• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So I'm in the market for a new(er) car...any suggestions?

Don't worry about the Corolla taking 10 minutes to pass a semi - it only takes 2 - j/k.

You really can't go wrong with the Camry, but negotiate on the price. Toyotas have a decent resale value and the dealers try to play that up by asking sticker price. Get the book value and offer 3% over that to cover the dealer's profit. When we bought our cars Mr. TMM managed to knock a few thou of each purchase, so don't be afraid to negotiate hard.

Well....may have some really good news within the next couple of days.

I'll just leave it at that for now.    ;)

Regards

Hyundai Canada is replacing my old Santa Fe with a new one on Tuesday, hand control equipped, at no cost to us.  Hyundai has been very supportive of our troops, and of my family in particular. 
BTW, I love my Santa Fe!  Good mileage, largest cargo area of a smaller SUV, top notch customer service, great warranty.  All of it.
Have a good Wednesday.
Audra

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Even though I didn't purchase any of the suggested vehicles it was very helpful.

I purchased a 2007 Honda Fit on Saturday, and so far I love every bit of it.

Thanks again.

Hey,

Get a VW Golf Turbo Direct INjection (Diesel)

Franko said:
Well I'm looking and probably going to buy within the next few months so I'm throwing it out there.

This is what I'm looking for:

- mid size car

- fuel economy (especially these days)

- warrenty coverage

- Wear and tear

- possibility of hybrid cars. If you own one how is it so far?

What I am not willing to buy:

- Ford or Honda products (overpriced and parts are through the roof. Customer service is atrocious...etc, etc)

- Trucks...I have no need for one.

Right now I'm leaning towards the VW GTI. I am a MOPAR guy and have been for years...so it pains me not to buy a Charger.

So what do you recommend?

Regards

I have also been look to buy a new car and to-date the only (used since I will never buy new) would be a Honda Civic.....they don't depreciate like other cars, great on mileage and once you try one....you will be hooked!

PS - the only way to kill a Honda engine.....is to forget the oil  ;D

Well finally got a new car.

After all the searching and looking at different models over the past few weeks we settled on one that suited our needs.

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT.

The thing that sold me on it was the warrenty.

5yr bumper to bumper with no deductable on any warrenty work, servicing, road hazzard warrenty, trip coverage, paint and undercoating warrenty for the life of the car....etc etc.

So Saturday me, ze frau, and my sister in-law went for a spin to do the break in according to the book. Very painfull driving at 50km for 100km then 80-90km/h for 400km. Of course the bedding of the brakes and such with the gradual acceleration during highway driving was getting monotonous.

Quite a relief when 500km rolled over on the odometer.....could finally go the speed limit.

So after all is said and done, we are quite happy with our purchase.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions...it made our researching much easier.

Regards

How much you paying a month if you dont mind me asking?Got to rid myself of the japanese "zero" parked in the drive way.2 years and rusting.

Well, since Franko got his car, I'm going to hijack the thread... ;)

Does anyone have a Toyota Tacoma? I'm looking into getting a midsize truck.. I'm leaning more towards the Tacoma now than the Dakota..

Simysmom
Saw you guys on the news here. I'm so glad that the man in your life can now go do things with his little double. Good for Hyundi Canada for doing that for all of you.

In October I took delivery of my 2006 Jetta TDI - 6spd automatic (Tiptronic).  I get the mythical 1000+km/tank when I drive at reasonable speeds.  I commute 100 km to work every day and average 140km/h on the road.

The 06 Jetta is a major improvement over the previous iteration.  It's a lot roomier, full of nifty little add-ons, quiet, well put together, and comfortable.  Gone are the retarded cupholders above the CD player (replaced with more conventional centre console ones, as well as oversized holders in the door.  Volkswagen seems to listen to its consumers and I know the cupholders thing was an issue.

The maintenance is a stinger if you're not prepared for it - stand by for $90 oil changes (though only every 16,000 km) and a few big services.  However, I absolutely love the car and I love the gas mileage.  I was taken a little aback by the 32,000 km service (about $375 for the service), but at the same time the car came back to me washed, polished, vacuumed, and with a very thorough report, including the degree of wear on the brakes and tires, and everything checked out.  I never got anything like that level of service on my last car (which was a Chev Cavalier, junk.)

I highly recommend the Jetta - the price tag is higher than a lot of cars around but at the same time they tend to hold that value a lot longer.

Has anybody had any experience with Acura?

I've been eyeballing, but just that... eyeballing.

No, but my buddy has a 1.6 EL and won't shut up about it.

I am getting ready to drop $ on a '03 Nissan Maxima SE (6 speed), like driving a rocket, that fits the kids!

Well, went into the dealer the other day.

Seems the financing pers forgot some paperwork...not a big deal.

Was waiting for a few minutes and asked the parts guys if they had any polishing compund or rubbing compund that Mopar has on the market.

They asked why and of course I had to tell them that I had a couple of scratches on the driver side....due to an inconciderate asshole in the local mall parking lot. Light scratches, nothing major.

Next thing I knew they were taking in the car and buffed it out at no charge and nothing put against the paint warrenty at all.

I was impressed. This dealer has been rumoured to be the worst of all the dealers in the local area. So far it's nothing but good things from what I can see.

I'll let you know if anything changes the next time I have a service check.

Regards

Back