• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Skipping Classes

Kruggle

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a little bit worried about what the recruiting people will think about my situation. I skipped 2 grades in some subjects in high school and so I don't have credits for Math 8, Math 10, and Science 10. I finished Math 12 and Biology 12 in grade 10 and I got 100% in both of them. However, during the interview, I was told that Math 10 and Science 10 are part of the minimum Education requirement so they think my situation is a little awkward. They are not sure what is going to happen with my application at this point, but I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before. I am feeling a little lost, as I am not sure whether I should sign up for these classes in the summer just so I have enough credits for enrollment? I was really nervous during the interview because not many questions were asked in details and I kept thinking that something was wrong with my application. The interview lasted for about 10 minutes, which was 80% shorter than how long I thought it would be. Anyway, I am glad I was told that my application is competitive enough for pilot if my medical goes well, but I am not even sure if he says that to all the applicants.... Now I am just worried about my medical and high school credits. argh.

Seems to me you've exceeded the minimum by completely Math 12 and Bio 12, and you do have your HS diploma.... The minimums for courses are to cover people that didn't finish HS. Though ackward, I don't forsee a problem, however the recruiting process is wonky at times.

Kruggle said:
Anyway, I am glad I was told that my application is competitive enough for pilot if my medical goes well, but I am not even sure if he says that to all the applicants.... Now I am just worried about my medical and high school credits. argh.

If he said that your application is competitive enough for pilot, then your application is competitive enough for pilot. He would not tell applicants whose files are NOT competitive for pilot that they are competitive, if it isn't true.

Ummm... if you have your Gr 12 math, then you have been evaluated and have been considered to have passed Gr 10.

The issue of Gr 10 math only becomes an issue for people who,sse math stops at Gr 9.... ditto on the other subjects

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Did your interview really last 10 minutes or did it just seem like it? They typically last 45 minutes and can run up to an hour-and-a-half, if conducted properly. BTW, if you don't have a pilot's licence (preferably commercial or multi-engine) and a degree-your chances of getting picked up for Pilot are between slim and nil. I do believe that there are zero CEOTP positions available presently. Sorry, that's just the facts, Jack.

Jack Nastyface said:
BTW, if you don't have a pilot's licence (preferably commercial or multi-engine) and a degree-your chances of getting picked up for Pilot are between slim and nil

Thats about as wrong as it gets.

CDN Aviator said:
Thats about as wrong as it gets.
With all due respect CDN Aviator, that,in reality, is about as true as it gets. Check my profile and see where I  work. That info is missing on your profile, so I have no idea of your level of knowledge in the recruiting field. Let's just say that I have been lurking here for over a year. In that time I have been conducting interviews to CF applicants. I am telling you, from the horse's mouth, that even someone with a private pilot's licence has a hard time getting the numbers to exceed the QCL for the PLT occupation.  The QCL (i.e. a score from the combined CFAT results, academic quals and marks plus interview score assigned to an applicant) was raised considerably because last year we had almost 600 applicants for 74 PLT positions. Therefore, we can cherry pick, which is what a high QCL allows us to do. Have you checked the Officer Production tables (if you have access) lately to see how many DEO and CEOTP PLT positions there are up for grabs? Not very many.

Jack Nastyface said:
With all due respect CDN Aviator, that,in reality, is about as true as it gets. Check my profile and see where I  work. That info is missing on your profile, so I have no idea of your level of knowledge in the recruiting field. Let's just say that I have been lurking here for over a year. In that time I have been conducting interviews to CF applicants. I am telling you, from the horse's mouth, that even someone with a private pilot's licence has a hard time getting the numbers to exceed the QCL for the PLT occupation.  The QCL (i.e. a score from the combined CFAT results, academic quals and marks plus interview score assigned to an applicant) was raised considerably because last year we had almost 600 applicants for 74 PLT positions. Therefore, we can cherry pick, which is what a high QCL allows us to do. Have you checked the Officer Production tables (if you have access) lately to see how many DEO and CEOTP PLT positions there are up for grabs? Not very many.

Fair enough. Although you will forgive me for doubting your "facts" as i am surrounded by pilots ( both wings qualified and those still waiting for training) who had never been at the controls of an airplane until they joined the CF.

CDN Aviator said:
Fair enough. Although you will forgive me for doubting your "facts" as i am surrounded by pilots ( both wings qualified and those still waiting for training) who had never been at the controls of an airplane until they joined the CF.
CDN Aviator, that was then, this is now. Believe me everyone wants to be a Top Gun, especially now that V2 and laser eye surgery are now permitted for PLT applicants. Just like most of the INFMN applicants I see want to be Snipers (they are all great shots on PS3, apparently). ::) It is exceedingly hard to get into the CF as a PLT presently as the jobs are just not there. Of course, that can change at any time if Air Canada starts hiring again! ;)

Jack Nastyface said:
CDN Aviator, that was then, this is now. Believe me everyone wants to be a Top Gun, especially now that V2 and laser eye surgery are now permitted for PLT applicants. Just like most of the INFMN applicants I see want to be Snipers (they are all great shots on PS3, apparently). ::) It is exceedingly hard to get into the CF as a PLT presently as the jobs are just not there. Of course, that can change at any time if Air Canada starts hiring again! ;)

Fair enough.

Back