copies of the following documents?:

"..All Programs

Personnel Selection Officer (PSO) - Program Application Check List, 27 July 2011
    PSO Referral Form, 09 Mar 2009
    Confirmation of Conduct Sheet, 24 July 2008
    Confirmation of Medical Category Form, 28 May 2008..."

Thanks a million!

Canforgen was released today but I currently don't have access to it...

I haven't talked to a BPSO yet, and I don't really have time as my QL3 starts the beginning of February. 
I have been told by my Sgt that I am eligible for the Special Commissoning Plan.  I am obviously an untrained Pte.  I know it is competitive and all that stuff, and I did apply to be an Officer when I was getting in but the trade closed with all the jobs being given internally to people already in the forces and it never opened up so I became an NCM. 

So if I wanted to do the SCP, it says as a Pte I would have to do BOTC part 1 and part 2.  I believe this means that I would have to go back to St. Jean and do BMOQ, although my Sgt seems to believe that I will be able to do other courses instead of going and doing another Basic Training.  Does anyone know if this is true or if there any leadership courses I can take as a Pte to avoid BOTC?

Also what pay scale would SCP fall under?  On the CF pay scale on the forces.ca site they don't have a spot.  Would it just be under the DEO pay scale?

Thank you very much.

To bypass BMOQ (BOTC 1 and 2), you need to have PLQ to bypass the first part, and ILQ to bypass the second, none of which you'll get in time for SCP.  There's really no way around it.

I believe, this is no longer the case. For one BOTC in the from of IAP and BOTP doesn't exist any more. It is BMOQ and it is a single course. My understanding is that BMQ is grounds for bypass of at least some of BMOQ. I was granted an IAP bypass (under the old system) even though I did not have PLQ. There was one person who had 3 years in and was granted a IAP bypass.
I would write a memo requesting a BMOQ bypass and see what happens. They will initiate a PLAR and it may grant you credit for part of the course or all of the course. With the exception of battle procedure, it is basically the same course as BMQ skill wise. You would miss the leadership aspects of it but you would still have other course to pick that up.

Give it a shot. All they can say is no.

BMQ and BMOQ are not...not 'the same except for BP". 

I guess 'missing the leadership aspects' of BMOQ aren't important...for Officers.  No biggy.  :facepalm:

Your advice on submitting the PLAR is bang on.  Let the PLAR folks at CDA do their thing.

Thank you very much.  I most definitely will.  It says that spec trades get promoted to Lt after their training instead of just 2Lt.  Now does that mean the trade they are going into is spec, or the trade they are coming from is spec?

There is no such thing as Spec pay for Officers, NCM only.

Good luck with your application!

Dimsum said:
To bypass BMOQ (BOTC 1 and 2), you need to have PLQ to bypass the first part, and ILQ to bypass the second, none of which you'll get in time for SCP.  There's really no way around it.

Not entirely accurate. While it used to be the case that you flat out required ILQ (and before that SLC) to get a complete BOTC bypass, it now appears that it is decided on a case by case basis. I commissioned as a Sgt (6A qualified, without ILQ) - submitted a PLAR - and I received a complete bypass of St Jean -- I didn't even get an invite to the "Officership Colloquium".

To the OP -- SCP is a fantastic program, and if your Sergeant is recommending you, I wouldn't let the prospect of a few weeks in St Jean slow you down. Apply, and keep applying! One of the great things about SCP is that since the minimum requirement is only QL3 -- if you don't get picked up on your first application, it is easy to show improvement in your file. You can apply after QL3, after QL4, after QL5, after PLQ, etc... One of the best Senior Officers I know was commissioned under UTPNCM. And he got turned down the first time he applied, accepted the second time. Commissioning programs are extremely competitive, and there's no harm or shame in applying for one and not getting selected.

Eye In The Sky said:
BMQ and BMOQ are not...not 'the same except for BP". 

I guess 'missing the leadership aspects' of BMOQ aren't important...for Officers.  No biggy.  :facepalm:

Your advice on submitting the PLAR is bang on.  Let the PLAR folks at CDA do their thing.

I have done both and BP was the only real difference in terms of skills taught. I don't have easy access to the QSP any more but the PO checks were almost all the same.

But as I said, that is what CDA is for. I can say from my experience, the first 8 weeks were review at best but that could not be the typical experience.

Back