• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some of the bought & paid for media

Wow. 393 employees and $90 million in debt and sale at $1 million. If that doesn't tell you what's wrong nothing will. Wonder what assets and debt flows to Postmedia in the deal.

:cool:

One can argue that the Toronto Star (owned by Postmedia, traditionally right-leaning) ...
You may be thinking of the Toronto Sun, which is owned by Postmedia. The Star & Postmedia were reportedly starting to talk merger-ish things last year or '22, but those ground to a halt ....
Wow. 393 employees and $90 million in debt and sale at $1 million. If that doesn't tell you what's wrong nothing will. Wonder what assets and debt flows to Postmedia in the deal.
And what's the quickest way for a company to cut costs? I'm looking at you, 393 folks .... Meanwhile, prepare for more news out of Toronto, East Coasters.

Leveraged buyouts are a means to extract lots of money at usurious rates from cash flow positive businesses and then abandon them to bankruptcy.

That Postmedia has survived this long suggests a desire by their hedge fund managers to exploit their media dominance.

Well, it all makes cents now ;)

CBC paid out $18.4 million in bonuses in 2024 after it eliminated hundreds of jobs​

The bonuses went to nearly 1,200 employees; $3.3 million went to 45 executives​

Documents obtained through access to information laws show CBC/Radio-Canada paid bonuses to 1,194 employees for the 2023-24 fiscal year.

More than $3.3 million of that sum was paid to 45 executives.

That means those executives got an average bonus of over $73,000, which is more than the median family income after taxes in 2022, according to Statistics Canada.

More than $10.4 million was paid out to 631 managers and over $4.6 million was paid to 518 other employees.

The Conservatives said the bonuses are "beyond insulting and frankly si

Well, it all makes cents now ;)

CBC paid out $18.4 million in bonuses in 2024 after it eliminated hundreds of jobs​

The bonuses went to nearly 1,200 employees; $3.3 million went to 45 executives​

Documents obtained through access to information laws show CBC/Radio-Canada paid bonuses to 1,194 employees for the 2023-24 fiscal year.

More than $3.3 million of that sum was paid to 45 executives.

That means those executives got an average bonus of over $73,000, which is more than the median family income after taxes in 2022, according to Statistics Canada.

More than $10.4 million was paid out to 631 managers and over $4.6 million was paid to 518 other employees.

The Conservatives said the bonuses are "beyond insulting and frankly si

This reminds me of a conversation with a friend the other day. He’s in the US and we were talking about the Olympics.

I shared a Reddit post about how the CBC coverage differs from the NBC coverage, and he said that because he doesn’t have cable (I don’t either), the only legal way for him to watch the Olympics is to pay for NBC’s Peacock app.

So, he VPNs and watches it on CBC Gem and CBC YouTube for free (well, minus VPN costs) instead.

Back